Author Topic: Voice Over at Beginning of DS eps  (Read 848 times)

Offline DarkShadowyFigure

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Voice Over at Beginning of DS eps
« on: September 29, 2004, 02:28:36 AM »
Hi all, been awhile since I last posted. I was wondering if anyone knew how the person who did the voice over at the beginning of each was chosen?  Was there ever a time the person who did the voice over didn't appear in that day's ep?

Glad to be back, hope everyone is doing great!   :)

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
Re: Voice Over at Beginning of DS eps
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 03:46:02 AM »
Hi DarkShadowyFigure,

Alexandra Moltke began each episode with.......My name is Victoria Winters............ for a little over a year beginning with the first episode. I believe it was KLS who stated in one of her books that when the focus was shifting from the Victoria character to Barnabas, Dan Curtis realized he could use one of the actors from that day's episode to do the voiceover instead of paying Alexandra to do the voiceover when she wasn't even in that day's episode.

I could be wrong but I believe this is correct.  After the change I don't believe a voiceover was ever done by someone who didn't appear in that day's episode.

Glad you're back!!!

Murph

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 08:27:49 PM »
Don McKeown, who played Larry Chase in Parallel Time 1970, provided the voiceover in several episodes where he didn't make an appareance at all.

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 09:09:38 PM »
   One thing to ponder is that once Dan went to having an actor who was in that episode do the voice over, that it may be a small spoiler in a way. Before they released the episode guide, I used to count the actors who would be in the show, knowing it was usually 4-5. (Its a rare episode with 6 until 1897 when budgets apparently got bigger, but still very rare to have more than 6 speaking parts except on pivotal episodes.) Sometimes, from the voice over I could tell someone who would show up later, sometimes the appearence might otherwise be a surprise.
   By the way, the current episode guide has a few errors on the voice overs. I think Grayson was the second person other than Alexandra to do one. I marked it in my copy a while back. Nancy B and KLS did some early voice overs as well. While it could be noted Jonathan did very few opening voice overs, again notice they were not often done by the person in the first scene, such as Jonathan usually was.

Michael

Your Cousin from Virginia
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 02:00:06 AM »
in one of the k.l.s books she states that dan curtis made the switch from always using alexandra for the voiceover(even if she wasn't in the episode)to using an actor from that episode was in part out of frugality(not having to pay alex if she wasn't in the ep.).but that says a strange thing about how contracted actors were paid on the show.were they paid on a per-episode basis?i thought most contracted actors were paid a "salary" which was always consistent.maybe dan c. ran a different type of operation.
nancy barrett spoke the first non-alex voiceover.i remember it distinctly.alexandra did the most:387.johnathan only did 12!there is kind of a funny hodge-podge of actors who only did 1 including sheriff paterson himself vince o'brian.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.