Author Topic: Don Briscoe Passes Away  (Read 6722 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Don Briscoe Passes Away
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2004, 07:24:10 PM »
Thanks for posting that Bobubas. 
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2004, 10:49:11 PM »
So when Don reached those pearly gates of heaven, I've no doubt Grayson teasingly greeted him in Julia-voice: "Tom Jennings! Noooooo!!!" - whereupon they hugged, and Grayson took his hand, assuring him,  "I'll take care of you, kid. No full moons up here. Just peace."

Sandor, thank you. You made this slightly more bearable...you brought a slight smile.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2004, 11:25:27 PM »
Oh, how sad. Don was always one of my favorite people on the show. I trust he's found peace.

Time doesn't stop for nobody...

--M
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2004, 11:04:06 AM »
Wow, this is really sad news!!  If he didn't know it then just how many fans he had  then he surely knows it now.  My prayers go out to him in that he is at peace now.

Thanks Bobubas for the photo!

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2004, 06:40:40 PM »
With every new post to this message I tear up at our loss and his family's. My Prayers are with his loved ones. I send a big hug to all of Don's Fans ( I count myself as one). RIP Don Briscoe may what eluded you in life be found on the other side.

On a side note wasn't Oct 31 a full Moon?

LdyAnne

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2004, 07:08:46 PM »
On a side note wasn't Oct 31 a full Moon?
LdyAnne

No.  The full moon was on the 29th.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2004, 09:40:07 PM »
OMG this has been an awfully depressing week as i have been tending too my
sick father(pancreatic cancer) and the horrible election which has devastated
him i just came on to see this news. i wish to thank Don if he is looking
down and say i hope he has gone to a better place ( i want to believe there is
a better place with less hate and more tolerance but this last election
has shaken my inner core ) i know you are at peace dear don and god bless you!
may you join the other departed DS actors once again

pattiv :'( (aka jennifer)
and steve i may have a rare drink tonight

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2004, 04:32:18 AM »
Jennifer, as you mourn with us over the loss of Don Briscoe, my thoughts are also with you as you tend to your father - and my thoughts are with your dad, too.

Gerard

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2004, 06:35:03 AM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
      My first opportunity to hit the board in a few weeks and such sad news for the DS world, with both Don and Dean passing. The last interview with Don I am aware of was in the Helen Samaras edited volume called "Fangs for the Memories" which I highly recommend to all DS fans. It was done in the early 90's I believe.
      I think Don like the late Joel Crothers is sometimes one of the more "unsung" cast members who added so much to the show. In many ways, Don's character of Chris Jennings was inspired by the Lon Chaney Jr. character of Larry Talbot the Wolfman who appreaed in no less than five films from the old Universal classics. Like Larry, Chris was a victim of fate and always the most sympathetic of the classic monster characters. Like his great grandfather Quentin, all Chris really wanted was to be free of his curse and live quietly with the woman he loved. Don like Chaney was often better than he has been given credit for and you can see his range especially when you compare the Jennings brothers to Tim Shaw. During his
DS era Don was often in the teen hearthrob magazines like 16 and Flip, but I have for some reason never forgotten Don's soap commercial, although I in my dim recollection thought it was for Dial, and for some reason I can hear Don saying the old adline, "Aren't you glad you use Dial. Don't you wish...everbody did?"

The imdb also lists an appearence on "I Dream of Jeannie" so Don will be on TV Land for years to come as well. (One other note of film history, the moonflower subplot on DS was derived from the earlier "Werewolf of London" fim of 1932 with Henry Hull, included on the recent Wolfman legeacy DVD set.)
      I would echo the comments of many who have put it so well that Don has gone on the the next world where no shows are ever canceled and he knows just how many fans he always had.

RIP Don, we miss you already

Michael
              Your cousin from Virginia
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2004, 02:42:15 AM »
Jennifer, as you mourn with us over the loss of Don Briscoe, my thoughts are also with you as you tend to your father - and my thoughts are with your dad, too.

you know Gerard i know you have been through it too and it is a part of life that
we just don't want to deal with but everyone's kind words help. i just have to believe
there is a better place on the other side.
much love to everyone
jennifer(aka pattiv)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2004, 08:41:44 PM »
I thought Mr. Briscoe played the reluctant werewolf with as much realism as Mr Frid did Barnabas the vampire.  He let his character show the real fear of something he coulld not control.  I do so hope he had some measured peace within himself in his last years.  At peace now I am sure.........
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2004, 12:01:34 AM »
Once again we are united in sorrow over losing a beloved DS cast member.  This one is especially poignant considering how much promise Don had early on his career.  Here's a bit of info that may brighten things a bit: a few months ago I discovered at the Musuem of TV & Radio a 1966 Days of our Lives episode starring Don Briscoe!!  This is a B/W kinescope with Don playing the role of "Tony Merritt" . 

With "Days" now on SoapNet, I'm hoping that the network will be able to go deep in the Columbia Television tape vaults for vintage episodes dating back to show#1 from November 8, 1965.  And here's the main reason why ALL DS fans should be interested in this:  all of the "Days" episodes in the Columbia vaults are in color, including Don's!  I have heard that there are plans for SoapNet to spin-off a "Classic SoapNet" channel that would air vintage soaps from years gone by.  If it comes to pass, I think that Columbia would supply the early episodes of "Days". Y&R, and possibly B&B.  Of course, DS would be a must for this proposed channel.  Who knows, maybe within the next few years we can see Don's "Days" episodes rerun on TV, along with his work on DS!

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2004, 07:50:41 PM »
Oh dear, this is just too sad for words.  Don was definitely one of my favorites on DS.  Here's hoping his sensitive soul finds the peace it deserves...

Love,

Cassandra Blair
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2004, 03:15:31 AM »
I have been away from the Board for many months due to my husband's illness.  He is recovering, thank you. And I am very sad at the news that Don Briscoe has passed away.  Thank you for
letting us know this.  Also, someone mentioned "Dean".  Was Dean someone connected with the show, because I can't remember a Dean.  So glad to be back.
Love to all
 :-* Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2008, 05:49:18 AM »
Don, as long as I have been in fandon hearing of ones passing never touched me like yours.  I cried like a baby for a couple days.  I thankfully am not as sensitive as you however I know what it is like to be sensitive~~the world is cruel indeed.  It can be an extreme curse at times.  I have often thought about you and imagined you young, healthy and smiling that undeniable smile that lit up the every picture or scene I witnessed you in.  Now seeing that image in my head....a smile passes across my face....wherever you are beauty is filling that space.

Love and Light!

PS.  Does anyone know how to get a copy of HELLEN SAMARAS 'Fangs For The Memories'
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/