Author Topic: Penny Dreadful  (Read 4546 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Penny Dreadful
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2016, 11:30:57 PM »
Ask Ausiello:
(Scroll down to question #12.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2016, 11:36:23 PM »
i haven't seen the season yet but the complaint i've been seeing ( in addition to general disappointment that it's over) is that that they were introducing new characters and subplots throughout the season that ended up being pointless given that it was ending.

there's a general impression that things were being set up for a fourth season and then the plug was abruptly pulled by someone and they had to wrap things up hastily.

Apparently those people aren't the only ones wondering (even though, like Gothick, I do think most of what's been said re: why it ended seems to make some sense). Scroll down to the bottom of the page here.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2016, 02:40:08 AM »
A major plot strand in Season 1 was dropped abruptly and apparently never resumed.  It was kind of reminiscent of all the stuff about Gerard's pirate ship, the Java Queen, and her matey zombie crew--a major plot point in Summer 1970 that was practically nonexistent once they started with 1840.

Of the regulars, I don't think they ever bothered to integrate Dorian Gray at all into the plotline.  Too bad because Reeve Carney is really very good and was a screen presence who grew on me (initially, I just couldn't accept him as Oscar Wilde's Dorian, but this version of the character had his own groove going on).

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2016, 09:29:45 PM »
which plot was that?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.