Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #124  (Read 964 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #124
« on: November 22, 2004, 09:10:11 AM »
November 21, 2004.

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG) announces the following breaking news for Dark Shadows (DS).

*** SG Online Update #123 earlier this month remembered DON BRISCOE, who died 10-31 at his home in Memphis, age 64. Don portrayed Tom Jennings, Chris Jennings, Timothy Shaw, and Chris Collins on DS and co-starred in the 1970 theatrical film "House of Dark Shadows" as Todd Jennings, fiance of Barnabas' victim/doomed vampire Carolyn Stoddard

The cause of death was attributed to heart disease, though he also had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and was affected by other mental conditions. His sister Bonny Jenkins commented, "He suffered. He went through a lot of mental torture all these last years. He was a poor, sweet soul, but that disorder can be so evil."

He was born in Mississippi, eventually moving with his family to Memphis. He earned a master's degree in English from NY's Columbia University but was drawn to acting and appeared in TV series, soaps, commercials, and theater productions. He was in 95 DS episodes from 1968-1970, but soon considered himself retired from acting. He later returned to Memphis, where he remained until his death.

The upcoming SG #103 print issue will honor Don.

*** DAVID SELBY (Quentin) stars in the original TV movie "Larva," expected to debut on Sci Fi Channel 1-15. Recent SG postal-mail newsletters detailed the film about a dirty meat-packing plant infested with mutant larvae. After the meat is eaten, the larvae grow inside the human body, setting up a potential epidemic threat across the country. The upcoming SG #103 print issue will feature more information.

David's mystery thriller movie SHADOW OF FEAR (working title: MAIN LINE) should be available on DVD in Jan.

*** MPI plans to send out a mass postal-mailing within the next 1-2 weeks featuring some of its DS merchandise. There are special sale prices for 2 recent releases:

--- The double CD audio drama "Return to Collinwood," the "first-ever sequel" to DS, is offered for $19.98 (regular price $24.98). It was performed onstage in the "live radio play" format at the 2003 DS Festival convention in Brooklyn, with 11 of the original cast members who reprised their characters or portrayed new characters specifically for this show. "Bob Cobert's authentic music score," sound effects, and live audience reactions were recorded at the same time. The 1 hour-45 minute CD release was recorded in the studio with the complete stage cast.

Written and directed by Jamison Selby (David's son), the script finds Collins family members and friends gathering at Collinwood to read Elizabeth's will and conduct a seance to contact her spirit. World-traveling Quentin comes home after a fruitless search for David in South America. Carolyn is an expert and professor of the paranormal; Willie and his wife run the Blue Whale bar and live in the Old House; and Maggie now is in charge of Wyndcliffe. Then others come together for the seance as well - including the sudden arrival of David's wife and the return of devious Cassandra, aka Angelique. The drama unfolds around the mysteries, fears, secrets, and power struggles between them all, leaving open as many new questions as it attempts to answer.

See SGs #100-101 print issues for more details about "Return to Collinwood," including exclusive pictures of the cast and director.

--- The career photo biography "Produced & Directed by Dan Curtis" chronicles his full career and the dozens of movies, TV films/series, and miniseries productions he has done, including DS. It is offered for $19.98 (regular price $24.98). There are approximately 300 photos, with an extensive section on DS, plus tributes from actors and cast/production lists for all his projects.

--- A multi-CD set of the complete original DS music cue library composed by Robert Cobert is planned for 2005.

--- MPI announces upcoming new merchandise, "a series of new collectible DS Collector's Jigsaw Puzzles."

More information about the music cue CDs and puzzles will be in SG #103 and subsequent SG print issues.

--- The DS DVD sets continue bi-monthly releases, 4 discs with 10 complete episodes each. Each disc has bonus comments from cast/crew members, including a number of recently-filmed interviews. The DVD Collectors Club offers reduced prices for each DVD set, members-only advance and exclusive items, and more.

The above items are available from the MPI website: www.mpihomevideo.com or by calling 800-323-0442 (in Illinois call 708-460-0555) weekdays.

*** SG Online Updates #121 - #122 - #123 premiere-announced the "DS Hollywood Weekend," sponsored by the DS Festival, will be held July 29-31, 2005 at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel, 1755 N. Highland Ave., Hollywood, CA 90028.  323-856-1200.

SG announces the guest list thus far: David Selby, Lara Parker, Nancy Barrett, Kathryn Leigh Scott, John Karlen, Jerry Lacy, Marie Wallace, Geoffrey Scott, Chris Pennock, James Storm, Sy Tomashoff, and Malcolm Marmorstein. Other guests to be announced.

This will be Geoffrey Scott's first DS event. He played "Schuyler Rumson" in the 1970 storyline. Those episodes will be released on DVD in 2005. Jerry Lacy (Tony Peterson, Rev. Trask, Gregory Trask, Lamar Trask), scenic designer Sy Tomashoff and writer Malcolm Marmorstein are welcomed back to the Fests after a few years' absence.

Planning is underway for the Weekend's activities and events. Guests will participate in audience Q&A/autograph sessions and dramatic performances, plus rare video screenings, an extensive Marketplace area, and much more. Further details will be in the upcoming SG #103 and future print issues, and on this Updates List.

Fest website: darkshadowsfestival.com

Thank you.

Marcy Robin
ShadowGram Editor / Publisher
ShadowGram@aol.com

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #124
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 12:08:55 PM »
This will be Geoffrey Scott's first DS event.

OMG! I just realized that the surprise, first-time guest who was hinted is Scott!!  :o

Well, yes, he's certainly an, uh, surprise.  :-X

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 03:28:17 PM »
Jeez....
Some people on here are so merciless.  Heh heh
It's not HIS fault he's such a bore.   8)   :-X
(at least I always found him boring)  (snooze)

;D

Yeah - they could have come up with a better surprise than that.
How about, like, oh I dunno......Kathy Cody.  Or maybe David Jay (YAY!). 

-Bored & Jaded  :-
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 07:28:48 PM »
 :D  Well, I for one am one happy Collinwoodie. I started going to the shows in '97 and never had a previous opportunity to meet Jerry Lacey, who to me played Barnabas's true arch enemies, the Trasks. When you think about it, they were more truly evil to our Barn than Angelique, the woman scorned. I think several years ago there was a fan poll on the Trasks, and Gregory was voted the most evil. In some ways, the first Trask although he was so pigheaded and self righteous, was on the right track.  There really WAS a witch behind the tribulations of the Collin's, he was just too damned stubborn to admit he had been outwiited by the witch and lead around to dreadfully wrong conclusions with deadly consequences. Gregory on the other hand, had no redeeming qualities, except a small daub of slimy charm. He was not even as admirable in his way as was Petofi. Lacey was wonderful playing each incarnation, even the few scenes he was given in parallel time. And of course, one wonders if Shadows was the first professional role he had that played off  his uncanny Bogart, as they did with Tony Peterson.
      As far as Geoffrey Scott, we have to welcome anyone who has never attended. Like many of us, I hope there are still a few surprises in store, so they may yet add Kate Jackson, Kathy Cody, Robert Rodan or even David Hennessey if not this year, then for 2006's 40TH Anniversary.
      I can't wait!

Michael,
          Your Cousin from Virginia
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 02:54:23 AM »
i was geoffrey scott?i don't recognize the name ???.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 03:01:28 AM »
Geoffrey Scott played Schuyler Rumson during Leviathan.  He was rather handsome, although not the best actor.

J-C (who continues to hope that Brian Sturdivant will turn up at one of these things...)  ;)