Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #366 -- David Selby news, JGL movie opens soon, Marcy's update  (Read 563 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
***ANNOUNCING: DAVID SELBY IN CLASSIC PLAY LIVE-RECORING PERFORMANCE

***JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT – NEW FACT-BASED MOVIE  – SEPT. 30

***UPDATING: NOTE FROM SG EDITOR MARCY ROBIN

SHADOWGRAM NEWS UPDATE   # 366
September 20, 2015

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following key breaking news in this Official Dark Shadows News Online Update "Bulletin."

***ANNOUNCING: DAVID SELBY IN CLASSIC PLAY LIVE-RECORING PERFORMANCE

**** JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT – NEW FACT-BASED MOVIE  – SEPT. 30

***UPDATING: NOTE FROM SG EDITOR MARCY ROBIN

**** DAVID SELBY: JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG” – AT UCLA – SEPT. 24-27

DAVID (Quentin) has just joined the cast for the classic drama JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG, the premiere show in the 2015-16 season for Los Angeles Theatre Works. The presentation of Abby Mann's stage adaptation of his 1961 Oscar-winning drama follows a U.S.-led war crimes tribunal weighing the fates of German judges after World War II.

LA Theatre Works website: “Judgment at Nuremberg” is “an absorbing probe of the ethics of personal responsibility versus public duty.” The LATW cast “performs without sets or costumes” while being recorded live, with live sound effects and audience response. The drama will be “broadcast later on public radio nationwide.”

There will be 5 performances: Thurs., 9-24 (8 pm), Fri., 9-25 (8 pm), Sat., 9-26 (3 pm & 8pm), and Sun., 9-27 (4 pm).

The shows will take place at the James Bridges Theater on the UCLA campus at Melnitz Hall, 235 Charles E. Young Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90095.

Parking - enter UCLA off Sunset & Hilgard and park in Lot 3 – Visitors Section.

Box office: 310-827-0889, M-F 12 til 6. After hours: 866-811-4111. Online: https://web.ovationtix.com/trs/pr/947322

David has participated in a number of LATW’s recorded-live presentations over the years. These performances were detailed in SG print issues and email SG Updates at those times.)

**** JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT STARS AS REAL-LIFE AERIALIST IN NEW FILM “THE WALK” – OUT SEPT.  30

JOE (1991 DS David, Daniel) portrays the renowned French high-wire artiste Philippe Petit in THE WALK, screening in IMAX and regular theaters beginning 9-30.

The film chronicles Petit’s solo 45-minute walk along a cable strung between the tops of the 110-story Twin Towers of Manhattan’s World Trade Center on Aug. 7, 1974. With no net, harness, or other safety gear, Petit carried only a 60-pound balancing pole as he covered the ¼ mile between the then-recently opened landmark towers.   

The movie embraces 3D and special effects technology but is based in Petit’s life and his determined drive to accomplish the feat. Joe met and trained with Petit at his home in upstate NY. The actual walk scenes were shot in-studio with Joe on a real cable 12 feet off the floor. Camera angles and post-production realistically re-create the sensations, experience, and immense distance of being alone on a narrow cable 1350 feet above the streets of New York City.

THE WALK official trailer can be viewed at  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3488710/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

SG asks fans to please hare any media coverage of THE WALK and Joe’s role: on-air, print and internet articles, interviews, reviews, related stories, etc.

Please include your full name and identify the source and date. Send all materials to SG’s e- or postal- mail addresses below. Thank you.

**** * UPDATE: NOTE FROM SG EDITOR,  MARCY ROBIN

SG Online Update #365 (8-25-15) explained that I’d have surgery the next day for a hole in the retina of my left eye, a recurring consequence of lifelong severe myopia (near-sightedness). The gas-fluid exchange us done entirely inside the eye under local anesthesia and requires a long, gradual healing process which restricts daily activities and more. I’m still recovering, adjusting, and coping. I can see somewhat with the eye, though it’s hard to read, type, etc. My vision should continue to improve in the coming weeks. My next check-up with my excellent surgeon is in mid-October.

When “all is well” with my eye and I’m settled into my life again, I’ll prepare the next print newsletter – SG #127 – for publication and have it ready to mail to all current subscribers as soon as I can

My deepest thanks for all the encouraging good wishes, thoughts, cards, notes, and messages from so many. Your kindness is very appreciated. I especially thank Kathy Resch for her wonderful help working with me on my correspondence for the SG published newsletters, the SG Yahoo Group, and more.

Time-sensitive SG Online Updates like this one are posted first through the SG Group, then in other social media, as I receive confirmed DS-related news. These Updates always will premiere-announce official news for our upcoming DS Festival DS 50th Anniversary Celebration in Tarrytown, NY, June 24-26, 2016.

News related to DS, its personnel, the Fests, merchandise, and other references occur at any time. SG welcomes everything you share for the email SG Updates and print newsletters. As always, please send any DS materials with your full name and the source name/date to SG’s e- or postal- mail addresses below.

Marcy Robin