Author Topic: "Blue Whale" reference from 1968  (Read 580 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
"Blue Whale" reference from 1968
« on: September 25, 2015, 10:22:51 PM »
Fans,

I was re-visiting the 1970 film BOYS IN THE BAND, which already has two DS connections that are known to me--via actor Keith Prentice and cinematographer Arthur Ornitz.

I was quite surprised in a short kitchen scene in which flaming queen Emory (Cliff Gorman) mixes a vodka tonic drink in a blender for the butch Keith Prentice character.  The vodka is a lurid blue (looks more like gin to me, but I don't drink) and Keith asks, "What the hell is that--Windex?" Without missing a beat, Emory camps, "It's a blue whale! Oh Mary, don't ask!"

The play is set in 1968 which I believe was the year it debuted Off-Broadway. DS actors Don Briscoe and Chris Bernau were cast members at one point.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: "Blue Whale" reference from 1968
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 12:42:46 AM »
BITB is a personal fave...

given the time and the New York location there are several points of connection with DS.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: "Blue Whale" reference from 1968
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 02:40:42 AM »
It would seem that gay men are divided into two groups:  those who adore every arched eyebrow, camp innuendo and tongue-lashing torture-marathon of BITB, and those who just find it all "so very ugly."  Three guesses which "camp" I belong to.

Maybe I'll spot more DS references.  I have the distinct feeling that the playwright was a fan.

G.