Author Topic: disappointment with josette's portrait  (Read 660 times)

Offline denise

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
disappointment with josette's portrait
« on: March 23, 2002, 09:59:56 PM »
i have always been disappointed with the way they painted that portrait it never did justice to the way she
looked.  

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Re: disappointment with josette's portrait
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2002, 10:37:00 PM »
The powers that be didn't decide to have KLS permanently play Josette until after that picture made its debut on DS. In the 1991 remake, the picture looked exactly like Joanna Going, who portrayed both Victoria Winters and Josette. They made little or no effort to change the portrait on the original DS because I guess they hoped that if the audience saw it enough, they would eventually superimpose KLS' face on the portrait and decide it really DID look like her after all!

;D

Love, Robin

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2002, 02:26:39 PM »
They made little or no effort to change the portrait on the original DS because I guess they hoped that if the audience saw it enough, they would eventually superimpose KLS' face on the portrait and decide it really DID look like her after all!

:) ;D :o ;) ;D ::) :) ;) ;D :( ::) :D ;D :) ;) ::) :o ;D :D ;) :)
We do see it on a continuous basis throughout the series until 1840 sequence.

Spoiler.....

It is heavily used in 1897 especially when TLATKLS as Lady Kitty, wearing Josette's weding dress, fades into the portrait.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2002, 04:46:27 AM »
The powers that be didn't decide to have KLS permanently play Josette until after that picture made its debut on DS.  In the 1991 remake, the picture looked exactly like Joanna Going, who portrayed both Victoria Winters and Josette.  They made little or no effort to change the portrait on the original DS because I guess they hoped that if the audience saw it enough, they would eventually superimpose KLS' face on the portrait and decide it really DID look like her after all!

;D

Love, Robin

According to KLS in "DS Scrapbook" they did in fact modify the portrait to make it look a little bit more like her. I noticed when the portrait "arrived" in 1795/6 that it seemed more vivid. I think that's when they repainted it. It was appropriate because at this point the portrait is supposed to be brand new. (Unfortunately, however, it still looks just as vivid when we return to 1967!) I know a second modification was made during the 1897 storyline because suddenly there was this huge artist signature and the date "1797" down at the bottom of it. This was odd since Josette died in 1796 but unfortunately they felt some need to rewrite history so that the previous time line coincided with the (then) current one by exactly 100 years.