Author Topic: Dean Wilson, long time DS fan, dies at 40  (Read 2610 times)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: Dean Wilson, long time DS fan, dies at 40
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2004, 04:06:35 AM »
so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend . He sounds like a wonderful person
and life is unfair sometimes. hopefully he is in heaven meeting all the late
DS stars and having a great time.

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2004, 06:08:26 AM »
I first met Dean in the spring of 1995. 

Well, for a guy who can't remember what he had for breakfast this morning, I was close on the year Dean and I first met. It was actually 1994 (Thank god for scrapbooks) as evident from the top left photo below that  I took of our banquet table that year.  That was indeed his first Festival as I previously reported.

Sometime after the 1994 Festival, and before the NY Event the next year, Dean moved back home to Crawfordsville, IN. We still kept in constant phone contact, as we had become very good friends. He approached me with the idea of starting a Midwestern D.S. Fan club, and shortly thereafter he formed the Dark Shadows Society of Illinana(Illinois & Indiana)) Fan Club. The First Official Newletter was dated May/June of 1995. We started with just a few of us who resided in Illinois and Indiana, but soon grew to incorporate several members from other states. Dean hosted two Halloween parties at his home in Crawfordsville,(1995 & 1997) and Rich Blanco and I drove down for both of them. The photos below are from the 1997 party.

This gives me another opportunity to share a funny story about Dean that I relayed to MsCriseyde earlier this evening. Members, Chuck and Sharon, (pictured below) seen in the photos below, drove from Ohio to join us at the 1997 party. Dean, knowing Chuck was a computer Wiz, asked him if he could take a look at his printer, stating it had not worked since the day he purchased it nearly a year ago. It took Chuck about 30 seconds to fix it. He opened the lid of the printer, took out the ink cartridges and removed the manufacturers tape that covers where the ink would come out of the cartridge, and reset them in the printer. We all started laughing and giving Dean a hard time. :)

As you can see from the photos, we did indeed have a Dark Shadows Halloween style party. We did a skit based on the old T.V. game show "To Tell The Truth". Rich, Chuck, and Dean were the 3 Barnabas', Sharon played panelist Julia Hoffman and Dean doubled as the other panelist, Prof. Stokes. I played Nicholas Blair, the host of the show. Julia and Prof. Stokes would ask the 3 Barnies questions in an attempt to discover which one was indeed the real Barnabas Collins. We had a hoot of a time recording it. ;D ;D

I think it is difficult for those of us who knew him well to believe he is gone so suddenly, and celebrating his life here, in our thoughts and memories, is a part of the healing process we have to go through. Personally, I'm completely stunned by the events surrounding his death, so please forgive my rambling on. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Nancy

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2004, 08:02:50 AM »
Three years ago this weekend, Jonathan Frid did a charity performance in Crawfordsville, Indiana raising several thousand dollars for local charity groups Dean Wilson was involved with. This was the second show Dean sponsored, the first being in 1999.  On Halloween morning, we celebrated the successful show at breakfast and below you see Jonathan and Dean.

Nancy

Offline MaineGirl

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2004, 11:22:51 PM »
Nancy, thank you for posting this sad news and letting us know about Dean. I only met him a handful of times, and he was always nice and soft spoken. I know he was a friend of yours and that you will miss him.

Best Regards,

Maine Girl

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 03:44:09 PM »
I am so very sorry to hear this sad news.  I didn't know Dean personally but remember him well because of the Jonathon Frid shows.  I attended the first show in 1999 and what a great memory it will always be.  I remember how surreal it was to discover that this show was actually going to take place just 30 miles from my home in Indianapolis. This was my first DS event of any kind and everything seemed so well planned and organized.  Dean really did a great job with those events and I know I'm not alone when I say how much I appreciated his efforts.  Forty is just too young to leave.  I know his family is probably devastated to have lost him at such a young age and my heart goes out to them and his many good friends.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2004, 07:41:17 AM »
:'(
       Bob, Nancy et al
           Its been great reading your reminesces on Dean. I remember meeting Dean at several shows and bought some items from him as recent as the 2003 show including an original "pink card series" gum card wrapper. I remember asking Bobubas where he was this year in Tarrytown. Dean's passing at the young years of 40 reminds us that at no age can we ever take our health for granted, and even so, things can happen. I remember how Dean helped me snag an extra Nancy Barrett autograph for one of my friends, because, fans understand each other that way. If there's a hall of fame for Dark Shadows fans, I know Dean is a full fledged member.  I bet he's having a brandy with Louis Edmonds somewhere tonight.

RIP Dean

Michael

Your Cousin from Virginia
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul