Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0948  (Read 481 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0948
« on: July 18, 2015, 06:14:08 PM »
Robservations #948

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0948

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 07:09:24 PM »
Nancy VO.  KLS was good in the seance for Josette, and in her goodbye to Barnabas at the grave.  Interesting awkward moment between Phillip and Maggie alone in the antique shop after Jeb leaves, both disloyal to the Leviathans, but neither feeling free to say so.

Jeb's theme song should be "I Want You To Want Me".  Carolyn should pick up on the total self-absorption, but her bad boy lust has been turned on I guess. 

Barnabas again gets someone else to take the risks, Phillip this time.  He tries to steal the Box, but Jeb catches him... end.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 02:05:12 PM »
Jeb says hello to his new pet: I’m glad to see you, bat of hell. You’re going to be meeting Barnabas Collins very soon, I promise you.

Totally unaware that Jeb has already started to work his revenge, Barnabas tells Julia that he and Jeb have reconciled.

In one of the last séances on the show, Barnabas, Julia, and Maggie call up the spirit of Josette. KLS does really shine here and in her last farewell scene with Barnabas.

After the séance, Barnabas realizes that they have to destroy the Leviathan box so that he, Julia, and Maggie will know who their enemies are. Jeb won’t let you get near the box, Julia warns. I must think of a way to get it, Barnabas replies. [A fly briefly lights on his shoulder but offers no advice.]

Carolyn breezes in, and Barn watches in dismay as she phones Jeb and arranges to have him come to Collinwood to pick her up for their missed date.

Maggie hurries to the antique shop and tells Jeb that she couldn't find out anything. Jeb is beginning to wonder if he can trust her, but Philip steps out of the back room and pointedly reminds Jeb that Carolyn is waiting. After Jeb leaves, Maggie tells Philip, Barnabas wants to meet you--and you’re not to tell Jeb. Not to tell Jeb? Why? Philip asks. Maggie simply looks at him without replying. Never mind, because you don’t have to tell me, Philip says. I understand completely.

At Eagle Hill, Barnabas tells Philip about his conversation with Jeb. Philip tells Barn about his conversation with Jeb and reveals that he's supposed to watch Barnabas to see if he's still loyal. Barnabas says, Now you know, and you can go tell Jeb how I’ve plotted against him. But Philip already hates Jeb for murdering the sheriff and Paul Stoddard and for what he's done to Megan. So it's not too hard for Barnabas to persuade him to get the box from Jeb's Room.

Jeb arrives early for his date, telling Carolyn, I couldn’t wait to see you. I’ve been thinking about you a lot too, she replies. Jeb knows exactly how she feels about him, but Pennock misses a cue here and says he’s working on it. I care about you, she says, but naturally that isn’t enough for Jeb. He says, Caring is for distant cousins and elderly aunts. How do you want me to feel about you? Carolyn asks. [Well, after all it was 1970!] I want you to love me and want me and need me, he tells her. Can you do that? I will try, she whispers, so her kisses her passionately. [Since he’s wearing a green sweater, like Adam’s, perhaps this means they were destined to become romantically involved.]

Barnabas stands at Josette’s grave, which bears the dates 1774-1795. All are ready to move against the Leviathans, he thinks to himself, all except me, because of my fears for Josette. For the last time, the music-box theme starts up. Barnabas calls out her name. She answers again, It is I, and I will tell you what you must know. Josette appears to him at her loveliest, in her white wedding gown and veil, with a white shawl over her arm. She is calm and at peace. She tells him, Now and forever... You asked me if the Leviathan held me prisoner. They do not. But you hold me just as I hold you with my love. Now the time has come for both of us to go free. I can’t be free without you! Barnabas pleads. But you must! she answers gently. I belong to the past. For you there is a future--with someone else. But I don’t want anyone else, Barnabas protests. Josette says sadly, Then you must be lonely--for you cannot have me. Seeking to comfort him, she continues, You will find someone else--I know it. When you do, give her this, the ring that you gave to me. Give to her, whoever she may be. She holds out her hand with the ring, and he reluctantly takes it. Josette slowly starts to fade from his sight for the last time as she says, This ring is a sign of your freedom--and of mine. Barnabas reaches out to her, but his hand touches only empty air. Josette! he cries desolately. You can’t go! You can’t go now! It is too cruel! But the thunder roars and the lightning flashes as he stands alone by her grave, holding the ring and thinking about her final words to him.

Carolyn tells Jeb about the dream she had of him at Little Windward Island. I was frightened, she says--you seem frightened too. I’m not frightened, he insists, just upset that you would think such a thing of me--blood on my hands. Carolyn presses his hand to her cheek as she tells him, I didn’t meant to see you that way. I didn’t cause the dream. Of course not, he laughs and holds her again. The clock chimes the quarter hour and Jeb notes the time. I told a friend of mine that we would meet him at the Blue Whale, he says. Naturally expecting a tête-à-tête, Carolyn is upset at Jeb’s inclusion of a third wheel. He’s sharp, you’ll like him, Jeb persists in his clueless Leviathan way. At that moment Barnabas returns. Are you off somewhere? he asks hopefully. Jeb says yes, but Carolyn nervously says she isn’t. I told Bruno we would meet at the Blue Whale, Jeb protests. I don’t want to meet someone new, Carolyn says. Jeb calls it ridiculous. Ridiculous, nothing! Carolyn says, getting angry. That is the way I feel about it, she tells him and runs upstairs. Jeb calls up to her but she ignores him, so he leaves without looking at Barnabas. Barnabas phones Philip. Jeb will be at the Blue Whale, he says. You can get the box now.

Quietly Philip enters Jeb’s room and turns on a light on a little table. The room is otherwise empty except for a large wardrobe. The presence of the wardrobe brings up an interesting question: Does Jeb own only the clothes he stands up in? Or does he keep them somewhere else? But why? And where? Or are his clothes an organic part of his human form? In any event, the wardrobe is likewise empty--except for the Leviathan box, sitting on the shelf. Philip takes it and leaves the room. He comes downstairs to the darkened shop. Suddenly the lights come up and Jeb is standing there. Going somewhere, Philip? he asks quietly. Isn’t it a bit too late?........