Author Topic: Viewing or Downloading Fest Photos  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Viewing or Downloading Fest Photos
« on: August 31, 2004, 06:12:28 AM »
This may not be a problem, but ...

I was viewing the board but not logged in.  I wanted to see a photo that was posted; it was one with a "paper clip" icon that you click on.  Because I wasn't logged in I wasn't able to view it, but there was an option to log in to see the photo.  I did that, and to my surprise, the photo opened in my own software, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.  Or rather, it appeared to download into the picture viewer.

Well, I didn't really want this photo to have downloaded to my computer -- I've just recently apparentlyl contracted a virus downloading something -- and so I tried to delete the photo from within the viewer by clicking on the "X" for delete.  That deleted the picture itself, but then there was a succession of icons, banners, that I tried to delete one by one, but every time I deleted one another one would pop up.  I finally gave up, then spent 20 minutes searching on my computer to try to see where these items had downloaded to.  I wasn't able to find that out.

Does anyone know what all downloaded to my computer when I viewed/downloaded the photo, and where it might have gone to in my system?

Can this be avoided in the future - i.e., just viewing a photo rather than downloading it?
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Viewing or Downloading Fest Photos
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 06:24:05 AM »
If a member clicks a link to an attachment, that will always initiate the download of that attachment to your computer. However, you don't have to worry that attachments on the forum might be infected with a virus because the forum's system guards against such things.

As to where on your hard drive the attachment might be downloaded, that can vary from person to person and browser to browser. However, normally a browser will ask which directory you want to download a file to.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 01:38:31 AM »
Vlad wrote:
I was viewing the board but not logged in

Whoosh!!! how does one do that?? (The board always recognizes me, unless Vlad was on a different computer.)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 02:02:48 AM »
how does one do that??

Log out -OR- delete your cookies -OR- visit using a computer on which your status here isn't that you're logged in.

That reminds me, and this is for everybody-- you may want to jot down the email address of MB, Dom or myself and keep it somewhere handy.  If for some reason other than a forgotten password you find that you cannot log in, your guest status will prevent you from seeing them in our profiles, and to spare us from some degree of spam they're not often typed into posts.