Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1002  (Read 1132 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1002
« on: October 23, 2015, 11:50:22 PM »
Robservations #1002

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1002

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 01:41:37 AM »
The PT corridor outside the Room is configured differently than in RT.  In RT, a corridor headed straight at the room, with Megan's vamp room before it on the left before you reach the room straight ahead.  There's a wall there now.  And PT Napoleon, and flowers of course.

[candle_in_skull] [skull_winks]

Yaeger is jealous of Buffie's having flirted with Cyrus, aka himself.  Maybe he delights in the utter unfairness of such a thing.  I think of this as classic abuser behavior, what happens next, a pretty harsh realistic thing for TV then, so much so that my mind tries to tell me:  This is DS, so something milder must really have happened.  But no.  The first hit was only the beginning.  While we were off gazing at Jello pudding or something, Yaeger really did beat Buffie up thoroughly, to the point where her clothes are all torn, and he seems to be taking a break from all his exertion, with coat off.  Maybe sleeves rolled up to do the job "properly", I can't remember.  He's a big guy, so for him to be worn out by it means a LOT just happened.

Then... comes the "affection"... throwing Buffie into confusion about the irreconcilable contradiction, the floor falls out from under her logically, leaving only Daddy to sort it all out for her, aka Yaeger, aka the abuser himself.  Gregory Trask tried to do this, but using God as his weapon and brainwashing tool, instead of his fists.

[candle_in_skull_2]

PT Quentin and RT David and Amy discover the Room.  I wonder if Violet Welles did this one.  I'm confused about her input from here on.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 04:17:53 PM »
Written by Joe Caldwell, directed by Lela Swift (per DS Wiki)

Very insightful observations, MT. Even now, reading my notes on this scene is pretty jolting. Yaeger's verbal abuse is just as bad as the beating. This was pretty strong stuff for TV back then, but I suppose they got away with it because being _merely_ a daytime soap, DS might have been below the censors' radar. Also, then as now, censors were more concerned with nudity than violence.

Above the door of Yaeger's new room is a stained-glass panel in a flower pattern that will figure prominently in the next storyline. Yaeger's suit would have made even a 1970s pimp blush.

Poor Amy gets a break when Quentin tells her that Daniel will be home soon. Another loss from Briscoe's departure--the nice interactions between him and Denise Nickerson. Amy is about to leave the drawing room to find Daniel when she spots the crumpled note in Yaeger's handwriting. She gives it to Quentin, who puzzles over the one note in two different hands. The handwriting--it is different... similar but different, he murmurs.

When Maggie was at Collinwood, Quentin was always off to the cannery or somewhere and had no time for his new bride. But now that she's left, he seems to spend a lot of time hanging around the house.

Amy shows Quentin another of Will's discarded sheets of paper that she retrieved to draw on the back of. Has she just invented recycling or is she simply precocious in displaying that parsimonious streak that runs through the Collins clan? It seems to have something to do with a room in the East Wing, she thinks, maybe Alexis's room, but Will describes it as "empty."

Back at the lab (again), Yaeger is about to take the antidote when Sabrina comes down. (A cupboard has materialized on one side of the free-standing column, and the rabbit cages seem to have disappeared.) Rather than hide this time, he calmly settles himself in Cyrus's chair. What are you doing here? Sabrina asks him severely. Who let you in? He replies blandly, Hasn’t Cyrus ever told you of his good friend John Yaeger? Yaeger! Sabrina exclaims with deep and instant disapproval. I might have known. I got in with a key the good doctor gave me, Yaeger explains,  adding, I’m merely a friend, Sabrina. Miss Stuart, thank you, Sabrina corrects him in freezing tones. Yaeger merely chortles with glee as he gets up and walks over to her. As he walks around her, looking her up and down, he wonders, Are you always this cold and aloof? I seem to sense some kind of emotional release that is trying to get out of you--am I correct? Sabrina stolidly answers that Cyrus won't be back again tonight. I was told to wait, Yaeger says, so wait I will--especially now that you’re here. I hope we can get better acquainted. She tries again to get him to leave, but he insists on waiting for Cyrus. Even guarding Cyrus's mysterious but precious experiment isn't enough to make Sabrina stay with such a creature. As she stalks out, he tries to get her to stay: I'd like to discuss that emotional release I mentioned. She pauses, perhaps hoping a crushing remark will come to mind, but none does, so she just glares at him and goes upstairs. He laughs as she leaves, but the moment he’s sure she's gone he finally retrieves the antidote and drinks it. The transformation from Yaeger to Cyrus seems just as painful as the reverse.

Quentin decides to check out Will's theory about the East Wing. As he approaches Alexis's room he hears the children talking. But when he opens the door, the room is dark and empty--except for our David and Amy. David is telling Amy, My father and Dr. Hoffman saw Barnabas get caught here. Maybe something will happen if we wait. Amy, however, doesn't want to get stuck and would rather be in bed. Quentin watches in amazement and tries to get in, but finds his way blocked by an invisible but impenetrable barrier. [A stagehand in a blue shirt catches the door that Quentin threw open.] Can’t you hear me? Quentin calls out to them in vain. What is it? We heard you calling us. Is something wrong? Daniel and Amy answer--from _behind_ him. He turns around in amazement to see them standing there--but they’re in the room that is now behind him as well.…

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 07:58:43 PM »
It's getting busy at Collinwood. And Quentin is knee deep in it. Maggie is still gone. Worse, Bruno is still there. Cyrus is behaving oddly. John Yaeger is a menace. The ghost of Damien Edwards wants something. Angelique wants more. Plus, there's the slowly developing mystery regarding Barnabas Collins and the new book that Will Loomis is writing. And he is about to have his experience with the parallel time room. No wonder he's stressed.
After being anxious to leave Collinwood, Amy seems even more eager to come back. Does she spook easily? Or is she more sensitive to things than the adults? She does seem to have a difficult relationship with Daniel but it seems that almost everyone does.
Is this the last time we see Amy Jennings?
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 09:49:24 PM »
We will see Amy Collins (as she is known in PT) a few more times, Uncle Roger, at least according to DS Wiki.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 09:52:27 PM »
True but I don't think we ever see RT Amy Jennings again.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 12:06:04 AM »
I wonder if they explained RT Amy's departure.  Maybe she left with Chris and Sabrina.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 12:57:54 AM »
Quentin mentions their departure briefly in the early days of the 1970 Daphne/Gerard haunting. He just says
something vague about the three of them going off "like that".
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 01:27:52 AM »
Thanks UR.  I hope they managed.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 04:30:26 PM »
MT, there's a link someplace to an article Sam Hall wrote for TV Guide detailing the fates of various characters after the show. I found this--hope it works for you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 03:50:45 AM »
Thanks for finding that for me, DL.  I got "Cannot find server".  It's probably what is read aloud by Roger Davis with stills, on the very last DS VHS tape, which I do have.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 04:30:02 AM »
It's basically the same material. Nice to have some closure, though it doesn't cover everything. For example, there is no mention of Victoria Winters.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 06:00:12 AM »
I think Jeb provided closure on Vicki, it kust wasn't what we wanted.  Besides, Vicki was no longer in the 20th century, and that list of events was 1971 onward.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 10:21:20 PM »
The drawing room seems less flower full. Quentin can't seem to decide how he is related to the cousins as he calls him Uncle Roger out with Daniel.  Cyrus's room looks a lot like Q's room with a stained glass window above a new entrance door.  Yaegers suit is very colorful. It seems to fit him well unlike some of the other men's baggy costumes. Q sees two sets of children on each side of time at the end. That was a surprise. With the fact that they use this room all the time, you would think, there would be more sightings and switching time.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 12:11:20 AM »
Perhaps Quentin's slip up regarding Uncle Roger is the counterpart of Cousin Uncle Jeremiah. [easter_shocked] [easter_shocked]
Fade Away and Radiate