Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0993  (Read 725 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0993
« on: October 10, 2015, 05:20:18 PM »
Robservations #993

(This is the first ep that was taped concurrently with the shooting of hoDS - though it is not the first ep we've watched that was taped concurrently with the shooting. For more details, check out:
]1970PT Watching Project Addendum
)

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0993

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 11:59:34 PM »
Alexis has a really elaborate hairdo.  She is saying it was murder and that is why her sister is. Not at rest.  [8_1_1]  Sabrina is back at work. I still find this uninteresting.   It is revealed that Sabrina remembers someone standing by Angelique while she was being strangled by Quentin.  Quentin asks Aunt Hannah to,check out the restless spirits and then the sheet music turns up with weird looking blood on it. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 08:36:45 AM »
I like how it's stated matter-of-factly that Quentin started strangling Angelique just before the lights went out, and when the lights came back on, she was mysteriously dead!!

[candle_in_skull_2] [female_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 02:49:27 PM »
It's obvious even to Quentin that Alexis isn't playing the piano. (And the piano isn't playing "Ode to Angelique," even thought that's what we hear. And it continues to play silently after the music stops.)

Sabrina is diligently doing something in the lab when Horace returns. You don't have your engagement ring anymore, he observes, adding slyly, Is something amiss between you? No doubt her fervent denial tells him no end of things about her and Cyrus’s relationship, but nothing definite about what has been happening. She wants to take the package; he says only Cyrus can sign for it. He parks himself on a chair and composes himself to wait for Cyrus.

Alexis moves to another room at Collinwood. Both she and Quentin feel the chill in the air that according to tradition portends the presence of a ghost.

Cyrus returns to the lab. Miss Stuart was most diverting, Gladstone tells him. The two men exchange phony pleasantries, then Gladstone starts to talk about some “difficulties,” so Cyrus sends Sabrina upstairs to get some coffee. Cyrus checks to make sure she’s out of earshot, then warns Gladstone, I don’t talk about the experiment in front of anyone--including Sabrina. I found an infinitesimal impurity, Gladstone reports, but I can’t believe it could have caused such extreme amnesia. It might have been enough, Cyrus says. The chemical balance is extremely delicate. Gladstone wants to know: (1) how Cyrus is using the synthesis; (2) on whom or what he’s using it; and (3) how he’s measuring the effects. Cyrus refuses to give him any information and pointedly holds the side door open. Gladstone takes the hint. Goodnight, he says angrily. We’ll meet again soon.

Cyrus eagerly starts to open the package but is interrupted when Sabrina returns with coffee. You need rest, she insists. I neither wants it nor need it, he replies brusquely. She says, I heard Mr. Gladstone say something about a difficulty. With a shifty-eyed look, Cyrus tells her there is nothing to worry about. I think it’s a general lack of rest, Sabrina insists. I have seen your hands shake. Cyrus promises to go upstairs and rest if she will wake him in half an hour. She talks him into one hour. They exchange a chaste kiss, and he goes upstairs.

Sabrina's next visitor is Alexis, who demands to know why Sabrina screamed "Murder!" at the séance. Not even Alexis seems shocked that apparently Quentin tried to strangle Angelique after a male spirit spoke through Sabrina, saying that Angelique was fooling around with Bruno. I wonder if Angelique didn't steal some of Alexis's boyfriends when they were younger.

Much as he dislikes her and much as it surprises her, Quentin is forced to ask Hannah Stokes to rid the house of the spirit that has been haunting it. Hannah is still convinced that it’s Angelique; Quentin acknowledges that it’s a possibility. She agrees to make a start, but then the lights go out, the drawing room windows fly open, a cold breeze flows in, and Hannah is attacked by an unseen force that tries to strangle her. When Quentin turns the lights back on, the attack ceases. I can do nothing to help you, Hannah says. The spirit that roams these rooms will not be driven out! It will do anything to stay! She lowers her voice in fear as she tells Quentin, The spirit is most powerful. Suddenly the desk drawer opens by itself. Inside Quentin and Hannah discover a copy of "Ode to Angelique" with blood all over it. Attached to the music is a note that in an unknown hand rather unnecessarily warns them, “It must be tonight.” All this is too much for Hannah, who is too frightened to try to understand. Quentin makes her promise to say nothing about all this to Bruno. She’s ready to promise almost anything as long as she can leave immediately. The foyer clock reads 10:10.

At 11:15, Quentin is telling Alexis about what happened with Hannah. He is about to show her the bloody sheet music when the phone rings. Hannah tells him, I have read the cards. They warn of danger for everyone at Collinwood--what kind I cannot say. Quentin relays this news to Alexis. Perhaps the spirit isn’t Angelique after all, he muses, but someone else who could cause great harm. He thinks they should all leave Collinwood, but Alexis is determined to stay and find out what is happening. She goes upstairs.

Now alone in the drawing room, Quentin wonders what it all means. He suddenly notices that the desk drawer is closed again, even though he doesn't remember closing it. He opens it again, but it’s empty this time. Before he can speculate much further on this, the windows fly open again, a sudden rush of wind enters the house and he hears a loud clunking sound from somewhere inside the house. The piano upstairs starts playing the Ode to Angelique. Thinking it’s his late wife, Quentin implores her to appear to him. He runs to the foyer to go upstairs, then changes his mind and runs back into the drawing room. Someone--or something--he sees there makes him recoil. No! he gasps....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 10:20:34 PM »
Hannah VO.  [spoiler]Maybe Quentin asks Alexis what to do about problems because he was trained to defer to Angelique's judgment.[/spoiler]  I think Horace has been PO'd one time too many.  By Joe Caldwell.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 10:49:36 PM »
Hannah is the Dark Shadows version of Auntie Mame.

A little too much Cyrus/Gladstone here. The stuff at Collinwood is more interesting to me. At this point anyway.

I wonder if Alexis is beginning to regret coming back to Collinsport. She is rapidly learning that her sister was one nasty, amoral person. Still, she should be a little unnerved that her brother in law tried to strangle his wife right before she died. Quentin is a textbook case of someone who needs Anger Management classes. So it was a man who spoke through Sabrina at the first seance and accused Angelique of doing the wild thing with Bruno. Should this really have come as a surprise to anyone?

Blood stained sheet music. It must be tonight. Leads us to a pretty good cliffhanger.
Fade Away and Radiate