Author Topic: Memories of the Dark Shadows Weekend  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Memories of the Dark Shadows Weekend
« on: August 17, 2004, 12:56:46 AM »
I thought I'd get this out there before I have another Senior moment and forget half of it. ::)

I had a great time!  It was much more organized that usual (probably because more volunteers this year or so it appeared). I went with the group to Lyndhurst on Friday.  The tour guide said that at least 100 people from DS went through the tour). As a matter of fact, I loved it so much, went back the next day with a friend who arrived on Saturday!  Met some nice, friendly people who were at their first fest and the abundance of enthusiasm was a joy to behold!  The guided tour itself didn't extend out side of the house so we were on our own to bumble around and find all the little things that matter to a Dark Shadows fan.

We found the pool house finally after much worry and discussion that it had or might have been torn down. It was surrounded with barbed wire. Couldn't see much inside except for an odd display of baskets! I believe that there may be plans for a restoration in the works for the pool house.

What a thrill to be looking in on the dining room where the family and friends had gathered following Carolyn's funeral. We visited the art gallery where the works of art hung and picked out the spot where Angelique's portrait had been. This same room had the huge window where I can picture Daphne looking out right now and realizing that her beloved husband wants her dead.

Lyndhurst, aside from the Dark Shadows reference, is a sight not to be missed. The tour guide told us that they decorate big time for Halloween and Christmas.  The surrounding estate is gorgeous with huge maple, oak and chestnut trees and gently sloping lands. We actually went into Rose Cottage (the door was left open as if awaiting our arrival) and observed child size wicker furniture that looked from the Victorian era.  It is probably reproduction but nice to see anyway. Unfortunately the tower in Lyndhurst was off-limits to visitors (something about fire escape rules).

I think I found the tree where Angelique had been hung!  We took pictures in the back of the house standing in hopefully the same spot where Grayson had stood 33 years earlier when her picture was taken there.  A picture that graces the front cover of this year's program.

Back at the hotel Darren Gross took us through about 27 minutes of the 35 minutes of missing footage from NODS. He talked about the strong possibility of the longer version of HODS being found in Asia.  We're not to hold our breaths waiting for acquisition of the tape but that it seemed like a good possibility over time that it would find it's way back to the US.

I was fortunate to have Denise Nickerson at the same table as I for the Sunday banquet.  Wow! She is definitely a lot of fun and very sociable. I might add that she was very patient with us and answered all the questions that we asked.

The Dark Shadows actors presented The House written by Art Wallace in 1957 and shown on TV. It was very much a prelude to Dark Shadows.  I thought that Karlen and Marie Wallace were exceptionally strong of voice and emotion during their parts. Karen took the Jason part and his Irish brogue was top-notch!

We roared with laughter over some of the fan videos and in particular several from Cheep Productions-1996. We understand that there is a good chance of another one being produced in time for next year's fest.

There was quite an upset when John Karlen leaned back in a chair and fell off the stage!  He's okay and although a little sore this a.m., apparently is not seriously injured.  Thank God!

Lara Parker is finishing up her novel and hopes to be published by November.  Marie Wallace is also finishing up a book right now too.  She is such a classy lady!

Another thing that I've noticed is the dwindling down of the amount of merchandise available in the dealer's room this year.  MPI was out of several items I was interested in purchasing for myself.  I had orders from other's who couldn't make the fest  but MPI didn't have the merchandise to fill their requests either.

We were never able to get a straight answer as to whether or not there would even be a fest next year.  Several people I talked with are worried as I am that this might have been the real final one.

Again, I had a great time. I'm really looking forward to hearing about it from all those who attended and what they thought about it.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Memories of the Dark Shadows Weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 01:45:48 AM »
i too noticed the small number of vendors/merch this year.last year was my first fest but there was at least twice as many vendors.
miss winthrop,go to the calender/events part of the site to see pictures and read more comments.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 04:57:59 AM »
Thank you so much for the account - it's always so interesting to get a feel for what went on.
Josette

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 10:09:48 AM »
We were never able to get a straight answer as to whether or not there would even be a fest next year.  Several people I talked with are worried as I am that this might have been the real final one.

True, they never did give us a straight answer on that.  Wonder what they're up to.  I did think that things sounded a little more positive about it at the banquet, though.  Kathryn Leigh Scott said that they were open to suggestions about where to have it next year (suuuuurrre they are -- ha!), and that they definitely should have a 40th anniversary get-together in two years in New York.  So I would doubt if this will be the last one.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 01:39:16 PM »
One person I talked to said that she had heard about the possibility of a cruise for DS.  That sounds nice but unfortunately the expense of that would probably eliminate a lot of people because of finances.  It might be hard to get the stars to stay put on a boat for three days.

Why can't we go back to LA next year?  There is plenty to see and do.  As far as NY goes, I personally enjoyed Lyndhurst and if I had done my research, would definitely have rented a car and gone up the Hudson River visiting the Rockefeller, Roosevelt and Sleepy Hollow estates and might even have added a day or two to the trip.

I know several people who left by car on Mon. to visit the Tarrytown cemetary where I presume they did some of the filming for both movies and to visit Seaview.  Seaview I understand is 2 1/2 hrs. away and definitely doable on a weekend.

Thanks Mscbryk, I will go over to calendar/events to see pictures and more comments on the Fest.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 02:22:30 PM »
Apparently I've run out of time to add some more comments to my post just above this.  ???

The original music box from the 1991 series was auctioned off for $800 with the money going to Alzheimer's Research.  There was also a director's type chair used in the 1991 series used by the 'Script'(?) person that went for $200.

Denise Nickerson was Jim Pierson's helper at the auction.  She was really enthusiastic in that role and managed to keep the bids going on some of the items.

Some other items of note from the audtion were Michael Stroka's reading glasses, personal photos from Jonathan Frid's collection including programs from his various stage performances.

Jim Pierson presented a 10(?) minute clip from the the proposed pilot of DS for The WB.  The actors who portrayed Barnabas and David were quite good.  It was a little jarring to see Victoria Winter's as a blonde with a pixie haircut.  Pierson talked about the chances of the pilot being picked up by another network as being slim to non-existent.  I liked the little bit I saw of it. There is no way that the show wouldn't be a hit with the younger audience based on the cast that they had chosen. Unless they only showed us the best part of the 40 minutes filmed and based on what I did see, The WB must have been asleep at the showing of the pilot.  Several scenes with David were really good because they gave a sense that this wasn't going to be the DS as we knew it from the past. The idea for David is good IMO.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 09:50:31 PM »
The original music box from the 1991 series was auctioned off for $800 with the money going to Alzheimer's Research.  

Congratulations, Midnite!  ;D

ProfStokes

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 03:00:16 AM »
Congratulations, Midnite!  ;D

Thanks!!!  Couldn't have done it without Nicky.  :D

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 08:05:15 PM »
Thanks for the interesting detailed account Miss_Winthrop.  It was very nice meeting you on the Friday the 13th Bus to Lyndhurst - and what an appropriate day to go there dontcha think?  ;D
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 01:26:26 AM »
Yes it was nice to meet you Castlebee. ;D  Lyndhurst was very humid on Friday but by Saturday it was a lot cooler in the house.  Did you catch the little sink where some little girl probably washed the dishes for the Gouldings?  The guide explained to us that often times, young children would start in the position of dish washer and work there way up to better jobs on the estate as they grew older. I must say that the Butler had a nice little suite of rooms.  He had a bedroom, private bath and one other room that I can't recall the name of.

Did you catch the marble statue of Helen and Anna in the girl's bedroom? It seems kind of creepy to have it there. Perhaps it is only being stored there temporarily and was never a permanent fixture.

Midnite: I did see you and speak to you briefly about your fine auction win. Congratulations!
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 01:51:09 AM »
Midnite: I did see you and speak to you briefly about your fine auction win. Congratulations!

Cool, and thank you!  I meant to tell you that I enjoyed your writeup.

I wish I could've visited longer with CastleBee.  :(  I did get to meet Darren, LdyAnne, BuzzH, Charles Ellis, JamesLady, Renee, and darkshadowsweb in addition to meeting Cassandra, ClaudeNorth, Connie and darkshadowsrick.  I spotted CyrusL a few times but he always seemed to be dashing somewhere.  And of course I met up with lots of old friends.  :)

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 03:07:23 AM »
Thank You Midnite for sharing such wonderful memories... I do wonder if any mention was made weather a Dark Shadows fest will be held in California next year?  I do hope so.    :D

The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 03:44:38 AM »
The Festival/Weekend was a great opportunity to unwind and spend time with friends.  I was especially delighted to finally meet Gothick, dom, LdyAnne, CastleBee, Darren Gross, ClaudeNorth, Nancy, mscbryk, Cassandra's mother, and CrazyJenny's fiance.  8)  However, I missed Raineypark, Joeytrom, Miss_Winthrop, and CyrusL; for that I'm sorry.  :'(  Tonight, I'm going to start writing my report of the weekend events (Hi, Connie) and I expect it will be finished by the weekend.

Ghost of Sarah, the status of next year's Fest is a mystery.  No location was announced.  Kathryn Leigh Scott only said that Jim Pierson is "open to doing something next year" (Festival 2006 will definitely be in NY) and Jim himself said to give him suggestions for where to hold an event.  From my table in the back of the ballroom, I was yelling "California!"  ;)

ProfStokes

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2004, 04:16:59 AM »
I spotted CyrusL a few times but he always seemed to be dashing somewhere. 
      I apologize for not properly introducing myself to the other board members, but I wasn't sure who was who in many cases. I did get to meet Darren who really does know the films inside out, and clarified some pretty obscure points on the film for me.I'm a big supporter of restoring the film and his efforts. Now, next year, since I've seen people's fest pics, I should be able to identify some of you more easily. Bobubas is probably the person I know best since we were roomies back at the '98 Fest in Las Vegas. That was the year I met my permanent roomie, now my wife, who attends each fest with me since.   ;D
      I had a great time this year, especially since Diane and I got to sit at KLS's table for the dinner. I also appreciated the autograph lines going much smoother, and overall, the program running better. The Collinsport Players are always a highlight. The actors seemed to be in good spirits too. (Some years a few of them have looked a little tired, but this year most were practically chipper!) The film clip compilation was very good, except they might have noted some material was perhaps suggested for mature audiences, some people do bring their kids.  (Especially the hilarious Robert Rodan trailer for "The Minx.")Smaller is better sometimes, but I missed some of the other "regulars", Chris Pennock especially.
I was also surprised MPI didn't give any discounts on the DS DVDs. I planned to get some but decided I could get them cheaper elsewhere.
     By the way, Diane and I went to Boston/Salem after the fest ( were are still there actually, as of this post, leaving tomorrow), and I want to say what a great time we had in Salem too! Every DS fan needs to go there at least once, but like us, you'll want to go again! Maybe DS could hold future festival weekends at Boston or Newport, both have nice Marriotts. I would even say the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem would be a great spot. I also submit Portland, why not have a DS festival weekend in Maine? And I know a lot of people who would enjoy a show in New Orleans! The only drawbacks would be that with the possible exception of Portland, the weather. But then again, this summer has been exceptionally rainy and humid on the east coast line. (Salem was great in spite of feeling like a lobster in a steam kettle yesterday.)
    Too late to write any more, I have a long drive home.

Dreaming of next year,
     Michael,
                Your Cousin from Virginia
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul