Author Topic: '04 Series  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
'04 Series
« on: August 17, 2004, 01:52:10 AM »
At the 'weekend' gatherering, did anyone mention to the original series actors about WBs filming and not picking up another version of DS?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: '04 Series
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 03:34:53 PM »
Ooo, I was just gonna ask that too!  Was there any discussion about the WB '04 series?

Gerard

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Memories of the Dark Shadows Weekend
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 03:44:20 PM »
  Pierson talked about the chances of the pilot being picked up by another network as being slim to non-existent.

But I don't think he meant that to seem as though there was no chance of another DS being made.....

My take on it was that because of the sudden and late switch from the original director to the one who actually DID the pilot, the pilot they got was not the pilot that was expected.  He was, in my opinion, still positive about the possibility of another DS some day because "no one needs convincing that there is a core audience for this show."

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I came away with the impression that despite the WB's desire to move into more family-oriented shows, if they'd gotten the pilot they were  hoping for, room would have been found on the schedule.

Purely from the "look" of the pilot, I would have tuned in.  It had the intense color saturation that reminded me of Coppola's "Dracula".  Purists might have hated it because many of us loved the black and white episodes the best...but I believe this DS would have been visually stunning.

So I'm going to remain hopeful that somone, at some point, will take another chance at getting a new DS pilot made.  After all, people have been in love with Vampires since Lugosi had them swooning in the aisles in the early 30's.  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Memories of the Dark Shadows Weekend
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 09:25:35 PM »
Purely from the "look" of the pilot, I would have tuned in.  It had the intense color saturation that reminded me of Coppola's "Dracula".  Purists might have hated it because many of us loved the black and white episodes the best...but I believe this DS would have been visually stunning.

I loved everything that was included in the WB pilot's "Sneak Preview" - and now that I've seen what we're going to be missing out on, I'm extremely upset that it appears as if there's no chance that this pilot will ever evolve into a series - at least not in its present form. The look of the show was amazing. I was particularly impressed/pleased with Alec Newman, Marley Shelton and Alexander Gould. (Unfortunately, some of the other actors weren't reprented in the clips or had too little to really get a feel for their characters.) And the scenes in which Barnabas arrived at Collinwood, Vicki assured David he wasn't about to get rid of her, Barnabas couldn't bring himself to attack Vicki, and David "released" Angelique were all extremely well done and exciting to watch. Knowing that all the wonderful work that went into the making of the pilot may have all been for naught is enough to make a grown man cry.  :'(

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 04:55:47 PM »
It sounds as if no scenes featuring the character of Julia were shown.

I'm curious as to what approach the actress (can't recall her name offhand) took to the role.  I have not scene any photos of her in character, either.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 06:06:08 PM »
It sounds as if no scenes featuring the character of Julia were shown.

Unfortunately, no.  We only saw a still of her during the credits at the end of the preview.  She was dressed conservatively (very unlike how we're used to seeing her) with hair tied back.

I'm curious as to what approach the actress (can't recall her name offhand) took to the role.  I have not scene any photos of her in character, either.

Same here.  There's a b&w photo of Hulia in the newest ShadowGram, if you can get your hands on one.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 07:01:33 PM »
...I'm curious as to what approach the actress (can't recall her name offhand) took to the role.

The actresses name is Kelly Hu.  She is best known for her role as Lady Death Strike in X-men 2.  Basically, she was the female version of Wolverine.  There is still a trailer available to see her flying around with her long finger nails here.

Offline Misa

• Full Poster
  • Is that you, Mr. Juggins?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 10:24:08 PM »
I certainly hope they consider releasing the pilot on DVD. Even in its unfinished form I would love to see it. I really want to see it for myself, I am so curious about it and really would love to see it even if it is awful. I'm sure from what I've read of others views of the scenes from the pilot that there must be some fantastic parts to see.

Misa

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 12:31:38 AM »
That was an odd still for Julia, as I don't believe she wears that outfit in the pilot. She's in a lab coat in one scene, and her other outfit is unremarkable, as I remember...

They COULD release it on DVD, but they would have to remove and replace the temp music. I hope it does get out in some form...

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 12:34:35 AM »
Does anyone know where the DS theme they used at the end came from?  I had never heard it before.  I don't believe it was used on any cds that have been released.
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 12:57:57 AM »
I certainly hope they consider releasing the pilot on DVD. Even in its unfinished form I would love to see it.

I'd love to see that happen myself.

But I have a feeling that it's extremely unlikely.  I suspect that it's not a good idea to have a rejected pilot floating around .....especially if what they really want is a successful pilot that gets picked up and becomes the 3rd generation DS. ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 01:55:43 AM »
OK - I know it's not nice to gloat, BUT I have to admit that I've derived some satisfaction from the fact that the two shows the WB picked over DS are both struggling in the ratings. Interestingly, the WB has already picked up "Jack and Bobby" for a full season because they feel "it's a beautifully written, sophisticated show with superb performances by an elegant cast," however, "the pickup comes despite the fact that the series has drawn fairly lackluster overall ratings thus far" and "through three episodes, the show is drawing only about 3.7 million viewers per week, losing 1.5 million people from its lead-in, 'Charmed.'" And as far as "The Mountain" goes, last week it "didn't reach such great heights at No. 85 with a 2.6/4" rating.

Of course, nothing says that a WB DS would be doing any better. But, obviously, we'll never know...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004, 04:29:16 AM »
OK - I know it's not nice to gloat

Oh, to Hell with "nice"!! Gloat all you want!!  >:(

Interestingly, the WB has already picked up "Jack and Bobby" for a full season because they feel "it's a beautifully written, sophisticated show with superb performances by an elegant cast,"

Not to mention that they didn't keep a certain pilot/project in reserve for use as a mid-season replacement for a poor performing series...leaving them no other choice BUT to pick up "Jack and Bobby"..... >:(
Dylan Thomas

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2004, 06:37:48 AM »
Quote from: CrazyJenny
Does anyone know where the DS theme they used at the end came from?  I had never heard it before.  I don't believe it was used on any cds that have been released.

At the end of what?
Where?
When?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 01:12:41 AM »
OK - I know it's not nice to gloat, BUT I have to admit that I've derived some satisfaction from the fact that the two shows the WB picked over DS are both struggling in the ratings.

I'm gloating, MB!  Let's all be naughty and gloat!  To WB:  nyeah, nyeah, nyeah, nyeah, nyeah, nyeah!

I haven't seen either of the two new shows and have no interest in either one of them.

Gerard (Who Likes Being Naughty)