Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1001  (Read 1090 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1001
« on: October 22, 2015, 04:58:40 PM »
Robservations #1001

FAREWELL, DON BRISCOE!

Don Briscoe makes his final appearance on DS in this ep...

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1001

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 09:26:42 AM »
While the camera cuts to a few seconds of Trask pacing outside, Ang changes clothes with Alexis, and stuffs her into the coffin.  Nice acting by Lara, showing Ang's reactions to seeing Trask and Collinwood again.  And seeing life again.  Final Don Briscoe appearance?

One of the harshest DS moments ever-- Q and Cyrus burning Alexis alive.  We hope she's not conscious.  Later... how does Angelique know Maggie, that she's Q's new wife?  Must be because her ghost was in the house. 

Cy transforms in Collinwood.  Yaeger has a hairy hand, like a werewolf?

[candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull] [candle_in_skull_2]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 08:27:22 PM »
Farewell indeed, Don Briscoe! And farewell to John Yaeger's false nose, thank goodness!

Alexis is dead, and Angelique took from her mind what she needed to know in order to reintegrate into Collinwood. Here are my notes on that scene: As Alexis watches, stunned, Angelique gets out of her coffin. (And no, we don’t see her do it either.) This can’t be happening! It isn’t possible! Alexis gasps. But it is happening, dear sister, Angelique replies calmly, thanks to you. But you’re dead! Alexis protests. Angelique laughs (just as normal-time Angelique would) as she replies, There were so many things that didn’t interest you, but I always knew that life is much more than it seems to be. I was able to master secrets that you never even dreamed existed. But the dead cannot live again! Alexis protests. Yes, they can, Angelique replies, with the help of the living. Sparing the writers, she adds, I won’t reveal how my body was preserved, but I always knew my spirit would never die, that someday someone would open the casket and then all I would need was the touch of a human hand. The warmth of your touch brought the life back to my body. Alexis now notices that she feels cold. Angelique assures her, You will become colder and colder until all the warmth leaves your body and you die. I need your warmth to save myself. Alexis tries to break the spell, but Angelique orders her, Look into my eyes. I don’t want to die! Alexis cries out. Your time has come and you must accept it, Angelique replies pitilessly. You have only a few moments left to live. In that time, you're going to tell me all I need to know before we change places. You will take my place in the coffin, and I will take yours at Collinwood. Alexis screams in vain as she feels the warmth draining from her body--the last thing she ever feels.

Trask calls out to "Miss Alexis," although he should refer to her as "Miss Stokes." As Trask enters the mausoleum, Angelique closes the coffin, explaining that the talking he heard was a final prayer for her sister. May she rest in peace, Trask intones, voicing the only religious sentiment anyone ever expresses in Parallel Time. None the wiser, he drives Angelique back to Collinwood.

At Collinwood, Dameon tries to warn Quentin but his ghostly abilities are no match for Angelique. A moment later the disturbance stops abruptly--at the moment Angelique reenters Collinwood, where she forgets herself so far as to look around the drawing room in wonder. I just can never believe how really lovely this room is, she murmurs.

It turns out that Chris is Cyrus's lawyer as well as Quentin's. He's concerned because Cyrus has opened a new bank account for John Yaeger with five thousand dollars--quite a lot of money in 1970. How long have you known this person? he demands. Not long, but I know him well enough, replies Cyrus. I want to meet Yaeger, Chris says, and I need his signature for the bank account. Being an unworldly scientist, Cyrus apparently didn't realize this but agrees to send Yaeger around soon. Chris climbs up the stairs rather unhappily--and this is Don Briscoe’s positively last appearance on the show. [After Cyrus next changes to Yaeger, presumably he meets Chris and kills him, because Chris is never seen again.]

Cyrus and Quentin meet at the mausoleum. Quentin decides to take one last look at Angelique. He opens the coffin lid and gazes down at what is actually Alexis’s body. He marvels at her beauty, then adds, Well, my dear, goodbye--forever, this time. He shuts the lid, and he and Cyrus carry the coffin outside. He sets a torch to the coffin, which instantly bursts into flames. Cyrus steps back, perhaps surprised at the intensity of the fire, and the two friends watch it burn, never dreaming that it now contains Alexis’s very definitely lifeless body. [As the coffin burns, someone quickly dashes across the scene.]

Up in her old room once more, Angelique is happily trimming a plant with those unnecessary pruning shears when Trask comes in after knocking (no properly trained butler would ever knock!) to tell her that Quentin has returned. He remarks that seeing how quickly "Miss Alexis" (he still should call her Miss Stokes) has settled in sometimes even makes him think that Miss Angelique (he should call her the first Mrs. Collins) never died.

Quentin prevails on Cyrus to return to Collinwood for a drink. This takes some doing, as Cyrus is always pleading his work, but Quentin finally insists he's working too hard. Quentin goes upstairs to tell “Alexis” that the deed is done. There is going to be a big change in the atmosphere around here, he tells her, and adds, I hope it will bring Maggie back where she belongs. Maggie? Angelique asks. Although Maggie’s return surely was not Angelique’s goal in coming back from the dead, she judges Quentin’s reaction and covers up her surprise and anger fairly well. I hope that Maggie and I can meet again under more favorable circumstances, she says politely. [Is this a blooper by the writers? We know that before killing Alexis, Angelique took from her mind what she needed to know about the present situation.] I hope you can become good friends, Quentin says. I see no reason at all why we shouldn’t, Angelique replies. I’m glad you came to the mausoleum with  Cyrus and me, Quentin says. It takes a big load off all of our shoulders, especially yours, and I want you to be very happy for as long as you’re at Collinwood. I feel like a different woman now, Angelique agrees. Quentin remembers his guest downstairs and invites “Alexis” to join him and Cyrus for a drink, but “Alexis” declines, explaining, After what I’ve been through tonight, I would rather be alone.

Meanwhile, Cyrus is down in the drawing room waiting for Quentin to return and bothering no one when he suddenly goes into convulsions. To his horror, he sees coarse black hairs spring up on the backs of his hands (well, glued there by Makeup, I suppose). His fears are confirmed when the face of John Yaeger confronts him in a handy mirror. (Fortunately, Makeup seems to have given up on the execrable false nose.) It seems Cyrus doesn't need the Yaegerade after all--and this time, the change took place spontaneously in only a few moments. Trying to think what to do next, he locks the drawing room doors. Quentin comes down, finds the doors to his own drawing room locked against him, and calls out to Cyrus while pounding on the doors. But for once John Yaeger is paralyzed with fear of discovery....

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 03:54:26 AM »
It's sad to have to say goodbye to Don Briscoe. Chris Collins was never developed much as a character but Chris Jennings was a big part of the DS mythos. Chris Collins is referred to off and on throughout the story, so if he did meet John Yeager, nothing came of it.
Quite an amazing job by Lara Parker. Alexis is shocked and genuinely terrified while Angelique is coldhearted and selfish. I do wonder what would have happened if Trask had entered the mausoleum during any of this. Would she have
killed him as well? And what would have Angelique's strategy have been if someone else had touched her other than his sister?
Cyrus and Quentin's decision to burn the body plays right into Angelique's scheme. But why couldn't they have gone to the police? Yes, it is odd that her body was still perfectly preserved but what would the police have done? And Quentin should have enough money to ensure their silence.
Angelique comes home to Collinwood but managed to convince everyone (at least so far) that she is Alexis Stokes. She reacts to the name of Quentin's new wife with a mixture of curiosity and somewhat concealed disdain. Obviously, she has plans for Maggie but it will be a bit before she acts on them.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 11:46:16 PM »
The warmth of Alexis's touch has recalled to life, Angelique. [candle_in_skull_2]
And now they will trade places. I liked Alexis and for some reason, I though, she was around much longer.  Angelique makes sure there is no chance for Alexis to be revived by agreeing with Q that the body must be burned and it is with Cryus' help.  Once the coffin goes up in flames, Cryus starts having werewolf like pains and developes a hairy hand before turning into Yaeger.
Afterwards there is a good interview with Aunt Hannah/ Paula Laurance who talks about being a fan of the show and knowing Shirley Grayson and THayer David when they were younger and Sam Hall writing plays the were not quite up to par.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 01:06:24 AM »
[Is this a blooper by the writers? We know that before killing Alexis, Angelique took from her mind what she needed to know about the present situation.]

Ang got a little information verbally, but I don't remember anything supernatural to obtain information.

It never occurred to me that Alexis might be dead in the coffin, but it makes sense now.  I thought they just traded places and situations.

[female_skull] [skull_winks]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 10:51:34 PM »
I will miss Briscoe...

He always seemed very heartfelt and genuine in his portrayals of all his characters.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 03:59:02 PM »
Indeed, RQ.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 08:48:46 PM »
I didn't know Don Briscoe myself but a couple of my friends tracked him down in Tennessee and slowly built up a relationship with him. They eventually went to visit him. He wasn't as damaged as some stories make him sound. Although he was probably too fragile to ever attend a festival, he was okay in a small group. He was flattered to be remembered and proud of his contribution to DS. And he remained in touch with my friends for years.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 05:39:52 AM »
Loved reading your version, Unc, thanks for that.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 03:01:24 PM »
Yes, thank you. He seems to have gracious through everything.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 03:17:18 PM »
You're welcome! The story of their meeting with Don is told in more detail in the fanzine Fangs for the Memories, which was published by Helen Samaras. It's currently out of print. Hopefully, she will be reprinting it, along with some other stories, for the 50th anniversary festival.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 12:31:21 AM »
If anyone is interested, here's some strange rehearsal footage from this "switcheroo" episode posted on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8IMeJRLzDc

I'd forgotten about it until I was recently re-watching this episode...

Any clues as to where this came from?

I wish there was more of this sort of material other that the scene slates they added to the early Pre-B episodes.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."