Author Topic: OT<Babadook  (Read 639 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
OT<Babadook
« on: February 13, 2016, 04:06:31 AM »
A friend on FB was saying he just saw, "The Witch". Never heard of it (IMDb says due on Feb 16th).

Went to IMDB, they list, "The Babadook" as something a viewer might want to see.

I could swear I saw this on Netflix (though I haven't watched Netflix in more than 2 months), plus, the description of the movie does not at all seem familiar.

Has anyone seen, "The Babadook"? I can get it for under $4.00 (plus, Amazon's outrageous $3.99 shipping).

Is it worth $8?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT<Babadook
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 04:28:56 AM »
I saw the trailer for The Witch this week. It looked promising. Witchcraft in early America. I'll probably see it.

I would avoid The Boy at all costs. It's about a girl who is hired to be the caretaker of an elderly couple's son. The son turns out to be a porcelain doll. It was the dumbest movie I've seen in years. Do not waste your time or money on it.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 05:39:13 AM »
Yo! Unk! Stay away from all my sleep meds!  [snow_laugh]

(I didn't ask about "The Boy", but about the movie, "The Babadook".)

Love ya baby!

Patti, who would still appreciate anyone's input about "The Babadook".
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 03:25:20 AM »
Movie: Babadook

Anybody?

Anyone?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 04:28:56 PM »
I checked out The Babadook on my librarian's recommendation.  It's a critically acclaimed Australian film; the 'horror' is primarily psychological.  A widowed mother is at her wits' end trying to cope with her hyperactive, mischievous, demanding young son.  Her trials increase when the son somehow gets his hands on a mysterious pop-up book about a spooky creature (the Babadook) that he then becomes convinced is out to get him and his mom. He begins acting up in even more threatening ways, allegedly in his efforts to protect them from the monster.  Mom's behavior starts changing too: could she be possessed by the Babadook?

I couldn't finish the movie - not because it was too scary but because the little boy's constant screaming and whining got on my nerves.  Also, there wasn't enough of a supernatural presence to hold my attention.  Mothers of young children might find the plot more compelling than I did.  The Babadook is a kind of metaphor for the depression and doubt that can overtake a parent.  I wouldn't spend $8.00 on the movie, but rather wait to see if it comes on TV or if your local library has a copy.

Hope this helps you out, Patti!

ProfStokes

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 12:09:59 AM »
I watched "The Babadook" because it was on a list for the top ten horror films on Netflix. I thought it was set in England, but it could've been Austrailia as ProfStokes said. It was definitely more psychological than anything else, which I enjoyed because good psychological horror is difficult to do and often is a let down. I thought the ending was a bit strange because of the overall story, but that's yet another reason why I like foreign horror films--they rarely end things as American films might. I wouldn't necessarily watch it again since I've already seen it, but it definitely is worth a watch.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran