Author Topic: <OT Carnival of Souls  (Read 890 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
<OT Carnival of Souls
« on: January 11, 2016, 04:43:37 AM »
Hmmm....I thought I had posted about this about a month ago....

Anyway, while searching EVERYWHERE for an affordable DS collection (we CAN'T go there about how it was in my Amazon cart, with a GC towards it, and how I had to go to the bank myself - couldn't send my daughter, even though she banks at same place ....GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRR.) When I got back, someone had bought it out of my cart. Yeah, I can't go here.

Again with the anyway, I don't remember where I heard of this film first. It sounded somewhat interesting, but when 'someone' had mentioned it's hard to get ahold of; I was on the go.

I got it, and finally watched it last night.

From what I just read on IMDb, through late-night horror films, it's become somewhat of a 'Cult Classic'.

There were a couple of things about the movie that 'got me'.

The first Twilight Zone that actually scared me, is, I believe titled, "The Hitchhiker".

This had SOOOO many of the same nuances. The film was 1962, and I can't remember if TZ, or CoS came first.

Also, on a lesser note, there was a male character who reminded me of early Willie Loomis; sort of rough around the edges.

(I felt like the lead actress perhaps was gay, I just read the same 'assumption' on IMDb.) No biggie NOW, but 55 years ago!!

If you get a chance, it's worth a watch....but, again, repeating IMDb, alot of you may have already seen this.

(Odd...at the end of the film, there's a few 'minor' listings/etc, that, the main actress went missing from Hollywood....she's not dead, but, I guess Hollywood was dead for her...)

Patti...who FINALLY got her copy of "The Gift" and is watching it now.
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: <OT Carnival of Souls
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 04:15:11 PM »
I saw notices on the Net a year or two ago that the CARNIVAL OF SOULS actress was on the convention circuit doing autographs & appearances.

I saw it when I was at college... in the Early Bronze Age, darling... and while I enjoyed it, haven't felt the urge to revisit.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 06:19:23 PM »
I remember seeing Candace Hilligoss at Chiller Theatre some years ago. I didn't approach her for an autograph but she was still an attractive woman. She only made one other film, the bizarre Curse of the Living Corpse, which featured Roy Scheider, long before Jaws.
At one point, Candace was married to Nicolas Coster, who appeared on many soaps back in the day, including Secret Storm, Another World, Santa Barbara, One Life to Live and Somerset, where his character was unhappily married to Marie Wallace.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 06:37:02 AM »
Interesting little tidbit;

As the ending credits are rolling, it says it was filmed in Lawrence, KS.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 03:08:49 AM »
Carnival of souls was shot in three weeks for 30,000 two weeks in Kansas and one week at Saltair an abandoned amusement park in Salt Lake. There is an original version 78 min and a directors cut 83. If you can find the criterion collection version it has one on each disc plus all you could want to know in extras.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 03:20:00 AM »
Lawrence was also the setting for the post nuclear telefilm The Day After. And it's the hometown of the Winchester brothers on Supernatural.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 10:47:20 PM »
And it's the hometown of the Winchester brothers on Supernatural.

Hence me mentioning
Interesting little tidbit;

As the ending credits are rolling, it says it was filmed in Lawrence, KS.

Patti
What a Woman!