Author Topic: #0119/0120: Robservations 08/13/01: Roger vs. Burke; Carolyn vs. Joe  (Read 1301 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Episode #119 - The lights are burning late tonight at Collinwood, for my disappearance has caused great alarm--there are those who search for me--but their search may be in vain, because my captor has hidden me well.. They looked for me here (we see the inside of the Old House). They were so near that I wanted to scream to them from within the secret room, but my hopes are dimming now, for Matthew will surely not fail this time to take my life.

Joe walks through the woods, shining his flashlight, looking for Vicki. Coming from another direction, Burke searches, too, looking to the left and the right. Find anything? Joe asks him when they meet. Only you, says Burke. Thanks a lot, says Joe. Listen, your tracks are everywhere, says Joe--you wouldn't make a good fugitive. Want to bet on that? asks Burke. One thing I'll say for you, you must have covered a lot of ground, praises Joe. Not enough, apparently, says Burke. You also got a pretty loud voice, I could hear you all over the place, says Joe. Dogs howl. (Barnabas?)--if Vicki was nearby, she could hear you, too. She's nearby, Burke assures him, I'm sure of it--maybe she couldn't answer. She might be hurt?--lying helpless somewhere? suggests Joe. If she's lucky, replies Burke--because if Matthew's got a hold of her, there's nothing we can do. They move on.

Collinwood - The clock strikes one AM. Carolyn comes downstairs in her robe and touches Vicki's suitcase, still lying on the foyer table. She enters the drawing room, calling for her mother, but Liz, still dressed, is outside, looking around, a coat thrown over her shoulders. She comes in and Carolyn runs to her, asking if they've found Vicki yet. No, says Liz, warming herself against the cold, Joe came back for a minute, then went out again--it's been a few hours--I've made them some coffee---it's cold and damp out there. What do you think happened to her? asks Carolyn. I've thought too much about that already, says Liz, going into the drawing room. Carolyn follows. You make it sound so awful, she says--Vicki will turn up, she can take care of herself. Under normal circumstances, yes, says Liz, but if you'd seen Matthew at her throat as I did, you might not feel so confident--Vicki's a very vulnerable girl and Matthew's a very desperate man. Matthew's miles away from here, says Carolyn. I wish I could be sure of that, says Liz. He couldn't be around here, it would be too dangerous for him, says Carolyn. The sheriff said all our roads are blocked, Liz tells her, but they haven't seen him yet--he could be anywhere. But NOT here, insists Carolyn. I don't know, says Liz, he's lived in this area so long, he knows more hiding places than David! Burke will find her, says Carolyn gently. I hope so, says Liz, then looks at her daughter's moonstruck face and says, "You have a lot of faith in him, haven't you?" Shouldn't I have? asks Carolyn. You know my answer to that, says Liz. I knew this was coming! laments Carolyn. Yes, that's one redeeming feature about the obvious, says Liz--you can always depend on it--Burke is an obvious person--he's an enemy of this family and therefore an enemy of yours, too. You will never sell me that, says Carolyn. I won't have to! cries Liz--he'll do it himself--he'll hurt you badly, and it's just a question of time. I wouldn't be too sure of that, says Carolyn. It's inevitable! says Liz--Burke is dedicated to revenge--you'll find you're only his instrument! That's because you only see what's on the surface, insists Carolyn, you refuse to go beneath and find the man he really is. No, darling, that's your mistake, says Liz, and a very serious one--Burke only permits you to se the man he wants you to see--he's calculated and well-planned, and you'll find you have an important role on his plans. You've lived in this house too long, says Carolyn, everything's sinister to you. If you could just look at him objectively, says Liz, you'll see he's too old for you, you're still a young girl! That's the way you see me, of course, says Carolyn, wiping away a tear--tell me, Mother,, when will you bestow the title of woman on me? When it's a fact, says Liz. Well, it won't be a woman who bestows that title on me, it'll be a man--Burke Devlin, says Carolyn defiantly. Carolyn! says Liz. I'm sorry to be this way, but it doesn't matter if you rant and rave, lock me in my room, disinherit me--I'm going to spend my time with him--and maybe even my life.
It will be a terrible life! says Liz--because he'll destroy you--that's the only thing he knows how to do! Carolyn doesn't reply, she just walks over to the fireplace, her flipped hairdo dancing.

Liz paces the drawing room while Carolyn looks through a magazine on the piano. Outside, Roger's car pulls up in front of the house; he gets out and enters. He closes the doors and removes his hat. When Liz meets him at the door, he jokes that he didn't expect a welcoming committee this time of night. He takes off his coat. Have you seen Vicki anyplace? Liz asks him. Oh, I've see that girl in many places, he says. Tonight? asks Liz anxiously. I'm merely generalizing, my dear, he says. She's vanished, I thought you might have some idea where she'd be, says Liz. Not in the slightest, says Roger, dropping his coat over Vicki's suitcase, and it doesn't interest me one bit. Oh, Roger, says Liz, following him into the drawing room--how can you be so indifferent? He pours a drink. My dear sister, he says, I have a compulsion to preserve my way of life, and that little girl does nothing but interfere with it. But this may be serious! protests Liz. Everything is serious with that girl, says Roger, annoyed. He drinks. They've searched everywhere for her! says Liz. What do you want from me, asks Roger, do you want me to go our into the cold of night and beat the bushes? (Yes, you lazy SOB, that would be nice.) I expect you to show some concern for a girl who may be in danger, says Liz. Perhaps you expect too much from me, suggests Roger. I expect you to have some compassion, she says. I reserve that only for those who deserve it, says Roger--such as you, my dear, he tells Carolyn, still reading the magazine. What an honor, she says. Although I don't know if I should even be talking to you, he says, considering the way you defy me--I suppose I'm foolish to deliver an ultimatum to a creature as wild as you are. Yes, giggles Carolyn, very foolish, since it only heightens my desire to defy you further--I spent a wonderful and memorable evening with none other than Burke Devlin. Roger glances at Liz, then back at Carolyn. Well, that doesn't speak very much for you, he says--it indicates a major shortcoming in your sense of judgment. Which proves me to be a Collins, she shoots back. Roger puts down his drink. Listen, he says, I'm going to try to appeal to your sense of intelligence, to make you understand what Devlin represents. What he represents to you is not what he represents to me, she insists. Oh, and what might that be? he asks. Fulfillment, she replies. Exactly, says Roger--fulfillment for him, but not for you--and fulfillment for him means the destruction of everything the name of Collins stands for! So my mother just told me, says Carolyn, and they both look at Liz, sitting on the sofa. I know you're fascinated by Devlin, says Roger, he's different, but that will wear off very shortly, there are many like him!--he's really quite common. Carolyn, her arms crossed over her chest,, says, "He's hardly that." She gazes into the fireplace. By common, says Roger, I mean he's predictable--you always know what he's thinking, and what his next move is going to be. If you know him so well, says Carolyn, he should be absolutely no problem for you. He's an annoyance, says Roger, and a temporary one at that--my dear, if only you knew that he's using you--you can't see it now, but you will sooner or later--and it may be too late--it will be a terrible experience for you--and it will be just as terrible for us to stand by and watch it. Have you ever considered you might be completely wrong? asks Carolyn, walking away from him. I don't have to, he says, he told me that I'm right, by letting me know his tactics--if you continue to see him, which I hope you won't, you will get to know his methods. What methods? she asks. Simply the choosing up of sides, says Roger--he will draw a line and stand on one side, that will be "for Devlin." What's the other side called? asks Carolyn. Everything and everybody--Burke Devlin against the world! says Roger. That sounds like even odds to me, says Carolyn, returning to the magazine. And then, my dear, he will tell you where to stand, warns Roger. I'll know where to stand, says Carolyn. Oh? he asks Roger--and where will that be? Wherever I choose, she says. You may have no choice, he says, if Devlin should win, your usefulness may be ended. It would be quite a surprise to you if Burke were not using me, she says. It would indeed, he says, I would have to reevaluate my whole scheme of ideas. He goes to Liz and makes a gesture that says, "I tried--your turn." Did Burke tell you about his new business venture? asks Liz. He does not discuss business with me, Carolyn says. Then you don't know that he's taken over Logans Enterprises? asks Liz. Did he really? asks Carolyn. Yes, today, Liz informs her--and he celebrate with you tonight. Logansport Enterprises, says Carolyn, a note of uncertainty in her voice--well, you've got to say this for him--he certainly does things in a grand manner. No, says Liz, that is not the grand manner--what Burke did was purely underhanded, destruction his goal. And that is pure hypocrisy, accuses Carolyn--with all you've said about him, you were still glad to see him tonight! You saw him tonight? Roger asks his sister. He came here to search for Vicki, says Liz. And you hate him so much, that you made coffee for him when he returns, says Carolyn. Burke Devlin coming into this house tonight? asks Roger, giving Liz a look of fury
--just remember, whatever happens, you've brought it on yourself.

Woods - We see two pairs of feet walking over leaves--Burke and Joe searching. Before we get back, says Joe, there's something I want to say to you. Don't take too long, says Burke, pulling up his collar--I'm very fond of this climate. Listen, I was an idiot earlier tonight, says Joe. I could hardly disagree with that, says Burke. I shouldn't have swung at you, says Joe. It wasn't the swing I minded, says Burke, rubbing his jaw, it was the connection I resented. I didn't ever think I'd be apologizing to you, says Joe, That makes two of us, agrees Burke--I guess there comes a time in every man's life when he has to take a swing at somebody. Sure, says Joe, but for something important. You had an important reason, didn't you? asks Burke. I thought I did, says Joe. Do I detect a certain change in attitude about a young woman? asks Burke. You do, says Joe. Will this change benefit me? asks Burke. Has everything got to benefit you? asks Joe, annoyed. Well, says Burke, if I'm to make a profit--come on, Joe, tell me if I can expect a swing from you again. Not unless I can find a better reason than Carolyn, says Joe. I hope you don't, says Burke--so, you've given her up, huh? I don't know whether I ever had anything to give up, says Joe, she wants something, maybe it's you, maybe it isn't--I just know one thing for sure--it's not me--all the punching in the world isn't going to help me find a lost cause. That takes a lot to say, Burke tells him, I admire you for it. I'm not looking for your admiration, Joe assures him, I just want you to know how I feel. You haven't really told me how you feel, says Burke, all you've done is talk about lost causes--people who go down in lost causes are die-hards--they never really give up--I don't think you'll ever get that girl out of your mind. That will be my problem, says Joe. As my old Physics teacher said, the size of the torch is directly proportional to the heat of the flame--is it going to be a big one, Joe? No, it's not, replies the latter with a rueful smile. You'll never convince me of that, says Burke, not after the scrap we had. :Let's say to avoid any further scraps we forget the discussion entirely, says Joe.
I'd like to, says Burke, but I don't think you can do it...can we continue this discussion in a warmer place? No need to continue, says Joe, I've said everything I'm going to say. And they go on.

Roger nurses his drink. Liz looks out the window. Carolyn plays Chopsticks on the piano. Liz gives her a disapproving look and Carolyn stops playing. There's a knock at the door. Carolyn goes to answer. It's Joe and Burke, reporting they didn't find a trace of Vicki. Roger, left alone in the drawing room, looks pissed off at the sound of Burke's voice. We searched just about everyplace, says Joe. You must be frozen, says Liz, come on inside. I could stand to thaw out a little, agrees Burke. They troop into the drawing room and Burke spots Roger. What do you have there? Roger demands of Burke. A weapon, says Burke, holding up the rifle. It's mine, isn't it? asks Roger. I didn't want them to go out without some protection, says Liz, sitting on the sofa. It could be dangerous in here, as we'll as outside, quips Burke, handing Roger back his rifle. If you don't mind, says Roger, the sight of you with a loaded gun is not a very comfortable picture. Doesn't do much for you, either, says Burke, hands on hips. Roger removes the shells, and Joe gives him the other gun. Thank you, says Roger, removing the bullets from that one, too--so, your search was fruitless, eh? I'm afraid so, agrees Joe. For a girl who is supposed to teach, Vicki's stupidity is quite phenomenal, says Roger. That comment was un-called for, says Burke. (And I completely agree.) Carolyn looks and listens. Quite the contrary, says Roger, it's the only honest evaluation of that girl's behavior. You don't consider Vicki to be in jeopardy, then? asks Burke. Only for myself, says Roger--of course, I don't know what to label the sight of two grown men traipsing through the woods in the middle of the night, melodramatically with their guns at the ready!--oh, really, you're too much. There's a murderer outside! Burke reminds him, pointing his thumb toward the door--out there, that's a real menace. A menace? Asks Roger, yes, that's a subject you're rather an expert on, isn't it? Yes it is, says Burke, I made a careful study of one particular menace, which I will deal with shortly. Why don't you deal with this menace immediately? suggests Roger, holding the gun loosely at his side. Burke laughs--because I want to do a proper job on him, he says, almost in Roger's ear, just as he did on me! Do you think you'll get the chance? smirks Roger. Positive, says Burke. That gives you something to look forward to, says Roger, doesn't it? With great expectation, Burke assures him. Wouldn't it be terrible if you were disappointed? asks Roger.
It won't be, says Burke, because I planned everything very carefully--I've waited too long! It would be a shame to see all that go to waste, says Roger, replacing a bullet in one of the guns--and it's possible that it might--very well! He and Burke gaze at each other challengingly. (This exchange was amazing, nyah, nyah, I've got a bigger one than you, etc.)!

Liz offers coffee. You never were very discriminating about whom you feed in this house, remarks Roger. Liz invites Burke to sit down. He warms himself by the fire. Carolyn tells Liz she's going to bed now. I'll talk to you in the morning, Liz assures her. Carolyn tells Burke good night, and he says it back and tells her to sleep well. Carolyn just gives Joe a look, not wishing him good night, and sails past him. Liz asks Burke if he takes cream and sugar. Joe goes to Carolyn, who stands on the bottom step, and reminds her she didn't say good night to him. Didn't I? she asks--I could have sworn I said goodbye--rather firmly. Look, I want to talk to you for a minute, he says. Under normal circumstances, she says, I'd be delighted to listen to your apology--as it is, I'm willing to forego it. I don't intend to apologize, he says, it wasn't you I belted. What do you want? she asks, I'm not feeling well and I'm very tired. Not feeling well? he asks, what's the matter, can't you handle your liquor? I can handle anything and anyone, she says, furious. I just wanted to tell you you don't have to worry about handling me anymore, he says. Fine! says Carolyn, send me a letter to that effect. I'm sorry to see this has happened to you, says Joe--you used to be a very nice girl. (When?) I'm even nicer now, she says, it must be the company I keep.
It's impossible talking to you, he complains. Have you finally realized that? she asks, I was trying to be subtle! And she flounces upstairs. (GOOD RIDDANCE, JOE!)

Roger, standing by the piano, moves one of the shells around in his hand. Joe comes in and Liz hands him a cup of black coffee, as he likes it. He thanks her. She offers sandwiches, too. Shouldn't you have served them the coffee in the kitchen? Roger sarcastically asks Liz. If I didn't dislike you so much, says Burke, I'd probably find you a very amusing person. I didn't intend to be amusing, says Roger. That's just the point, says Burke, drinking his coffee. Liz asks Burke if he has any idea where Vicki might be. If I did, I would have gone there, says Burke--have you heard anything about Matthew? No, the sheriff hasn't a clue to where he is, says Liz. I'd expect that of the sheriff, says Burke. I can't believe Matthew's gone very far, says Liz, he's not the kind of man who adjusts well to new situations. He adapted very well to being a murderer, chuckles Roger, you can say that much for him. That's why I'm so worried about Vicki, says Liz. I don't know where else to search, says Burke, Joe and I covered the entire area, didn't we, Joe? Yeah, says Joe, rubbing his forehead, we must have criss-crossed each other's paths about a dozen times. Well, we've got to find her, says Burke--I don't know where else to search. The tide was in, says Joe, maybe in the morning we can cover the beach and lower part of the cliffs. You're on, says Burke--I'd like to change into something drier and warmer--would you drop me off at the hotel? Sure, says Joe, maybe I can get some of the fishermen to come along with us tomorrow. That would be a great help, says Burke, I'll have to check the coastline up and down for miles, just in case. You seem inordinately concerned, remarks Roger. Do I? asks Burke--well I am!--and I'm sorry to say your lack of concern I resent very much--personally, if I didn't know about Matthew, you'd be number one on the list. Isn't it about time you changed into something dry? asks Roger nastily. Yes, agrees Burke, and tells Liz he'll be at the hotel; if she has any word in the next half hour, please let him know. Of course I will, says Liz. I'll be back as soon as I can, promises Burke. I hope you're not planning to make this house your search headquarters, says Roger. Not necessarily, says Burke, but I may have some other plans for it--soon! Liz tells Burke she appreciates him searching for Vicki, but not his last remark. I didn't expect you would, but it was intended for your brother, says Burke. We're talking business now, you don't have to be so polite, says Liz--anything pertaining to the cannery or this family is directed at me, she says. You're very realistic, says Burke. Yes I am, she says, it's the only way to be in business--that's why you're going to fail in your efforts to bankrupt us. Because you're realistic? asks. Yes, and because you're not, she points out. I didn't make my money on fantasy, he assures her. You didn't buy Logans Enterprises for business reasons, she says, and no one ever made money on revenge. I'll be the exception, insists Burke. Of course he will, says Roger, he knows every filthy trick in the book! Burke grabs Roger by his lapels and shoves him up against the drawing room door. Because I learned all of them from you, he says, and lets him go. Burke leaves.
Roger goes to the piano and takes down the gun, clearly intending to use it. ROGER! says Liz, looking at him sternly. Roger turns away and places the gun back on the piano, struggling to get control of himself.

NOTES: I do love watching Roger and Burke snipe at each other, and that was a good one. You could tell Roger really wanted to kill Burke, and if Liz hadn't stopped him, very well might have. Of course, he'd have had to put the bullets back in the gun. Good stuff!

Carolyn, virgin? Given how cozy she's been with Joe, I figured they'd done the deed already, but when she speaks of a man turning her into a woman, I guess she means Burke, and that he would be her first. There was also Joe's sarcastic reference to her staying until tomorrow morning when he caught her in Burke's apartment. Her mother warns her about Burke, then her uncle, clearly, logically, yet she insists that she's not just going to spend time with Burke, but possibly her life. That she really believes he wants her for herself shows how young and immature she is, but I think she's in love, or thinks she is, and she's wearing blinders as far as Burke is concerned. If I read today's ep correctly, she was going to have Burke do what Joe hasn't yet done--bestow the title of woman on her.

I was glad to see Burke and Joe arrive at common ground regarding Carolyn, and pleased that Joe has officially dumped her and vice versa. He deserves better and the way she's behaving, she deserves Burke and what he's going to do to her. Joe is such a nice guy, and Carolyn's childish behavior tells me that while she might get laid, she won't deserve the title of woman until she grows up a whole lot.

Roger has not forgiven Vicki; his comments about her stupidity WERE, as Burke said, uncalled-for. I think it was cowardly and cruel of him not to be helping with the search, too, but he said it himself--he's only concerned about Roger Collins.

Episode #120 - Morning has come to Collinwood, and my bed is still empty. I might not ever sleep in that bed again, for my searchers have not yet found me, and my captor is a desperate man. Morning has come to the ghost house--after a night of terror, and the day holds no promise of salvation.

Matthew exists the secret room and gazes through the window. We hear seagulls. He returns to Vicki, who is still sitting in the chair, a gag in her mouth. There's nobody around out there, he tells Vicki, getting very close to her, nobody in sight--not a sound but the wind, the gulls and the sea--safe sounds--sounds of things that will never hurt me--it's only people I gotta worry about--people can hurt me--and you--me, I don't want to hurt ya, unless you make me--I don't like to see you with that gag on--I don't like it--I'm gonna take it off, give you a chance to see if I can trust ya
--let me tell ya--you let out one sound, and I'll close your mouth forever!--and he wraps his hands around her throat.

Matthew takes the gag from Vicki's mouth and holds it around her neck, warning her that one scream, and this will fit pretty good around your throat. I promise, she says. Like all the others? he asks. No!, she says. We'll see, he says--I don't want to hear ya beggin' me for mercy, askin' me to let you go--it won't do ya any good, and it will make me mad. I won't, she says. All I want from you is to shut up and leave me alone, don't bother me--you're makin' things tough, he says. I can't help you, she assures him. I don't need your help, he says, I've got everything all figured out--for me--what'll happen to you is something else. It isn't my fault that all of these things have happened, she argues. It is! he says, everythin' was all right until you came here, months ago, when you came to Collinwood, started askin' questions, prying, snooping, botherin' everybody. You act as if I'm responsible for everything that happened! says Vicki, well those things would have happened even if I hadn't come here! That's not so, he says, pacing--too late now, we made our mistakes, you and me, only the difference is, I'm going to get away with mine, because what I did, I did for a good reason, for other people, the Collins family, I didn't do it for myself! I'll explain to everybody, she says. They wouldn't understand, he insists. I'll make them understand, she tells him. No one can help me, he says. I CAN! she says. They want to punish somebody and I'm not gonna let 'em punish me! he says--they'll never get a chance to, because they'll never find me! They'll come back here and search the way they did last night, she warns him. They can tear this place apart, stone by stone, board by board and they'll never find me! he says, I'm a lot smarter than people think I am--I'll be outta here before long--all I have to do is hole up for a little, be patient, I got a long life ahead of me! How long can you stay here? she asks--what are you going to do about food and water? He smiles. How long can I stay here?--food, water--I've got those little details all figured out, he brags--I got the best food and better water--maybe you're a little hungry, huh?--he grabs her hair and pulls it--breakfast is on its way if you behave yourself, I might let you have a little--and he lets go of her hair.

Mrs. Johnson is fixing David's breakfast. He's sitting at the kitchen table in a suit and tie, and asks her what's the matter. Everything, she says--like the mysterious disappearance of Miss Vicki Winters. She disappeared? He asks. Don't tell me you don't know about it, she says. They sent me to bed early, he complains, I didn't want to go to sleep, but I did--I remember they were asking about her--she went to Bangor, didn't she? That's what everyone thought, reports Sarah, but it turns out the last person to see her said she was going out to look for a wallet she dropped. Did they search for her? he asks. All night long, she says, pouring coffee--I could hear their voices calling her name, it had an eerie sound. Who was searching? David asks. Everyone, she says--police, the sheriff, young Joe Haskell, even Burke Devlin--that was a sight--he was right here in this house! David is disappointed--I wish I'd been awake, he says. Yes, she says, and he was really bothered by this, really worried--now when a man like Mr. Devlin is worried, I know something terrible is going on. Where could she be? he asks. If you ask me, she says, lighting a cigarette, I'd look in your aunt's crystal soup bowls for an answer---I'll tell you this, I think we've probably see the last of poor Miss Winters. No, says David, perturbed. Well, she says, puffing away, when I've seen men carrying guns, I've known death is somewhere close. Why were they carrying guns? He asks. They think old Matthew has got her, says Sarah. David drinks juice--but he wouldn't hurt her, he says. Wouldn't he? she contradicts. Matthew would hurt a fly, says David. Maybe not flies, she says, but people--you ought to be glad you're not in his clutches. I wouldn't be afraid of him, says David as she sips her coffee. Mmm, she says, that's what you say--I wouldn't want to be alone with him, would you? Why not? asks David--I trust Matthew more than I trust some other people. You trust the ghost of the widows, she says disapprovingly, you're a fine judge of character. Is that so? he asks--maybe I might know something that might surprise you. Just keep it to yourself, she says, I'm not in the mood for surprises, anyway. I wouldn't tell you anyway, he says, they really think Matthew's got her? They're searching the beaches right now, says Sarah, they think maybe her body fell from the cliff to the rocks below
--of course, if it washed out to sea, they might never find her. David looks upset. They'll find her, he says. She tamps out her cigarette and says, "One way or the other." She begins clearing the breakfast dishes. David looks at her, waits until she's washing the dishes in the other room, then takes out a paper bag and begins filling it with cans. He stops when he hears her cough, then resumes, adding cornflakes to the bag. He closes the cabinets and tosses a few rolls from the basket on the table into the bag, then steals Sarah's cigarette and matches, too. She comes in and asks where he's off to. Oh, out, he replies, hiding the bag behind his back, around. You'd better stay close to the house, she advises. Maybe I'll look for Vicki, he says. Maybe by rights you should, she says, if it wasn't for you, she might not be missing right now. What do you mean? he asks. If you'd done what you were told, she wouldn't have gone looking for you, says Sarah. You mean it's my fault? asks David. She makes a non-committal sound, then asks where her cigarettes are--they were right here on the table--don't tell me I'm losing my mind--I sat right here, opposite you, put the cigarettes here, where could they be--you don't know where they are? I don't know, honest, says David--and he leaves, taking the bag with him. Sarah continues to search for her smokes on the table.

David walks toward the Old House. Matthew spies him coming through the window and quickly goes to the secret room and opens the shelf. He closes it behind him. Vicki, seeing him about to gag her again, asks if he has to. Breakfast is on the way, he says, somebody's coming with the food--I'm warning you, don't make a sound--even if you do make some noise, there's not a chance in the world the person coming with the food could help you--just remember that. He tightens the gag and exits the secret room, looking out the window again. David walks up the stairs and enters the house. Matthew sits in a chair waiting for him. Surprise, surprise, look who's here, says Matthew, smiling. David greets him.
Vicki hears his voice and reacts with consternation. Sorry I'm late, says David--did you think I wasn't coming. I knew I could depend on ya, Davy, says Matthew--what have you brought me? Breakfast, says David. Ah, you picked the right time of day, says Matthew. I can't stay long, says David. I'm sorry to hear it, says Matthew, I look forward to talkin' to ya. I have to stay near the house, says David. Where's the brandy you promised me? asks Matthew. I didn't think you wanted it for breakfast, says David, making a face. That's OK, says Matthew, patting his arm, you can get it next time. There's a lot of trouble, says David hesitantly--Vicki's disappeared. She has? Asks Matthew--that's a piece of news. She's been gone since yesterday, says David. She'll turn up somewhere, Matthew assures him (like the sea)? They've looked and checked, everywhere, says David--they're afraid something's happened to her. What do they think happened? asks Matthew. They think...they think YOU have her, says David. Isn't that just like them, laughs Matthew--you see what I mean, Davy, how they want to blame me for everything. Vicki listens. Yeah, says David, that's just what they're doing, I wish I could say something, just to show them how wrong they are. Next thing you know, they'll be pinnin' every crime in the state on me! says Matthew, you can bet--forget it, they'll find her somewhere and then they'll have to admit they were wrong. If anything happened to her, says David, sitting on the crate, it would be my fault--remember yesterday she came to pick me up?--well, she dropped her wallet somewhere, and after she took me home, she went out to find it and she never came back--she didn't come here, did she? I woulda known, says Matthew, as Vicki hears this lie. She's got to be somewhere, insists David--I wish I could find her. I wish you could, too, agrees Matthew--maybe you ought to be gettin' back. And I also wish I could find something that could help prove you didn't kill Mr. Malloy, says David. I'm with ya on that, too, says Matthew, what's done is done, everything's gonna work out. You don't think my father could have her? asks David. If he could do some of the things he's already done, says Matthew, he might do anythin'--you gotta be very careful of people who kill--it gets easier as it goes along. Vicki reacts with alarm hearing this coming from Matthew.

I've got to find Vicki! says David. Why don't you go see what your father knows? suggests Matthew. I guess that's all I can do, says David. Tell me what happens, I'm anxious to find out, Matthew tells him. I'll be back later, promises David. I wouldn't go runnin' back and forth for the time bein' if I were you--everybody's lookin' for me and Miss Winters--you know what I mean? Sure, says David. Next time you bring food, says Matthew, bring it once a day from now on--if I get caught, I wouldn't want you dragged into it, get you into trouble--you're the best friend I've got, I wouldn't want to see you get into a mess because of me. I don't care much what happens to me, says David--I could die and nobody would care. (AW!) That's not true, says Matthew, putting his hands on David's shoulders--I would. You would, says David--you trust me, don't you? You know it, says Matthew. Tell me the secret, says David. Davy! Says Matthew, annoyed. You said you trust me! says David. I can't tell ya now! insists Matthew, his voice raspy. But you can, says David. I promised I'd tell ya at the proper time, says Matthew. I'll keep the secret, swears David. I told ya when I'd tell ya and it's not gonna be before that! says Matthew, temper flaring--so don't start pushing me. But I don't see why you can't tell me, pushes David. This isn't baby stuff, says Matthew, this is important! I know it is, that's why I want you to tell me! implores David.
WILL YOU GET OFF MY BACK! demands Matthew. David looks upset, and Matthew apologizes, again squeezing his shoulders. I didn't mean to do that, says the ex-handyman, sorry, you made me do it--why don't we just forget it for now, and maybe tomorrow or the next day, I'll be able to tell ya. OK, says David. You better be gettin' back before they miss ya, suggests Matthew. I'll be back this afternoon, says David. You're a good lad, the best, praises Matthew. Have a good breakfast, says David. Matthew says he will. David goes back down the Old House stairs. Matthew carries the bag into the secret room and closes the shelf behind him. I told ya breakfast was on its way, he says, untying her gag--everything is al worked out. That was David! says Vicki, surprised. Good ears, he says, Davy's been takin' care of me. He shouldn't be, she says, it isn't fair. I'll tell ya what's fair, he says, whatever will save my neck is fair, I don't care what it is. What are you going to do to David? she asks. Nothin' he says, Davy's my friend, he's helpin' me out. What if he gives you some trouble? She asks. He won't, I won't let him, says Matthew. What if he does? she persists. That will be my problem, he says--feelin' hungry? She admits that she's thirsty. He says he is, too, and that he'll go to the old well. He re-fastens the gag and leaves the secret room, first looking out the window.

David is approaching the shortcut fence when he remembers the cigarettes in his pocket, and he retraces his steps, heading back to the Old House. We see Matthew leaving, walking past the huge columns.

Vicki sits in the chair, bound and gagged. She hears David come back in and call Matthew--where are you?--I brought you some cigarettes!--Matthew. Vicki calls David's name behind the gag. He hears the muffled sound and asks, "Matthew is that you?" It's Vicki she says, I'm in here. Who is it? asks David. It's Vicki, she says, her voice completely muffled--please, David, I'm ion here, David, please! David listens at the shelf hearin the female voice calling David.

Matthew walks back toward the Old House.
Vicki begs for David's help, and he listens at the shelf, his face filled with fear.

NOTES: Will David save Vicki--or will he think that's a ghost calling to him? We can make out what she's saying, but he probably can't, since the shelf is distorting her voice. It's such a shame that David feels so unloved, and that if he died, no one would care. Matthew would, of course, since it would end his easy food supply, but it's terrible the way he's using this poor, messed-up child, pushing him toward the idea that his father killed Malloy. My fear here is that Matthew will return and feel he has to kill not only Vicki now, but David, who knows he's keeping her prisoner. I was remembering the glow of Josette's portrait--is it possible she will help Vicki eventually?

I remember when I watched these shows the first time around, one of my friends wondered how and where (and if) Vicki was going to the bathroom. There's no plumbing in the Old House, but does that mean Matthew is taking her to an outhouse, giving her the use of a chamberpot, or what?

Matthew got furious with David for asking, over and over, what his secret is. Matthew doesn't like being questioned like this, and it makes one nervous for poor David's safety. Matthew is a hair-trigger kind of guy, we've known that for a long time.

Loved David's conversation with Mrs. Johnson--and the way he stole her ciggies! I'm surprised she didn't accuse him of taking them. He was the only other person there!

How will all this end? I already know, but I still consider this very suspenseful, then and now.

Love, Robin