Author Topic: NIGHT GALLERY on DVD - 8/24/04  (Read 1477 times)

ClaudeNorth

NIGHT GALLERY on DVD - 8/24/04
« on: August 23, 2004, 04:15:19 AM »
Hi Everybody!

Just wanted to let you know that Season 1 of NIGHT GALLERY will be released on DVD this Tuesday.  Among the episodes included in this set is "Certain Shadows on the Wall," featuring a certain Divine One... ;)

John

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: NIGHT GALLERY on DVD - 8/24/04
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 04:52:12 AM »
Just wanted to let you know that Season 1 of NIGHT GALLERY will be released on DVD this Tuesday.  Among the episodes included in this set is "Certain Shadows on the Wall," featuring a certain Divine One... ;)

[squealing excitedly]  Cooool. Thanks John!  ;D

p.s. get the capture button ready, 'kay...   ;)

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 05:07:31 AM »
I really hope that what I've read on this site: Night Gallery on DVD won't turn out to be true and that the quality of the release will be better than expected. But at any rate, as much as I'd love to have Grayson's NG episode on DVD, I'll be waiting to read the reviews before I buy it...

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 05:10:54 AM »
Ugh...sigh.   :-     :-[    :(

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 06:49:41 PM »
Merci, Jean-Claude, for the original announcement, and my usual grovelling thanks to the Mysterious God for that fascinating link (I had no idea this website existed).

It's so funny that this came up, because I have been doing my own little Grayson Hall film festival, and was wondering whether a quality release of Night Gallery would ever be issued.

Unfortunately, it would seem from this site that this is not to be the case.

G.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 08:43:08 PM »
I tend to take such criticisms with a grain of salt.  As a visitor to several DVD sites, I have read scathing reviews of releases that focus on flaws that most of us would not even notice.

The person behind the NG website is upset because Universal is using the remastered versions that were produced for the Mystery Channel, rather than creating a new set of remasters specifically for the DVD.  However, the site also includes a rave review of the quality of the episodes as they appeared on the Mystery Channel.

From what I understand, the episodes will be presented as they originally aired.  Considering how badly butchered they were for syndication, having them in their original form is reason enough to celebrate.

But, yeah, wait to read a few reviews from relatively more objective sources.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 08:50:46 PM »
Thanks, Jean-Claude, for the note about the remasterings that were done for the Mystery Channel (I'm not sure that I've even heard of the Mystery Channel, so it's all news to me).

The DVD version has to look better than the tape I have, which came from a fan who taped it off a local syndicated airing about 15 or 20 years ago.

Hope I can find it at a good price!

G.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 09:49:59 PM »
The person behind the NG website is upset because Universal is using the remastered versions that were produced for the Mystery Channel, rather than creating a new set of remasters specifically for the DVD.  However, the site also includes a rave review of the quality of the episodes as they appeared on the Mystery Channel. 

Thanks for the info, Jean-Claude (...is it kosher for me to call ya that?  LOL)

I have the Mystery channel, and can validate that the quality of the Night Gallery episodes were excellent... quirky, intriguing series and some nice samples of creepy film noir pop up there once in a while. I also loved when they were airing The Avengers, but that's another subject altogether... ;)

Take care all,

Heather

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 10:06:33 PM »
Hey Heather, do you worship at the shrine of Mrs Peel?  I also have a thing for Honor Blackman.  Her very first episode, done live on film in 1962, "Mr. Teddy Bear,"  has to be one of the best things The Avengers ever produced.

I'm curious as to how many fans of DS are also fans of The Avengers.  Both shows really broke the mold of what television was supposed to do back then, and both featured very strong, even aggressive women characters.

G.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 10:29:17 PM »
Hi Gothick i too love Night Gallery i've watched many
a time.     Love Anne
  :-*
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 11:07:56 PM »
Hey Heather, do you worship at the shrine of Mrs Peel?

Absolutely, darling...   :-*  ;) She was sexy yet headstrong at the same time...like another lipstick thespian I adore (how 'bout those goofy play on words, huh?  LOL). ;)
[spoiler]In fact, whenever I see the epi. where Mrs. Peel's husband comes back (funny that he resembled Steed - chortle) and she leaves, I feel a tear run down my pale face....  :'([/spoiler]

I also have a thing for Honor Blackman.  Her very first episode, done live on film in 1962, "Mr. Teddy Bear,"  has to be one of the best things The Avengers ever produced.

That IS a good one! My sister and I love that show... it's not on the Mystery Channel right now (it was nice because they showed it 5 times a week, no commercials - I think), but it is on BBC America I believe, on Friday (one episode per week). By the way, Is Avengers on DVD? Might be something I'd consider purchasing one day in the oft-distant future...   :-

I'm curious as to how many fans of DS are also fans of The Avengers.  Both shows really broke the mold of what television was supposed to do back then, and both featured very strong, even aggressive women characters.

I'm curious too. Both have a great mix of characters and action; intriguing scenerios; stimulating...intellectually and otherwise.    :D

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 06:01:29 AM »
As of a few weeks ago, BBC America has been showing Avengers, Saint and Prisoner every Friday.  Eastern time at 8, 9, 10, repeating at 11, 12, 1 and again 3, 4, 5 that morning.  Although I've seen all the Avengers many times, it's been a while, so I'm watching.  I'm not as familiar with Saint and only saw Prisoner once, so I've been watching the full set.
Josette

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2004, 08:15:31 AM »
I got the NG set from a local Best Buy here today. It's my first time seeing the series (I've heard a lot of good things about it), and I've been liking it thus far. As for the picture quality, it's decent. It's not spectactular, but I've seen releases that have been far worse. The major problem with the imaging on this set is caused by white specks that tend to show up at varying points. Sometimes they appear several times in a short span of time, while in other cases you don't see any specks for a few minutes. They don't cause much irritation though, and after a short bit you just get used to them. The worst affected (from what I've viewed) has been the pilot movie with Joan Crawford.

I enjoyed seeing Grayson on one of the stories on the set. I haven't seen her act outside of DS before, so it was a treat.

By the way, Is Avengers on DVD? Might be something I'd consider purchasing one day in the oft-distant future...   :-
I think A&E has released most of the episodes in the US.