Author Topic: Slowly I Turn...  (Read 807 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Slowly I Turn...
« on: August 05, 2015, 04:18:32 AM »
Okay, for DSL where I live, there is ONLY Windstream.

When I was doing college, I had purchased Office 2010, which was for 3 computers.

When I got my first laptop, I called & they were able to help me install it on here.

Recently, I had to (I forget, but Office went away).

I called, I was on phone for more than two hours. The rep said, just let it run. (They had done the thing where they were 'in charge' of my computer.)

That didn't work.

Started my job, finally called again. Again, more than two hours on phone, with them in my computer. It would go like this:

3 hrs., 24 min remain
7 hrs.,  9 min remain
two days, 3 hrs., 12 minutes
9 hrs.....

You get the gist. And this was all within a mere 1-2 minutes. The rep said let it run. I would look at it, and finally at some point, it actually was legit counting down. I looked, and there were mere seconds. So, I got my computer, and there was an error message.

Both times, the reps have said it's because the service is too slow.

On my FB, I belong to a group within my county, who is really getting screwed over. The worst is the county seat; they'll list where they wouldn't have PHONE SERVICE for hours, yet alone internet.

The latest rep had tried to see if, using my PC,  could copy the disk which came w/Office 2010 onto a USB (it kept popping out; I guess to protect itself from fraud...) Plus, the first and second times, I never needed a disk (my laptop doesn't have a disc insert).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really need Office.

Now, when I came on this evening, there was a message that I can upgrade to Win 10 (it says it the full deal, no trial, etc). But, I'm wondering, if I can't even install something like Office (which, I have PP, Excel, and Word), how can my whole system upgrade.

Help

Patti

What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Slowly I Turn...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 08:24:24 PM »
Wow, Patti, reading all this just blew my mind.  What's wrong with technology today?  I mean, really?  It's suppose to make life "easier," but it's all so "user-unfriendly."  I had to have my phone system upgraded (ATT) because it was old and wouldn't support how "techno-advanced" it now is.  Okay, so I did.  A guy had to come and put in new wiring for my phone (land-line; I'm one of those single-digit people who doesn't have a cellphone and won't get one) and internet.  He was done in a half-hour.  The good thing was that my monthly bill was decreased by 40% and I got more "features," such as having automatic voice-mail instead of using an answering machine (some of you under 30 might not know what those are).  Fine.  I had to spend an hour on my phone "programming" it by pushing these numbers and the pound sign; those numbers and the star sign.  Okay, fine again.  One thing it did was automatically set my phone to go to voice-mail after four rings.  That wasn't enough - I needed more.  But there was nothing on the on-phone instructions to tell me how to change it.  I went on-line but found nothing on ATT on how to change it.  I called ATT.  I spent four hours with "representatives" (including being disconnected) trying to get it changed.  After the last disconnection, I - now totally frustrated and enraged - went back on-line and googled "how to change the number of rings before ATT voice-mail responds."  I found a totally different site, not connected with ATT, on how to do it.  Boom, done.  It's website can't tell you; it's phone directions can't tell you; its representatives can't tell.  A non-ATT website could. 

I understand your frustration, Patti, with all this "technology."  Try what I did by "going around" the "experts" of your phone service and Windows to see how to download your Windows service properly.  It couldn't hurt and you just might find an easy, non-geek way of doing it.  Just google "how do I..."

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 03:58:28 AM »
I started the upgrade to Win 10 about 4 hours before I left for work.
It stated it was about 11% done.
I made sure to put 'never' to sleep/standby, etc.
Came home; error message.
When I was at work, I saw I had five bars of service.
I may bring my laptop next weekend & ask the guy to try putting Office 2010 & Win 10 on.

Oh, BTW, when I saw the error msg, I went on to the FB page with 'phone/DSL' """"service""""".

The rep said, oh, it would be better if I attach my LAPTOP to my modem.

I replied, "Get a calendar", everyone everywhere is WIRELESS.

G....I don't want to get rid of my home phone. What I need to do though is get at least one CORDED phone; the batteries on cordless tend to die at inopportune times.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 10:37:16 PM »
I'm not wireless.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor