Author Topic: John Wells no longer interested in DS  (Read 2815 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
John Wells no longer interested in DS
« on: August 20, 2004, 09:34:51 PM »
Thought I would inform you all about a telephone call I received today from John Wells Productions. I had previously written a letter to his production urging him to continue their efforts in finding a home for the DS Pilot and any new DS project. In my faxed letter to them, I also informed JWP of what was said to us at the Fest that John Wells was still interested in Dark Shadows. I had no idea that an executive of JWP would call me as I had expected the letter to be immediately shredded. As I was in a state of shock, I did not catch his name and he also spoke so fast.( My caller ID did catch his direct phone number) But this is what he said. He thanked me for taking the time to write to JWP. He indicated that it was very unlikely that a network would ever pick up the pilot and said never say never but he sounded resigned to it never seeing the light of day. I asked him if his production company was still interested in pursuing a new Dark Shadows project. He said that they were not interested in another DS project. I then told him what was in my letter of what we were told at the Fest that a representative of DCP had stated that JW was still high on DS and that it was possible that DCP and John Wells would revisit DS in another DS project. He did not directly respond to my question and just said irregardless, that they are not interested in looking at another DS project. I politely asked him to reconsider its decision and he said something like not at this time.
I just hate to see us fans holding out for hope when there may not be any. Perhaps DCP should set the record straight. We deserve to know the truth IMO.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: John Wells no longer interested in DS
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 10:10:14 PM »
How interesting; thanks for sharing this.

I wonder whether what the guy meant is the only project they have the energy to pursue right now is the current pilot.  Perhaps the feeling in the office is that if no network wants that, they don't want to invest another 5 million (or whatever) in putting together something from scratch.

I would certainly understand if that proved to be the case.  On top of that, it may be that John Wells himself has put DS behind him and is working on new projects now.

G.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 10:26:02 PM »
Thanks.
I wish I had more time to talk with him but he was being "executivish" by kind of rushing me off the phone. In the context of the pilot he also said something like they tried their best with this pilot and that they also tried their best to get another network to pick it up.

Just as a point of clarification which generated my letter to JWP. Upon returning from the Fest with the excitement of another DS project, I called JWP several days ago to offer my support of DS. I was then told that the DS project was dead and that JWP wouldl not explore a new DS project. I then faxed a letter to John Wells asking for a clarification of what we were told at the Fest and what his employee had just told me. I also asked JW that it would be nice to have someone from his office contact me to state if he was still interested in a new DS project despite what his employee had told me. I did not expect anyone from his office to contact me nor did I expect to hear that they had closed the door on any new DS project.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 09:57:46 PM »
Thanks for the clarifications.

It sounds as if Pierson's comments were from the realm of make-believe.  Either that, or he simply did not want to create a scene by announcing at the Festival that the New DS was once again dead in the water.

Best,  Steve

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 10:39:31 PM »
But honestly....is anything ever really the last word from the entertainment industry?  Wasn't everyone talking about the pilot as tho it was a done deal....right up to the moment it was announced it wasn't going anywhere?

Perception is all in that industry.  No one wants to be left looking like the last person to know anything.  And studios and production companies will change their minds faster than an angel can dance on the head of a pin, if they think they can make money doing something  they just swore they had no intention of doing.

So maybe it's not going to be this pilot.  And maybe it's not going to happen with the involvement of John Wells and his production company.  Maybe something will spark the interest of someone at another production company.  And before you know it, we'll be reading that there's a bidding war going on for the rights, and someone at John Wells will be loosing his job because he "let such a hot property get away!"

Let's not forget that despite all the money and jobs this industry creates.....it's still all about "make believe".   ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 02:35:57 PM »
Oh well, I feel bad for the people who were looking forward to this but my opinion is that Dark Shadows would be best presented as a movie, at this point. I'm sure who was creating the new TV series had the best of intentions but I don't trust that television nowadays can honestly come up with a viable successor to the old show and do it justice. Not since X-files has there been anything remotely interesting on TV.
Maybe (as a movie) if the writing were fantastic with a complete understanding of the old series, the direction superb, photography excellent and casting the best..as in Johnny Depp as Barnabas, can I see Dark Shadows getting back on the map as the unique creation it was.

Offline Angelina

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 08:12:54 PM »
Maybe (as a movie) if the writing were fantastic with a complete understanding of the old series, the direction superb, photography excellent and casting the best..as in Johnny Depp as Barnabas, can I see Dark Shadows getting back on the map as the unique creation it was.

I do like the idea of Depp as Barnabas -- he's got the sort of unforced, purely natural (&  kind of quirky) sex appeal that I think a good Barn should have.  Frid was sexy without actually trying...that's important.   That's one of the things that bugged me about David Boreanas' Angel character (from Buffy Vamp slayer) -- he tried so hard to be hot and sexy and all broody/guilty that he got kind of annoying.

However, if they did do a movie (or series - whichever), I'd really prefer they do something other than the Barnabas tries to turn a modern girl into Josette storyline.  That bleedin' music box has been worked to death.

Could they possibly do a story that occurs maybe post-series or something?  The movie could open with a quick but clearly done re-cap of the basic stuff (ie, Willie finding Barn, Maggie's abduction, Julia's discovery etc) but then go into a new story.

Maybe it's best to stick to the original story but I'd love to see something fresh.  Alas, it appears the odds are that we'll see neither  :(

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 02:14:47 AM »
Maybe it's best to stick to the original story but I'd love to see something fresh.  Alas, it appears the odds are that we'll see neither

I understand where you're coming from. I suppose, as a viewer, I should keep an open mind. I'd love a "Vickie going back in time to 1795 movie witnessing poor Barnie become a vampire" ...but, with some good writing and imagination I'm sure anything is possible. As a Dark Shadows fan though, I would still want a gothic and stormy atmosphere for Dark Shadows and references to the past - as the Collins family is encompassed in its' history. Sound reasonable?

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 02:16:24 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications.

It sounds as if Pierson's comments were from the realm of make-believe.  Either that, or he simply did not want to create a scene by announcing at the Festival that the New DS was once again dead in the water.

Gothic I had some time now to digest what was said at the Fest and what we were told by John Wells Productions. After much thought I just don't think JP would intentionally try to mislead us. I think he told us what he knew at the time with a little spinning on his part and a belief that John Wells would still be interested in a new DS project. Someone else pointed out to me that perhaps JWP told me they were no longer interested in a new DS project  just to prevent fans from continuing to bombard its production company with calls and letters and that it was unlikely that they would have told me how they really feel about a future project with Dan Curtis. I would like to believe what Raineypark stated here about how fast things change in this industry. And you are also right in that it is doubtful that JP would have told us that DS was indeed dead in the water if that was true. But on the other hand maybe he has a stong belief or has some knowledge he can't disclose that something will happen. I got the impression that JP feels that DS will eventually wind up on the WB. To me that is doubtful but its a crazy business or perhaps a game of make believe or something else. I think if Dan Curtis calls John Wells with an idea for a new DS, I think JW will listen to him. That is what I hope will happen. The networks all know that the pilot was not shot well, but perhaps I think they do realize the vast potential DS can still bring to a network if done right. I tell you one thing, all of this is making my head spin. How about you? lol

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 08:10:03 AM »
Does anyone know if Dan Curtis is back from Canada and has finished filming "Our Fathers" yet?  Just wondering if he's had time yet/when he will have time to reflect on the rejected pilot and consider his next DS move.  (Patient?  Me?  LOL! ;))

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 06:31:07 PM »
I'm sure it's just me, but I have to throw in my "two drachmae" on the endless speculations about Johnny Depp as Barnabas... I personally do not think Depp would be at all good casting for the role.  Depp is a wonderful performer but I have yet to see work from him that would have a certain edge that I think this role (as originally written, at least) calls for.

I would like to see Alec Newman's performance in the role.  From the bit of work I saw in Dune, I do think he might have the gravitas (plus a soupcon of sexuality) to make it work.

For me, the leisurely story-telling of a serial is part of the magic of Dark Shadows.  The characterizations and the way in which the emotions of the people are revealed in the most improbable situations are often central to what I regarded as the best moments of the series.  So, to me, a feature film is a less than ideal way to experience DS.

but then I'm really not all that thrilled about a remake.  At this point, I have an interest in it purely because new product is probably the only thing that will make Warners shell out the money (pocket change to them, folks--let's get real, if they toss away 5 million on a pilot?) for the restoration of Night of Dark Shadows.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 06:44:26 PM »
I do have to add a PS that in my not-so-humble opinion, Depp would be great casting for Quentin.  He has a lot of qualities that would shine in that role.

G.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 06:24:53 AM »
I do have to add a PS that in my not-so-humble opinion, Depp would be great casting for Quentin.  He has a lot of qualities that would shine in that role.

he would shine for me in any role :-*

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 03:31:32 PM »
Quote from: Gothick
]I'm sure it's just me, but I have to throw in my "two drachmae" on the endless speculations about Johnny Depp as Barnabas...

Totally respect your opinion and since I've never seen Quentin in action can't say anything about him. The reason why I feel Johnny Depp would be good as Barnabas 1) physical resemblence - dark brooding eyes, dark hair, high cheekbones and sexy appearance 2) the acting talent of JD and the fact he has been a fan of the original series and of Johnathan Frid, the fact that he is also an experimental actor not afraid to take chances and to take on difficult and challenging roles and not neccessarily popular or guaranteed success parts, either. The fact that he might be able to reach some of the raw emotions of guilt, remorse and evil that made JF/Barnabas so interesting. The fact he seems to have a good understanding at both modern and historical parts and wouldn't treat Barnabas as a California surf-board baby. He might actually act as someone born and raised in 1795 and find it challenging to do so.....I could go on. But I, for one, would love to see him play Barnie.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 11:08:01 AM »
Maybe cable might be interested in Dark Shadows.  Some of the most interesting shows out there are on cable rather than network TV.  The networks seem to be interested in only 'cookie-cutter' type programming IMO.

Peirson stated a few times during the Fest that the depth and devotion of the Dark Shadows fan base is well understood by the TPTB. I got the impresion from what he was saying that it would take a lucky break for the new DS to become a reality.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf