Author Topic: Elizabeth Collins Stoddard: the DVD (in my dreams)  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Collins Stoddard: the DVD (in my dreams)
« on: October 25, 2004, 03:21:36 PM »
I awoke this a.m. from a dream in which I was attending a DS Festival and doing a bunch of Grayson related interviews... I happened to be in the vendors room and spotted a DVD that was fan-produced.  It was a compilation of classic scenes from Liz's various storylines, heavily concentrating on 1966-67.  What a marvelous idea! I thought in the dream, and the thought stayed with me when I woke up.

When I went to bed I was thinking about the scene (from 1966, I think) when Liz tells Vicki a ghost story, and how much I would enjoy watching that again, given the season.  I don't think I own that tape, sadly.  It was on an MPI compilation tape that was called Ghosts and Vampires, which I never purchased.  I will have to look up in my episode guide and see if I can order the Collectors Choice tape with that scene.

Wouldn't it be great if they did a series of "greatest moments of..." DVDs at some point?  When MPI started putting the series out on VHS in 1989, they did a couple of short compilation tapes, including one called the Best of Barnabas, but the footage selected for the tape did not really live up to the title (in my not-so-humble opinion).

This is the kind of project I could see DS to DA and Heather collaborating upon with great results.

G.

ClaudeNorth

Re: Elizabeth Collins Stoddard: the DVD (in my dreams)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 08:17:58 PM »
I would love to see compilation DVDs for various DS characters.  In a perfect world, MPI would release a "Best of Julia" disc, featuring a montage of every scene in which she gives someone a sedative.

The idea of a compilation focusing on the pre-Barnabas Liz is also quite exciting.  I'd also like to see one focusing on the Liz-Jason scenes, which are particularly well-written and well-acted.

And, Gothele dear, I love the image of you giving a series of Grayson related interviews!  I envision you in your suite at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel, lounging on the sofa amidst a swirl of activity, much like Anita Ekberg in LA DOLCE VITA.  "I like lots of things but there are three things I like most:  Grayson, Grayson, and Grayson."

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 08:38:19 PM »
Quote from: ClaudeNorth
Gothele dear, I love the image of you giving a series of Grayson related interviews!  I envision you in your suite at the Renaissance Hollywood Hotel, lounging on the sofa amidst a swirl of activity, much like Anita Ekberg in LA DOLCE VITA.  "I like lots of things but there are three things I like most:  Grayson, Grayson, and Grayson."

Now there's something i'd pay to see. . .
Julia99

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 08:41:47 PM »
Forget Anita (Divine though She is), I'd model myself after Judith Merle/Jody Moore in The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

"Gothele, do you ALWAYS work in bed?"

"Only by daylight, DAAAHHHLLLINGGG!"

Reaching for cigarette holder,

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 12:50:49 AM »
i agree with gothick:i found both "the best of dark shadows" and "the best of barnabas" videos at the flea market and they were both pretty weak.when a clip of a scene is watched out of context they don't have much impact.

and i'd kill for a best of liz volume.her episode one performance alone holds several "bests".
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 08:46:18 AM »
This is the kind of project I could see DS to DA and Heather collaborating upon with great results.

{doing a double take} What in the...  LOL.  :o  Steve, I'm touched {sniffle} (hey - there's a J/B/Pepe/Judith story with your name on it, dear. No, I didn't necessarily mean a foursome... ;) Typing it up as fast as I can.)  Anyway - That is a divine idea - I'd love a series of best-of moments focusing on the various characters/actors.

Funny about your dream - well, this has nothing to with it per say but...has that stopped me before? Back when I was watching the series for the first time, I remember a vivid dream I had. Weird thing was, the dream was in full color (well, actually all my dreams are usually in color) - centering on a problem in Julia's lab...but I hadn't seen the color eps. or any Julia episodes before I had the dream - freaky (well, at the time it was - lol)!

My mom and I also think it would be neat to have an intertactive video-type game surrounding DS...heck, if my major was leaning a bit more in that direction, I'd be fooling around with that idea as well. Chortle...

Anyway - Not that I'm predjudiced {wink} but of course I'd be most interested in a Grayson best-of series...actually that would veer off the Dark Shadows world a tad... I'd definitely save some moolah for THAT. Yeah baby!   ;D

Salivating and laughing like Reinfield {ya know, ala dracula. Hey...tis the season},

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 06:43:42 PM »
Gothick, our minds think alike.
I had read somewhere that while the elegant Joan Bennett was still alive and appeared at a DS Convention, a fan had compiled a "Best Scenes of Elizabeth/Judith/Naomi/Flora" videotape for her.
When her characters were front and center in the storyline, Joan seemed at her best. My favorite was when, as Naomi Collins in 1795, she gave Reverend Trask a slap only rivaled by Julia's right hook to Cassandra's cheek during the Dream Curse story.
Yet I yearn to see a "Best of Grayson Hall on DS" compilation, not to mention a "Best of Don Briscoe" - and if consultants were called in on the project, I'd nominate you, Heather, and Julia99 to help handpick the classic moments for Joan, Don, and Grayson: my 3 favorites from the series.  

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 08:15:25 PM »
Thanks, Sandor, for those very kind sentiments!

I am going through 1897 now, more or less with the board montages, and have to say that I'm in love with Magda all over again!  She added such a wonderful spicy outspokenness to the stories.

Your name reminds me of how every time I watch these shows, it seems as if Sandor's appearances were all too few and far between.  I wonder whether the makeup irritated Thayer David's skin, or whether he was busy during this time with other projects.  He had a heavy slog in the second half of 1897 once Count Petofi appeared on the scene...

G.