Author Topic: Watching Project/PT Question...SPOILER  (Read 880 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Watching Project/PT Question...SPOILER
« on: April 02, 2016, 05:07:06 AM »
Please, if you've never seen 1970 PT or read it, stop reading here, because it will be complete spoilage.

Random questions:

Liz=? Is she Elizabeth Collins Stoddard? Is Carolyn her daughter? How is Quentin related to her?

Roger=? Collins? How related?

Amy=?_____________????? (And, not much longer until she leaves, correct?)

Do we ever know how Will Loomis got caught up with the Collins'?

In Robservations ep 1027 I believe, Robin postulates on Thayer David's reaction to his 'step-daughter'. Then she says, "Is this why Alexis left for Florence? So she could find, _______, ________, and fortune (or fame)?
Did I miss something? Yes, she was in Florence, but was she some gifted sculptress?

Also, Robin mentions what a great/terrible HOFFMAN character is!!! Brava!

Now, I don't think any soaps (yet alone back then), would say, "Hey, for something new, let's 'borrow from' another novel.

Grayson (as well as J Frid) probably would've seen the obvious "Rebecca" 'borrowing'. Grayson is outstanding in this.

Has anyone ever heard of or if Grayson studying either the novel, or XOXO Judith Anderson's portrayal?

(For that matter, was 'Rebecca' ever put on as a play? I think it would be very daunting, because there's more than 2-3 backgrounds/sceneries.)

Love, Love, LOVE that Barn didn't let any moss grow on him; he knew 'h e r' shanigans almost from the get-go!

As we all know, as a witch, Ang has never been the sharpest tack in the bunch, but, with her own eyewitness of 'another parallel' featuring 'another Julia Hoffman', she might have at least thought, he, who is this guy? Does he know me from that 'other place'?

WHY AREN'T WE SEEING MORE CAROLYN!!
Yes, I realize it's Ang, Maggie, Hoffman, and some of Elizabeth, plus there's some chick who likes to 'play doctor'.

Where's David?

Is Bruno still around (again, I just finished 1027). I think not....

In this stor arc, Roger completely reminds me of the (((((Clifton Webb)))) in "Laura".

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Watching Project/PT Question...SPOILER
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 05:49:25 PM »
Hey Patti, In PT 1970, Elizabeth Stoddard had inherited some money, but the main heir to the Collins fortune and the business was Cousin Quentin.  It's never spoken of, but in the PT storyline you have to presume that the 1890s Quentin had been chosen by Grandmamamama Edith Collins to be the heir.  In that alternate reality, Quentin must have been rather better behaved and so escaped being cursed by Magda and, presumably, the whole scandalous marriage to Jenny and very public philandering escapade with Laura (etc.).  So, the head of the family descended through Quentin's children, rather than Jamison's as was the case in our own time-band.

There's a throwaway line that Liz has in one of the first PT episodes where she recalls to someone that she had entrusted Roger to manage her money on her behalf.  He ran through it all, and as a result, they were dependent on a monthly allowance from Quentin.

I agree with you that PT Roger Collins is based on the Clifton Webb character in Laura, which always struck me as a kind of alternate version of Rebecca.  PT Roger is actually "coded" as a closeted gay character.  A rather 1940s touch given that the story is set in 1970.

I'm sure Grayson knew of Judith Anderson's work as Danvers.  I find Grayson's portrayal of Hoffman to be on a rather different groove of sinister, tight-lipped disapproval.  I love it when the KLS character comments something like "Congratulations, Hoffman.  You're the only person who could turn an apology into a testimonial!"

I think Amy Collins is meant to be the sister of Chris Collins, similar to Amy and Chris in our timeband.  If you think of the revised alternate PT storyline I mentioned above, Amy and Chris would have been first cousins of PT Quentin, descended perhaps from a third child (a boy) Quentin might have had with his wife (we could discuss candidates for who Quentin would have married in the 1890s... I doubt whether either Beth  would have gone to the altar with him, but who knows).

Will is Carolyn's husband.  A lot of this is set forth in the first week of PT 1970 episodes.

And yeah, as of 1027, Bruno is still around.
G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 07:11:08 PM »
Thanks, G. That cleared up a lot of things for me.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 07:40:53 PM »
I very much agree about PT Roger...

while one could arguably look for gay "subtext" all over the place on the show (and make it up if it's not there) the writers very deliberately, yet on the sly, wrote PT Roger as a closeted homosexual.

that certainly couldn't be spelled out in specifics in 1970 on a daytime drama but all the "coding" is there. the scene where it's most fully crystallized is after the costume party where Roger is speaking to Angelique's portrait and reminiscing on how they would always mock the guests and what they were wearing at "her" parties. the attitude is not of sexual obsession but the sort of infatuation gay men often develop for glamorous, bitchy women. he was her "pet".

the writers were having a secret goof and Louis played it for all it was worth.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 04:32:32 AM »
So, Roger IS a Collins? In what way is he related to Liz (used up all 'their' monies)? How is Rog related to Quentin?

Does Quentin have any siblings? Who were his parents?

Also, no one mentioned Nancy Barrett...is she Liz's daughter?

Thanks,

Patti

LOVE CLIFTON WEBB!
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 11:47:38 AM »
I'm sorry are you watching the show?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 05:20:00 PM »
Yes Roger = Liz's brother and Carolyn = her daughter--same relationships as in our time.

G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 08:18:28 PM »
Thanks again, G, I was still wondering about Carolyn also. I figured this was the case but wasn't sure.