Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0981  (Read 1160 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0981
« on: September 23, 2015, 05:16:11 AM »
Robservations #981

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0981

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 07:58:04 AM »
My theory as to why Barnabas wants to escape to PT, after seeing Barnabas sink his teeth into Carolyn a mere couple of minutes after his big PT entrance:  Instead of being surrounded by treasured friends and family members, whom he dares not assault, as in RT, he'll be surrounded by "alternates" of them, weird copies that don't seem quite real, people who are all strangers, and thus expendable and biteable.  Also, no one at all there knows his secret.  I really think this is it, probably in the minds of the writers, though it's never said out loud, or even implied. 

I've decided a prime trait of DS was that many ideas and assumptions the writers were pursuing were just never explained to the audience, which may be unique to DS.  It's like real life in that sense.  We don't get handy, convenient exposition provided for us, in the real world.

We begin to get PT backstory and biographies.  Maggie's father was Sam (an artist anyway) but he left, and Maggie had a sister.  Did she ever in RT?  Hoffman on Quentin's "special" relationship with Angelique, a line Grayson acted with relish, milking it nicely for all it was worth: "He had everything!!!"  [spoiler]"And never appreciated it!!" Hoffman added in her head, probably...[/spoiler]

Letter under drawing room door from "Angelique", making me first think of [spoiler]the letters from 1840 Quentin's first dead wife!  Is there anything DS didn't recycle?![/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 03:37:04 PM »
Great post, MT. I posted some thoughts about Barn in PT in the previous episode, but I suppose you're right. Barn will have to learn all over again that inevitably he'll get involved with people just by being with them.

This is the first full episode in PT. Grayson seems to having a blast channeling Mrs. Danvers.

We get our first inkling of PT Elizabeth's status when she frets to Hoffman that the checks haven't arrived.

So PT Quentin is married to PT Maggie! In our time, Maggie Evans is an only child. She probably would have liked a sibling, poor thing. Elizabeth talks about the two Evans girls and concludes, It will be odd having one of them come back as Quentin's wife. (Evidently parallel Sam Evans was successful enough to move to New York.) Hoffman agrees concisely, but looks very displeased. Not noticing, Elizabeth continues, I’ve been worried about Quentin since Angelique died. I hope he will be happy now. He was happy before, Hoffman says sourly, happier than he will ever be again. He had everything. Did he tell you what room he wanted? Elizabeth asks. No, Hoffman replies, I will take care of it. Elizabeth watches her stalk out of the drawing room and up the stairs.

Ever the gentleman, Barn apologizes to Carolyn and is concerned when she feels faint. And we also get an inkling of Carolyn and Will's financial status. Carolyn will tell her husband that Barnabas is a kind of parlor boarder. With a smile she says, I can tell him you rented a bedroom; we have talked about renting rooms. We are not rich as others are. Barn has to hide when Hoffman returns to glare at Carolyn. Carolyn asks Hoffman if she can sit for a few minutes. Hoffman stares at her, not bothering to hide her disbelief or her disapproval. Carolyn says irritably, Even when _She_ was alive, I was allowed to sit here. Hoffman tells Carolyn, I’ll be opening the suite down the hall, as Mr. Collins will be returning tonight. With his bride? Carolyn says with a big smile at the portrait of Angelique. Hoffman hesitates, then says yes and offers to look in on Carolyn later. That won’t be necessary, Carolyn replies. After Hoffman leaves, Barn is amazed to learn the name of Quentin's bride.

In their Boston hotel room, Quentin broods about returning to Collinwood. Even though she has never been there, Maggie is doing her best to fit in by wearing a smart pale green suit with an amazingly short skirt. She says gently, You used to sit this way in London when we first met--as if you were thinking about things I couldn’t possibly understand. You haven’t spoken since phoning Collinwood. Maybe we should have stayed away longer, Quentin says. You wanted to come back, Maggie reminds him. I think I made a mistake, he replies. Why do you hate going back to that house so much? Maggie asks. I didn’t say I hated it, he answers. It’s obvious that you do, Maggie says. Is it Angelique? Quentin starts at the name and walks out onto the balcony. I’m sorry, Maggie says contritely. Is it me you’re worried about? His distant look changes to a rueful smile as he turns toward her. I promise, I’m not as inefficient as I look, she says with a smile. I’ll be very good at managing the house. Offhandedly, Quentin tells her, Don’t worry about that--Miss Hoffman is very good at that. Then what is it? she asks. Oh, Quentin, please love me! I do love you, he tells her. I know you do, Maggie answers, staring into his eyes. You must never forget that--never, he says and they kiss passionately. Maggie suggests, If you don’t want to go back tonight, we could stay here in Boston and go to a concert. No, we leave tonight, he answers but softens the stern reply with a smile. As he holds her close, she can’t see the worry in his eyes.

At Loomis House, Barnabas gets his familiar basement room back to sleep in during the day. Carolyn is surprised when he brings her there. I never knew this room existed, she says. My husband still doesn't. Now I must find a coffin, Barnabas says. How do you know so much? Carolyn asks. He explains about parallel time and the different choices people have made in each time band, but she only stares at him blankly. He tells her, I came here hoping to escape what I am--but I failed. What choice did I ever have? Carolyn asks bitterly. In my own time, Barnabas tells her, you are the heiress of Collinwood. I would like that, Carolyn says. But Barnabas explains that our Carolyn's happiness is somewhat marred since her husband has just been killed. If he was expecting parallel Carolyn to feel sorry, he's disappointed--apparently there's little love lost these days between Carolyn and "Will" Loomis. He also tells her that Julia Hoffman is a doctor. Perhaps she is happier there, Carolyn comments. How did she come to Collinwood?Barnabas asks. Carolyn says, Hoffman came to Collinwood with Angelique. Sometimes it was hard to know who was in charge of the other. What do people know about Angelique? Barnabas asks. Everything, Carolyn replies. Ever since she was a little girl, Angelique always wanted to marry Quentin. She was Tim Stokes’s daughter. (Barnabas reacts to the name. Presumably in parallel time Ben Stokes married Angelique Bouchard, who came from Martinique with her mistress, Josette DuPres, in 1795.) Carolyn adds, Angelique outgrew her father when she became a Collins. Barnabas marvels at how much the same everything is, but how different. I’m starting to believe what you said about parallel time, Carolyn admits, but I don’t want to think about it right now. Did you like Angelique? Barnabas asks, but Carolyn whirls away from him with a frown. Barnabas notes dryly, You have answered my question. They leave for the cemetery to find a coffin before dawn.

Up in Angelique’s room, Hoffman addresses the portrait of her late mistress. So, _He_ is coming back--bringing _her_ with him. Even he must know that there can only ever be one Mistress of Collinwood.

In full Mrs. Danvers mode, Hoffman completely sabotages the bridal couple's return to Collinwood. Quentin storms out in a perfect fury--and not for the last time either, leaving an utterly bewildered Maggie to fend for herself. I’m afraid that coming back to Collinwood has upset Mr. Collins very much, Hoffman comments with a pleased smile. Suddenly alone in a great house that now seems dark and forbidding, Maggie watches Hoffman walk upstairs.

And we get our first dead-wife note[spoiler]--but far from our last![/spoiler]

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 04:23:19 PM »
And so begins the parallel time saga. Poor Carolyn Loomis, who is definitely in the wrong place at the wrong time. I wonder how differently the story might have gone if Barnabas had encountered someone else there, perhaps Trask or even Hoffman. Carolyn thoughtfully provides Barnabas and us viewers with sufficient back story to set the story in place.
So this Sam Evans was actually a successful artist [spoiler]though his back story is altered somewhat later on[/spoiler]. And this Maggie is not an only child. I wonder who Jennifer Evans was actually supposed to be parallel to and if there were any plans to bring her onscreen as a character.
Maggie and Quentin's arrival at Collinwood does not go well, despite Maggie flashing her Lollipop underwear. Hoffman is already starting to undermine Maggie and make her feel out of place. As if Maggie didn't have enough to handle with Quentin's quick temper. It's been established that Angelique has only been dead for about six months. Whatever the state of their marriage, it doesn't say a lot for Quentin that he would meet, court and remarry within such a short time. Maggie really has the deck stacked against her.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »
Maggie and Quentin's arrival at Collinwood does not go well, despite Maggie flashing her Lollipop underwear.

Honestly, I don't know what more someone could do, to get in good with the new in-laws.  I didn't even notice it, though.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 06:08:17 PM »
The clip always a huge reaction whenever it's been shown at a Festival. As well it should.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 06:34:40 PM »
I remember that scene, actually. I guess there was no time for a reshoot if KLS had to race up to Tarrytown for the movie. In fact, [spoiler]soon Maggie will leave for NYC in a huff so KLS can be in the film.[/spoiler]

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 12:31:16 AM »
Apparently in PT, Portia Fitsimmons had a huge impact on Sam's career!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 05:20:55 AM »
So much for a change so time changing Barnabas. Collinwood in PT seems more colorful. There are lots of flowers. I wonder if this is just for the launch or will continue.
Maggie has lots of hair and longer than I last recall. It reminds me of Vickie's hair in 1968ish.
Angelique is Tim Stokes daughter which I'd forgotten. Her favorite food is crabmeat and Champagne. I wonder do these Collins mainly can crab not sardines. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 03:37:11 PM »
We'll find out more about all the flowers a little ways down the line.

I liked Portia, and I wished she had had more to do, but I guess the actress got a better offer elsewhere in RT, if not in PT.

I guess Maggie is the designated Heroine no. 1, so she gets the biggest hair--?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 07:48:25 PM »
I liked Portia, and I wished she had had more to do, but I guess the actress got a better offer elsewhere in RT, if not in PT.

I guess Maggie is the designated Heroine no. 1, so she gets the biggest hair--?

Audible chuckle, DL.  And who wouldn't want a Portia blowing into town, shaking things up a little, telling you you're talented, and will be a big hit in New York?  The only way she'd stay in Collinport, Maine, though, would be if she was caught dead there... becoming a vampire, say.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 08:05:01 PM »
Ha ha, yes, MT! And Vampire Portia would have given Barnabas quite a run for his money!  [ghost_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
Vamp Portia is suddenly my new favorite character-who-never-was...  She critiques the paintings on the wall, or the sculptures in the square, or whatever, just before biting...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 11:56:21 PM »
Yes, perfect!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 09:48:06 PM »
Whatever the state of their marriage, it doesn't say a lot for Quentin that he would meet, court and remarry within such a short time.

Though once things finally all come out, I do think the quick remarriage is understandable.[spoiler]Quentin was desperately attempting to put Angelique and his whole intolerable life with her behind him - and embarking on a new marriage was his idea of the quickest way possible to attempting it.[/spoiler]Though was it fair to Magge? Well, that's a whole other discussion...

Maggie really has the deck stacked against her.

That's for sure because Quentin will be completely unable[spoiler]to put Angelique behind him. Though that won't be entirely his own fault because Angelique will constantly be thrown in his face for one reason or another! Given that, how could he put her behind him?! How could anyone?![/spoiler]