Author Topic: Grant Douglas/Quentin Collins  (Read 3244 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Grant Douglas/Quentin Collins
« on: August 31, 2015, 12:52:59 AM »
Do we ever find out how or why 1970 Quentin aka Grant Douglas forgot who he was?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Grant Douglas/Quentin Collins
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 01:26:16 AM »
I wish you could watch DS again dom... We know that Barnabas hit him with his car, presumably to kill him, as Barnabas was acting as a Leviathan agent.  I think we still don't know why "Grant" was on his way to Collinsport in the first place, or why he had been living in Portland (?) recently.  It would have been more than enough reason that Quentin would have wanted to welcome Barnabas and Julia back from 1897!  I would want to do such a cool thing, in his place.  He may also want to find his portrait, making periodic inquiries under an assumed name, living fairly far away so as not to attract notice... Maybe he was even afraid of Petofi turning up at this signnificant time.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 04:51:57 AM »
No, we never do find out why Quentin was in Maine at that time. Perhaps he was planning to use Carolyn to reintroduce himself to the family. He had learned about David in 1897 so he may well have some general information about the current branch of the family. Nor do we ever hear anymore about his relationship with Frederick Thorne.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Claude North

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 11:13:03 AM »
There are two audio stories released by Big Finish Productions (titled "The Darkest Shadow" and "The Haunted Refrain") which explain how Quentin lost his memory and why he began using the Grant Douglas name.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 04:05:41 PM »
Not that this has anything to do with anything, but I've had this dream a few times, that Quentin was a jazz musician in Chicago during the 1920's... Part of his unknown elaborate back story.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 04:15:20 PM »
The Signs That You Might Be Addicted To DS

You have dreams to fill in the DS characters' back stories!

[b003]

And you know what, I bet you're not the only one who's ever had them!  [ghost_nowink]  Not by a long shot...

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 04:34:34 PM »
Exactly MB. DS Anonymous... I would be a card-carrying member for sure.  [ghost_embarrassed]
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 04:37:45 PM »
DS Anonymous? Perish the thought! No such entity should ever exist - no matter how far some of us may get into the show!!  [ghost_nowink]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 11:02:41 PM »
(Let us continue to enable each other, as DS addicts.)
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 11:11:03 PM »
Hallelujah Magnus!!!  [ghost_cheesy]

Btw, my wife would sign me up immediately if there was a local chapter of DSA.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 11:12:41 PM »
Perish the thought!
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 01:36:43 AM »
what drove me absolutely insane was after 1970PT everyone suddenly acted like Quentin was an ordinary member of the family who had always been around. it was very sloppy writing/continuity.  [ghost_mad]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 01:16:52 PM »
They probably did that because the Gerard/Daphne storyline was just like the Quentin/Beth haunting and they decided it best to ignore it.

I always thought the present time family remembering Quentin's post 1897 was an indirect result of the Leviathan's messing the timelines together.  [spoiler]Once Jeb destroyed the Leviathan Box, everyone's memories and the timeline settled correctly so now they no longer remember Quentin's haunting.[/spoiler]

what drove me absolutely insane was after 1970PT everyone suddenly acted like Quentin was an ordinary member of the family who had always been around. it was very sloppy writing/continuity.  [ghost_mad]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 01:20:02 AM »
I honestly don't think there was really a narrative "reason" for it...

I just think they thought the lunch box/bubble gum card crowd wouldn't notice or care about such lapses in continuity. so they just dumped him in his old room with that stupid gramophone and called it a day.

but as an adult viewer stuff like that drives me nuts.  [ghost_tongue]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 03:30:04 PM »
In all fairness, whenever DC was in town, he DICTATED the storylines to the writers.  That's right, Dan Curtis was not only the producer, he was also the uncrowned head writer on the show.  There were longish periods when Dan was in England or elsewhere pursuing other projects and in those periods, the stories actually managed to make sense.  I think the first Laura Collins story (1966-67) was so well written because DC wasn't around to interfere--I believe he was in England throughout that period.

According to Sam Hall, if one of the writers tried to protest that what Dan ordered did not make sense, he would bark, "Are you writing the show or not?  I can get a lotta people to write this show."  So they would have to give in and do what he said, regardless of how loopy or incoherent.

In the final two to three years, the rhythm of the stories with all the cliffhangers and increasing avalanche of occulture meant that the writers themselves simply could not follow what was going on.  Add in the fact that many if not most of the shows were taped way out of sequence.

The reintroduction of Quentin in 1970 was purely driven by the character's huge popularity.  What I remember from what was revealed is that Frederick Thorne had been a previous alias adopted by Quentin before he assumed the Grant Douglas identity.  Immortals have to keep doing this because otherwise, people become curious why somebody that old still looks so young.  (It was before the invention of botox, guerilla plastic surgery, etc.)

cheers,  G.