Author Topic: #0123/0124: Robservations 08/14/01: Found but Abandoned  (Read 1275 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0123/0124: Robservations 08/14/01: Found but Abandoned
« on: August 14, 2001, 07:05:02 PM »
Episode #123 - The days have been long since I came to Collinwood, but this day is the longest one of my life. The searchers continue to look for me, but I am well-hidden. My eyes have been filled with fear, but now I see fear and terror on the face of the man who would kill me, for he has seen something that he never dreamed he would see--something that terrified him.

Matthew exits the secret room and stands looking up at Josette's portrait. What did I see?--what? he asks, his face twisted with confusion. He moves closer and touches the painting. You're nothin' but a picture someone painted, he says--nothin' else. He backs away, still staring up at it. You didn't move, did ya? he asks--you wouldn't want nothin' from me--yet I swear I saw ya--saw ya
--what does it mean?--what? The portrait begins to glow. Why are you doing this to me, why?--NO! And he dashes from the house as if pursued.

Maggie is cleaning tables in the restaurant when Joe comes in. He hasn't shaved in what appears to be days. Look what the crawlers dragged in, she teases. I guess I could use a shave, he agrees. You look like you could use more than that--you look terrible, she pronounces. Thank you--hope I can say the same to you someday, he says. Not if I can help it, she replies--I heard you were out searching for Vicki. Yeah, he says, sitting on a stool, looking exhausted--all night, all day--not a thing--I feel like I could pass out. Don't do it in here, she cautions--not a very good recommendation for the place--how about some rich, black coffee? Make it hot, too, will you? asks Joe with a rueful grin. Sure, she says, and pours him a cup. I can tell by your mood there's no word from Vicki, she says. Not a thing, says Joe, not a single thing--boy, combing the lower cliffs, the beach, the woods. I don't know what to think, she says, pouring herself a cup of coffee, where could she possibly be?--she'll turn up someplace. I hope so, says Joe. I don't know if this town is going to pot or really starting to swing with all the action going on around here, she remarks, smiling. If this is swinging, forget it, says Joe. Sure, she says, your idea of swinging is a netful of fish coming over the side. Is that what you think of me? he asks. Unless your values have changed, she says. Maybe they have, he says. That would be something, she says, but I'm sure Miss Carolyn Stoddard would have everything to do with that. You hit it exactly, he says, looking sad. You look like you're going to make a big statement, she says. I already made it, he says--to Carolyn. No wonder I didn't hear it, she says, and I'm glad I didn't. You would have liked it, he says. (Ah, he knows she likes him.) I would?--how so? asks Maggie. I'm afraid, says Joe, that Carolyn and I have crossed each other off our Christmas card lists. Maggie grins. Just for the season? she asks. Permanently, he says. Your social-climbing days are over? asks Maggie. He shakes his head--that's not why I was going out with her and you know it. I'm sorry, says Maggie gently.--hey, I won't be able to serve another dinner until I know what happened. It's pretty simple, he says, Carolyn just turned out to be something other than what I thought she was. That's a good reason, says Maggie, how did you finally come to that conclusion? She was in Burke Devlin's hotel room last night, says Joe. Hey, says Maggie, that's enough to blow the horn on anyone
--how did you know? I was there, too, he says. Talk about convention! laughs Maggie--how did that little combination fall together? (Did she think they were having a threesome?) Oh, says Joe, we were searching for Vicki, and Mrs. Stoddard thought Carolyn might know where she was--I suspected that Carolyn was with Devlin, so I went to the hotel, knocked at his door. You didn't have to say you were the house detective, did you? asks Maggie. I didn't even have to break the door down, he says--I guess they just wanted to make me look silly. Did they? she asks. In spades, he says. How? she asks. I took a swing at Devlin, confesses Joe. Oh, Joe! she says, but she's pleased to hear this. He drinks his coffee. That was silly, she says, did you at least connect? I connected, all right, he says--and he did, too. How many teeth did that cost? she asks. No problem in the dental department, he says, but a couple of lumps up here--and he gestures to his cheek. She laughs--who hit the floor first? she asks. Carolyn got in the middle and kind of broke it up, says Joe, although I must say I'd liked to have given her a chop or two. I told you the town was swinging, she says, and you didn't believe me. A woman enters the restaurant, wearing a nice suit and cloche hat. She sits at a table and removes her gloves, sighing. Joe asks Maggie who it is. I don't know, replies Maggie. She looks familiar, says Joe.

David, another bag in hand, approaches the Old House. He watches as Matthew goes in, and pushes aside a tree branch to continue on his way.

Matthew stands before Josette's portrait, gazing at it. Nothin', he tells himself, then enters the secret room. David enters the Old House and calls to Matthew, who hears him but doesn't acknowledge him. David walks up a few stairs and calls Matthew. He stands in the drawing room and looks around, continuing to call Matthew's name. He touches the shelf that hides the secret room. Inside, Matthew knocks over a candlestick. David hears and presses his ear to the shelf. He walks away, licking his lips, and calls Matthew again. He opens the front door and leaves. Matthew nods his head, pleased. David gazes through one of the broken windows, and witnesses Matthew exiting via the secret shelf. Now David knows! Matthew just stands there for a long moment, then pushes the shelf closed. He goes to look out the window, but David has pressed himself against the house, out of his view--we hope.

Coffee shop -
The blonde woman who entered the restaurant sits, twisting her wedding ring around her finger. Maggie offers her a menu. Yes, thank you, says the woman. Do you know her? Maggie quietly asks Joe. There's something about her, says Joe. Or does every woman look familiar? teases Maggie. (What does she think Joe is, a womanizer?) No, I've seen her somewhere, insists Joe. So tell me, says Maggie--I'm more interested in what happened when Carolyn broke up the fight. Joe rubs his face. Then I told them about Vicki being missing and Burke seemed to get pretty disturbed about it, explains Joe. I told you he had a heart someplace, she says. He was more upset than I expected him to be, says Joe--he went out with us and searched all night long--it was like when he knew Vicki was missing, he forgot Carolyn existed entirely--I thought that was pretty interesting. I don't, says Maggie--he just sounds like a guy who's interested in women in general. If that's the kind of guy she wants, then there isn't any kind of possibility of a future for us, says Joe--I'm through with her. (wise choice.) That's the worst news I've heard today, grins Maggie. Oh, I knew you'd be a comfort, he says ruefully. He reaches in his pocket for his wallet. Don't bother, she says, it came from the bottom of the pot. I knew it tasted better than usual, he says, grasping her hand a second--I'll see you. I hope so, she says--get some rest. He leaves. Maggie brings a cup of coffee over to the woman, who thanks her. I have a habit of assuming everyone wants a cup of coffee, says Maggie. Does everyone? asks the woman. No, says Maggie, that would make this a dull old job--you need a few variations to get through the day. The woman stands and goes to the counter. She requests a glass of water. Maggie pours one from a fancy pitcher and works on the menu board. Have you worked here long? asks the woman. About five years, says Maggie. Is Grace still here? asks the woman. No, I took her place, says Maggie--are you from around here? Originally, the woman says, settling on a stool. Do you want to order? asks Maggie. I haven't decided yet, says the woman. Take your time, says Maggie, the kitchen isn't going anywhere--are you back for a visit? Sort of, the woman says. Has the town changed any since you last saw it? asks Maggie. Not a bit, the woman replies. Maggie laughs. In fact, it's just the same way it was today as it was then (said with distaste). That's what I keep saying, Maggie says. And if I know this town, it never will, the woman says. You know this town, all right, says Maggie. Same feeling, the woman says--the salt smell of the ocean, the gulls making those sounds, the fog, the dampness, the fishing boats--the noises of the docks and the old building. Chamber of commerce, anyone? quips Maggie. Is that what I sound like? the woman asks. Right out of the brochure, says Maggie--except there was something in your voice that told me you weren't actually praising those things. Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way, says the woman--actually, all those things are very meaningful to me--they've been part of my life until...the last few years. Then you missed it, says Maggie. Yes, I missed too much of everything, the woman replies. You must have just gotten into town, says Maggie. Um-hm, I got into town about an hour ago, the woman says. On the Boston bus? asks Maggie. Why do you ask? the woman asks. You said you were originally from around here, points out Maggie, so I just assumed... I'm staying here at the hotel, says the woman, putting a cigarette into her mouth and lighting it. Maggie is silent. Tell me, says the woman, I suppose the Collins family is just the same as ever. Maggie chuckles. The town doesn't breathe unless they breathe, says Maggie. And Mrs. Stoddard, is she still there? the woman asks. Yes, says Maggie, I guess she always will be. And Roger Collins? asks the woman. If you've ever known Roger Collins, says Maggie--he's himself--only more so. How do you mean? asks the woman. Well to sum Roger Collins up, says Maggie, I'd say he's the man most likely to give the best imitation of Scrooge this Christmas. (holiday ref) Roger has a son, the woman says. David? asks Maggie--cute kid, very clever--blonde hair, very bright. Yes, I remember him when he was very young, she says wistfully, what's he like now? Butter would melt in his mouth, says Maggie, as well as steel. Sounds like a typical boy, the woman remarks. Nothing typical about him, says Maggie--I'm sure a nice dungeon would help. The woman looks upset and opens the menu. I still don't know what I want, she says. That's all right, says Maggie--so you're back for the holidays?
Sometimes I'm not sure why I'm here, the blonde says--or even if I should be. She leaves the counter and wanders back to a table, and sits down, looking lost.

David hides against the outside Old House wall until Matthew ceases looking out the window. David gulps. Matthew goes to the front door and listens. He opens it and looks out, spotting David a few feet away from the door. I was looking for you, says the boy, holding out the bag. What are you doin' here? asks Matthew, ushering him in. I came to bring you food, says David. Where did you go just now? Matthew asks him. I went out back, says David. You were snoopin', accuses Matthew. I wasn't, protests David, I couldn't find you in here so I went outside to look. Matthew takes the bag and sets it down. I don't know whether to believe ya, he says. I'm telling the truth, insists David. Maybe, he says. Where did you go? asks David, I was looking for you, and I even called your name, but I didn't find you. Never mind where I was, says Matthew. I was only here a few minutes ago, says David, and you weren't here--and now you're here--I can't figure out how. Matthew grabs David's arm and yells, "WELL STOP FIGURING, JUST FORGET IT--and keep your nose where it belongs!" He releases him. You hurt my arm, says David. I didn't mean it, says Matthew. (Like he didn't mean to kill Malloy.) I guess I'll get going now, says David. Wait a minute, says Matthew, where ya goin'? To the house, says David. What's the rush? asks Matthew. They might be looking for me, says David. When did you start to worry about that? asks Matthew. I don't want them to send somebody out here to look for me, says David. You got somethin' on your mind, says Matthew. Nothing special, says David. I know when you got somethin' turning around in your head, says Matthew, standing. Not much, I was just wondering when you'd be leaving, that's all, says David. I told ya, says Matthew, I'm goin' when I get ready to go. That's all I was figuring, says David. You never had much luck with the truth, did ya? asks Matthew. I mean it! insists David, I was just wondering where you might be going. I ain't tellin' that to anybody! says Matthew--you sound fishy to me and I don't like it--there's somethin' goin' around in there and I can't figure it out. I bring you food, don't I? asks David--I mean, I could go to jail for that, couldn't I? You could and you will if you double-cross me, warns Matthew. (But he told him he wouldn't go to jail!) I won't, I swear it! says David. I'm gettin' edgy in here! says Matthew, I can't stand being cooped up in this place--I hate this place, wish I could tear it apart with my bare hands! Is it all right for me to leave now? asks David. Yeah, yeah, you'd better leave, agrees Matthew. OK, says David, heading for the door. But Davy, says Matthew, I don't want ya to be mad at me. I'm not, says David, I know you're nervous and everything. Good lad, says Matthew, patting David's upper arms. So I'll see you later? asks David. Don't come back again today, says Matthew, you brought enough food. OK, so I'll see you tomorrow morning? asks David. Yeah, Davy, we'll have breakfast together--so long, says Matthew. So long, says David, and leaves. Matthew closes the door and goes to the window to look out. Then he opens the bag and takes out a roll, muttering to himself that he's got to get some water. He leaves the house. David wanders through the woods. He hears someone coming and hides.

Matthew walks between the columns. We get a long shot of him heading away from the house. He passes by David without spotting him. The boy then runs back to the house and enters. He opens the secret panel and stands,
staring, as his eyes behold what he finds there.

NOTES: David has found Vicki, although we didn't actually see her in this episode today. She's sitting in that chair, bound and gagged, and we'll probably see her at the beginning of the next episode. Will Matthew come back in time to find David there? Will he end up killing both of them? Matthew is definitely losing his mind, thanks to Josette's well-meant intervention, and it wouldn't surprise me if he went completely insane and murdered them both.

I already know the mysterious blonde who entered the restaurant is Laura Collins, David's mother and Roger's wife--and Burke's former girlfriend. What is she doing in town, and what new havoc will she wreak? Maggie sure is nosy, but I suspect if I had her job, I'd be asking people a million questions, too, since I tend to do it anyway. The blonde stranger asked about Liz, Roger and David. What is her connection? She seems sad, distant. She tells Maggie the story of the phoenix with almost religious fervor.

The field is now clear for Maggie to pursue Joe without obstacles, and I think they both know it. Their fun back and forth teasing reminds me of the relationship I had with my husband when we first started dating, and it's a joy to watch. Stay tuned for one of the most healthy relationships you will ever see on DS--for a while, anyway.

Episode #124 - It is dusk at Collinwood, and I am still held captive. I have lost hope, until someone whose curiosity is stronger than his sense of danger found me.

Miss Winters! babbles David, seeing Vicki trussed and gagged in a chair--what?--why are you here, I don't understand! Vicki makes noises behind the gag, and he pushes it off her mouth. I'd given up all hope! she says. I knew someone was behind this wall! exclaims David, I knew it! It's been terrible! she says. Are you all right? he asks. Yes, she says, but we have to hurry! What for? he asks. If Matthew finds you here, he'll kill both of us! says Vicki. David's eyes open wide with disbelief.

Matthew wouldn't kill us! insists David. He will, says Vicki. He wouldn't, I know he wouldn't, says David--he wouldn't try to hurt you! Please untie me, says Vicki. How did you get in here? he asks. I was looking for my wallet, she says, and he grabbed me. But that doesn't mean he wanted to hurt you! says David--he just doesn't want anyone to know where he's hiding. You've been helping him, says Vicki disapprovingly. I know, because he's my friend, says David. No he isn't, says Vicki. He is, he's my best friend, he's the only one that likes me! says David. He's dangerous, counters Vicki. No he isn't, he just acted that way because he doesn't know how to act any different, says David. He told me he was going to kill me! says Vicki. He probably just said that to make you be quiet, says David. That's not true, says Vicki--why are you standing there?--please untie me, before he comes back. But he'll be mad at me, protests David, reluctantly moving around behind her to untie her hands. No he won't, says Vicki, in fact, he's not even sure he can trust you anymore--he thinks you're becoming frightened. I'm not frightened! says David. He's afraid you'll tell somebody, says Vicki. He knows I won't, says David, trying to untie her--"The knots are so tight!" Please hurry! says Vicki desperately. I'm trying! says David. They hear what sounds like the front door slam. Is that Matthew? asks Vicki fearfully. I don't know, says David. He leaves the secret room and realizes that a shutter is banging in the wind. He reports this to Vicki. Thunder rolls. I think we're in for a storm, says David. Vicki begs him to hurry--he could come back any minute. He made it so tight! complains David, struggling with the knots. When we get back to the house, I'll call the sheriff, say Vicki. You're going to call the sheriff? asks David, upset. I have to, she says. No, he insists, if I get you out of here, you'll be safe, you won't have to tell on Matthew. He's committed a crime, says Vicki, he may commit more! But if you tell the sheriff about Matthew, says David, standing in front of her, he'll know all about how he was hiding, and that I was helping him, and that I brought him food--and I'll get in trouble! No you won't, says Vicki, because I'll tell him how you helped me.
But the sheriff told me what could happen to somebody if they helped Matthew, says David--I could be sent to jail! He starts to leave. David, where are you going? asks Vicki desperately. I don't know, I don't know what to do! blathers David. Please don't leave me! pleads Vicki--you have to help me!--you have to help me! Don't talk to me! cries David, stamping his foot--I don't want to go to jail! And he leaves the secret room and closes the shelf. Please don't leave me! Vicki begs--he'll kill me!--please untie me! David wanders all over the foyer for a few moments, totally freaked out, and leaves the house. Vicki dips her head down, defeated. (How incredible that she's been found, but not rescued!)

Inn Coffee Shop - Maggie replenishes the blonde woman's water glass and asks if everything is all right. Yes, the woman replies, fine. I mean you aren't eating anything, says Maggie. I don't seem to have the appetite I thought I had, the woman says. I hate to charge you for that, says Maggie, but I'm afraid I'll have to. She tallies up the check. That's all right, the woman says, I really don't know why I came in here anyway. Maybe you just wanted to see a familiar face or place, suggests Maggie. Perhaps that was it, the woman agrees--tell me, you mentioned something about Roger Collins and an accident. That was 10 years ago, says Maggie. I don't mean to make a gossip out of you, I just wondered about it, says the woman. You won't make a gossip out of me, says Maggie, sitting down at the table, just a conversationalist--it's common knowledge around here that an innocent man went to jail because of that accident--and now the man who went to jail is back here to prove that he's innocent. Who was the man? the woman asks. A local boy, replies Maggie--Burke Devlin. Oh, I see, the woman says, I knew him a long time ago. After he got out of prison, says Maggie, he made a lot of money. Did he? the woman asks. Whether he made it crooked or straight, I don't know, says Maggie, but he's got it, all right, he's loaded--he's staying here at the hotel. Is he? the blonde asks. Mmm-hmm, says Maggie, he's taken over what we laughingly call the presidential suite. Very interesting, the woman says. How well did you know him? asks Maggie. Well enough, answers the blonde. (Biblically?) Maggie laughs. That's the way we all know him, she says--well enough to steer clean--he's got a chip on his shoulder so big, it's a wonder he can walk straight. He wasn't always that way, says the blonde. Well, I guess it will be like old home week for you, says Maggie, seeing everyone again. Yes, the woman says, old home week. You came up on the bus from Boston, says Maggie--is that where you were? No, the woman replies, taking out another cigarette. New York? asks Maggie--I've never been there, but I hear it's exciting. No, says the woman, lighting up, not New York. Further away than that? asks Maggie. Almost as far away as I could get, the woman says--Arizona. Arizona! exclaims Maggie--that's great--I keep telling myself someday I'm going to leave this town--very soon--I'd love to see Arizona--what city? Phoenix, the woman says. Phoenix! says Maggie--I like that name. The woman smiles--it's named after a mythical bird, she says, her voice sounding far away--who, when it feels its life drawing to a close, would build a funeral pyre and light it by fanning its wings and then burn itself to death--but from those ashes, the phoenix would be reborn and live on another 500 years--ancient Egyptian legend. It would be great if we could do that, comments Maggie--but maybe that's not such a great idea--you could come out worse than before. Anything would be better than... the woman says. It's not a bad idea if life has been rough on you, agrees Maggie. The important thing is to get rid of the old way of life, the woman says, find a new beginning, a new direction. And you've come back to Collinsport to be reborn? asks Maggie. Perhaps, the woman says, either that or to die again. Well, says Maggie, it's a good place to do both--except the prospect of dying here doesn't appeal to me very much--you sound as though things were rough when you were here before. It wasn't very easy, the woman says. And despite that, you came back? asks Maggie. Yes, the woman says, well, there are things that have to be done. She puffs nervously on he cigarette. I admire you for that, says Maggie, good luck with it. Thank you, the woman says. So you've traveled some, says Maggie--where were you before Phoenix? A few other cities, says the woman, but I never stayed very long--just a few days or weeks. How long were you gone from here? asks Maggie. About 10 years, the woman tells her. And you spent most of that time in Phoenix? asks Maggie.
No, just the end, the woman says. (The end as in death?) Where did you spend most of your time? asks Maggie. Lightning flashes outside. It sounds as if it's coming from the northeast, the woman says. Maggie laughs. We get some of our best storms from that direction, she says--you were telling me where you spent... The woman interrupts--I'd love some more coffee. Maggie, a little perplexed at the woman's change in demeanor, stands, taking the water pitcher with her, and goes behind the counter for the coffee.

David, walking through the woods from the Old House to Collinwood, runs into Matthew. They stare at each other for a long moment.

Where you goin, Davy? asks Matthew. Home, says David. Where ya comin' from? asks Matthew. No where, replies David. You left ahead of me, says Matthew, how come you're walkin' from that way? I cut around, says David. Matthew grabs his wrist in a painful grip. Around where? he demands. I took the wrong path, says David. It isn't like you to take the wrong path, says Matthew. I wasn't watching where I was going, says David. Listen, Davy, says Matthew, kneeling, still holding his wrist--you know every inch of this property as well as I do, and every shortcut on it. Yes, says David, but as I was going through, I saw one of the sheriff's deputies searching for you. Did ya? asks Matthew. Yes, says David, and I hid for a while until he went away--because I didn't want him to be suspicious about my being here. That's good thinkin', praises Matthew--you took a shortcut and ya hid from a deputy. That's right, says David. I'll tell ya somethin', Davy, says Matthew, I don't believe ya took a shortcut and got lost and I don't believe ya hid from a deputy! I did! says David. You're lying to me, says Matthew. I'm not, says David, I swear it! You know something, doncha? Asks Matthew--ya know something special? He shakes David's wrist like a wishbone. I don't, insists David. You found out something, didn't ya? I have to get home, says David, they'll be looking for me. What did you find out? demands Matthew. You're my friend, says David--you know if I found something out, I'd tell you. I don't believe ya, says Matthew, There's somethin' about the look in your eyes that I don't believe--you'd better come back to the big house with me! No, protests David, I'd better get home! He tries to wrench himself from Matthew's grip, to no avail, as David struggles and tells him it's almost dinner time, they'll be looking for him You come with me, orders Matthew. They'll come to the Old House to search! says David. Don't you worry about that, says Matthew, nobody's gonna find me! Please, begs David, I want to go home.

Back in the secret room, Vicky tries to escape her bonds, which David apparently loosened just a bit.

You're going to stay with me, says Matthew, I ain't gonna take no chances on ya! I wouldn't tell on you, says David. Why are ya scared of me? asks Matthew. I'm not scared of you, David assures him, you're my friend. You think I'm gonna hurt ya, says Matthew. No you wouldn't hurt me, I know you wouldn't, says David. Then come on with me! commands Matthew, holding both of David's wrists in an iron-like clutch. Let go of me, pleads David, you're hurting my arms! I don't wanna hurt ya! yells Matthew, dragging him back through the woods--DON'T MAKE ME HURT YA! David wrenches free.
Davy, come back! calls Matthew, but David is running from him as fast as he can. Matthew lumbers back toward the Old House with equal speed.

The blonde woman drinks coffee in the Inn shop. Sam enters and greets Maggie. Looks like a storm coming up, he says. How do you feel? she asks. In the pink, he says tiredly. You look it, she says, pouring him coffee--you got home pretty late last night--or should I say this morning. That's very reassuring, he says, I didn't think I'd gotten home at all--would you thank whoever brought me home? you brought yourself home, says Maggie, pouring another cup. Shows you what marvelous control I've got over myself, he says sourly. You want something to eat? She asks, taking down a donut. And upset this marvelous alcoholic content?--no, says Sam, not on your life. You've got to eat something, she says, putting the donut in front of him. I've got a lot of dough tied up in that little binge last night, he says, I'd spoil it if I took anything to eat until late tonight--that would just be a waste of money. Maggie looks rueful. Did you paint today? She asks. Please, he says, rubbing his temples, it kind of grabs me up here. I just want to know if you painted today, she says. I started to, he says, but the brushes were stiff, so I just ended up cleaning them, softening them. Oh, Pop, she chides. I'll be able to get up early and get a good day in, he says. Sure, she says. I did some sketching today, though, he says, pulling some paper from his pocket--I did one I even liked. Really? she asks. He shows her a picture in a small notebook. I've see that! she says. What do you mean, I only just did it, he protests. You showed it to me last week, she says. Oh, he says, slipping it back in his pocket, just trying to make you feel a little better, that's all. You made me feel worse, she tells him. Sorry, darling, he says. When are you going to pull yourself together? she asks. I'm doing it, he says, an edge to his voice--I am! All that great talent going to waste, she says. It's not going to waste, Sam assures her, I'm getting ready for a whole body of work--40, 50 canvases, maybe! Is it just the booze that's keeping you from doing it? she asks. No, says Sam, it's just, well, there are so many things going on that I'm kind of involved in. Maybe it would be a good idea if we left this town, she suggests. I don't want to do that, he says, it's the character of this town I want to paint. Maybe you'd find another place more inspiring, she says, a completely different place. Like where? he asks. I don't know, maybe even a different climate, smiles Maggie--like Phoenix, Arizona. Really, scoffs Sam, what do you know about Phoenix? Not too much, she replies, except I was just talking to someone who came back from there--that woman over there. Sam looks at the woman she indicates. She used to live around here, says Maggie, and then she travelled around a bit, and settled in Phoenix, I guess. Sam tries to get a look at the woman's face, but her back is to him. Who is that? Sam asks Maggie. I don't know her name, she answers. Something about her, says Sam--familiar. Maybe you know her, suggests Maggie--she's a local. Maybe, agrees Sam--she reminds me of someone--the hair is different--no, it couldn't be. Who do you mean? asks Maggie. No one, he says. She seems to know everyone, says Maggie--she's been asking questions. Who's she been asking about? queries Sam. The Collins family, mostly, says Maggie. Which of them has she been asking about? he asks. She seems to know all of them, says Maggie--she knows about Roger and the accident. What did she say about that? inquires Sam, disturbed. Nothing, says Maggie, she didn't seem to want to talk about it, but she knows Burke Devlin. You don't know her name? asks Sam. No, says Maggie--why don't you go over and talk to her? What else do you know about her? asks Sam. Just that she's come back after about five or six years, says Maggie--for the holidays, I guess. Where is she staying? Asks Sam. Here at the hotel, says Maggie. Let me know if you find out her name, Sam says--it's very important. He rises and starts to tie his trench coat belt. Where are you going? asks Maggie.
I've got something on my mind, mutters Sam, and exits.

Vicki is working hard to free her hands, moving around in the chair, her hair hanging in strings around her face. Matthew enters the secret room and immediately notices the gag is down. How did you get that off? he demands, furious. It came off, says Vicki. It was too tight to come off, insists Matthew. I worked it off, she says. Someone was here! he says. No one, says Vicki. Who was it? asks Matthew--it was that boy, wasn't it, it was Davy, wasn't it? His hands have curled into menacing fists. No, no! cries Vicki, it wasn't! He knows somethin' doesn't he? asks Matthew, his voice rough with fear. No! screams Vicki. I dunno, I can't take anymore chances, says Matthew--I've gotta do something--have to!--have to do it now! And he holds out his hands toward Vicki, whether in supplication or threat is hard to tell.
Collinwood - David yells upstairs for Roger, but when he gets no answer, he runs into the drawing room. "Father! Father!" he calls desperately.

NOTES: Matthew is scared and desperate. He probably figures he'd better kill Vicki now and flee. Will David be able to find an adult to help him soon enough to prevent it?

It astounds me that David actually left Vicki tied up there, but when I think about it, he is so confused, he needs time to think about it all and sort it out. He stubbornly refuses to accept the fact that Matthew is mentally sick, that he killed Malloy and would kill both him and Vicki without pausing for a breath. Now, however, he finally seems to accept the fact that Matthew is dangerous and means to harm anyone in the way of his freedom. The question is, will David find anyone who can help him?

What suspense! To have David find Vicki, but refuse to free her, is an amazing twist. He's always been fearful of being in trouble, and even more so of going to jail, so his actions, while reprehensible, are expected from a scared nine year old kid.

I was terrified for David when Matthew didn't believe him. The child trusts him despite the pain Matthew has occasionally inflicted on him, and that's scary as hell. When even Burke turned him away, David really believed Matthew was his only friend. Brrrrr.

The mysterious blonde in the coffee shop really got Sam in a dither. I think he knows who she is, but isn't ready to face it yet. I feel sorry for Maggie, who just wants her father off the bottle and painting, utilizing his God-given talent. She loves him no matter what, as he does her, but he's a weak man with a messed-up conscience, and who knows when that will come to an and--when he confesses, finally, to the lies he told. Perhaps this new stranger will hasten that day.

Love, Robin