Author Topic: #0117/0118: Robservations 08/10/01: They Search For Vicki  (Read 1315 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0117/0118: Robservations 08/10/01: They Search For Vicki
« on: August 09, 2001, 07:16:07 PM »
Episode #117 - Months ago, I came to Collinwood to begin a new life, only to find I may die here. I'm held captive in a secret room in a deserted old house, and the inhabitants of Collinwood have only begun to suspect I'm missing.

Liz paces the drawing room. The clock strikes. Sarah joins her and tells her Carolyn's car is gone. Then perhaps she did drive to Bangor with Vicki, says Liz. I think it's entirely possible, says Sarah. Why didn't Carolyn tell me she was going to do that? asks Liz, annoyed, Bangor is a long way off! Maybe she was just going to give her lift into town, suggests Sarah, then decided to take her all the way--seeing Liz; worried face, she says, "I'm sure that's the way it happened." I'm not so sure, says Liz, I wish I could get in touch with Joe Haskell, Carolyn must be with him. Oh but if Carolyn was on a date, her car would be there, says Sarah, the young man would have picked her up . That's true, says Liz, I don't remember a time when Joe hasn't called for her. Well, there you are, soothes Sarah. It does seem logical that the girls are together, says Liz, but somehow, I can't get over that strange feeling I have about Vicki--that she's in some kind of trouble. Why would you think that? asks Sarah. I don't know, frets Liz, but ever since she's come here, she's gotten into trouble--she seems to court disaster. Disaster? Says Sarah. I know it sounds melodramatic, says Liz, but I think something is very wrong.
Sarah contemplates what Liz has said.

I'm sure you're imagining things, says Sarah, I'm sure Vicki and Carolyn are together, and both fine. Maybe my imagination is overactive, says Liz, but I started getting nervous when I saw this picture in the paper of Matthew. Sarah takes the newspaper and looks at it--it's a frightening picture, all right, she says. It brought back that horrible night when he tried to kill Vicki, says Liz, and now that she hasn't arrived in Bangor... You just put two and two together and connected them, says Sarah. Yes, says Liz, I guess it's a wild stretch of the imagination, the sheriff said Matthew was miles and miles away from here. He wouldn't be coming back to Collinsport, says Sarah, everybody in town knows him. I know, says Liz. There's a knock at the door. Liz tells Sarah she isn't expecting someone. The housekeeper answers the door. It's Joe. Liz looks at him, puzzled. My landlady told me you called, says Joe, she said it was urgent. Isn't Carolyn with you? she asks. No, he says, why? I thought she had a date with you, says Liz. I haven't seen or talked to Carolyn in over a week, he says. Then I guess Vicki and Carolyn must be together, concludes Liz--both girls seem to have disappeared.
I'm sorry I can't help, says Joe--I'm probably the last person in the world who'd know where Carolyn could be.

Burke is sliding Carolyn's coat off her shoulders. It was a wonderful evening, she tells him, smiling with pleasure. It's not over yet, he says. They both agree they don't want it to be over. He offers her a nightcap. Are you sure I'm allowed? She asks--you're not going to ask me for my ID card? Not this time, he says, this time you pass muster. I'm glad you're not treating me like a little girl anymore. I never thought of you as a little girl, he assures her, definitely not. How do you think of me? she asks. As a very beautiful, desirable young woman, he says--how does that sound? That'll do fine, she says. What will you have to drink? he asks. Whatever you're having, she says. I think we ought to have something special for the occasion, says Burke--I'm fresh out of champagne--how does brandy sound? Perfect, she says. He hands her a snifter and toasts to "Us--and many happy times ahead." She drinks and asks if there will be more happy times. If I have anything to say about it, he says. You do, she assures him. Why don't we sit down and relax, he suggests, not stand on ceremony. All right, she agrees. She takes another big sip, then bursts into laughter. What's so funny? he asks. I was thinking of the expression on Mother's face if she could see me now, says Carolyn, Uncle Roger, too, they would absolutely die! Think of it, says Burke--their little girl, alone in a man's apartment. Especially your apartment, says Carolyn--Uncle Roger would have a fit, not to mention Mother. What did they says when you told them the princess was having dinner with the big bad wolf? asks Burke. They didn't say anything--I didn't tell them where I was going, she says. You eluded the castle guard, that's quite a feat, says Burke. Uncle Roger was out for the evening, she explains, and mother was much too involved in business to pay attention to me. What was she doing, trying to raise money, asks Burke. Going over ledgers of some dull thing, says Carolyn--I don't really understand very much about it--I just know she probably won't notice I'm gone. What if she does? he asks with a grin. I'll tell her I had dinner with a friend, says Carolyn. I hope I fit into that category, says Burke. I'll have to say it was a girlfriend, says Carolyn, I'll tell them I was out with Janet Fisher, they'll never bother to check. I don't feel much like Janet fisher, he says. I'm glad you're not, she says. So am I, says Burke. I hate to lie to Mother and Uncle Roger, she says, but I'm tired of listening to them scream at me--there's no reason why they should know I'm with you--unless you tell them. Burke picks up her hand and presses her fingers over his lips. My lips are sealed, he assures her--it's our secret, huh? Good, she says. Did you tell Vicki about our date? he asks. No, why? she asks. I didn't want word to get back to the guardians of the castle. I didn't say a word to Vicki, says Carolyn, but then, she wasn't interested--she was much too busy making her own plans--big plans for this weekend--she's spending the whole weekend with her new boyfriend. I didn't know Vicki had a boyfriend, says Burke. Very definitely, laughs Carolyn, his name is Frank Garner--Vicki met him in Bangor. So did I, briefly, says Burke, but I thought he was helping her find out more about her past, I didn't know there was a personal interest between them. Vicki seemed very interested, says Carolyn--I haven't seen Frank in years, but Vicki tells me he's terribly handsome. Does she? asks Burke,. draining his glass. I'm glad Vicki's met someone she's interested in, says Carolyn, it's nice for her. Sure, says Burke unconvincingly, it's good for her--can I freshen your drink? I still have plenty, she assures him. In think I'll freshen mine, says Burke, and does so. It bothers you, doesn't it? asks Carolyn--hearing about Vicki and Frank--knowing she's spending the weekend with him in Bangor. Of course it doesn't bother me, says Burke, it doesn't concern me in the least--why should it? That's what I'm wondering, she says, looking at him archly.

Are you serious? asks Burke--do you really think there's something going on between Miss Goody Two shoes and me? Carolyn laughs--is that how you think of Vicki? she asks. I think of Vicki as a very nice little girl, he says. She's older than I am, says Carolyn. In years, maybe, says Burke, not in other ways. She smiles. I can understand how any man would be attracted to Vicki, says Carolyn, playing with her hair--she's a very pretty girl. She hasn't cornered the beauty market, says Burke, there are many pretty girls in the vicinity--in the immediate vicinity. He looks at her face. Are you sure you don't like Vicki more than you pretend? Asks Carolyn. Sure I like her, says Burke, I like her very much--but if anybody's going to get jealous, I should be the one--with all those suitors knocking at your door. What suitors? She asks. The name Joe Haskell comes to mind, says Burke. I haven't seen him in weeks, says Carolyn, and last time I did, he was impossible and rude. I heard you were practically engaged, at one time, says Burke. I was, she admits, but... But what? he asks. Nothing, she replies--do you mind if I don't talk about Joe? Not at all, he says, let's forget about boyfriends and governesses and concentrate on us. What about us? she asks, sitting on the sofa. I thought we were gonna relax and have a good time! he says. We are, she says. You don't look relaxed, he says. I don't? she asks. Why don't you kick off your shoes and make yourself at home? he suggests. OK, she says, and does, putting her feet up on the coffee table. There, he says, sitting beside her, putting a huge hand on her shoulder--now you look much more relaxed. She grins down at her brandy. I am, she assures him. He offers her more brandy, and she hands him the glass and says OK. He pours her more. Don't drink it yet, he says, we have another toast to make--here's to a very very special evening--he clinks his glass to hers. That remains to be seen, she tells him

Back at Collinwood, Joe asks Liz and Sarah what time Carolyn disappeared. A few hours ago, says Liz. Do you have any particular reason to suspect something might have happened to her? he asks. Not really, says Liz. She might have gone to a movie, says Joe, visiting a friend--there are all sorts of places she might be. It's not really Carolyn I'm worried about, says Liz, it's Vicki--she's supposed to be visiting a friend on Bangor, but he called and said she wasn't on any of the buses that arrived there--we know she left here--so where could she be? I still think it's possible Carolyn drove her to Bangor, says Sarah. I don't think she would have done that without telling me, says Liz. Where was Vicki supposed to catch the bus? Asks Joe--at the Collinsport Inn? Yes, says Liz. She might still be down there, suggests Joe, for some reason, let me check. He picks up the phone and dials Maggie at the Inn, explaining that he's calling for Mrs. Stoddard--has she seen her?--are you sure?--listen, have you been on duty all day?--I see--OK, no, Mrs. Stoddard's just anxious to locate her--thanks again. Maggie's been on duty all day, and Vicki hasn't been at the coffee shop, reports Joe--that means she didn't even get down to the bus. Now I really am worried, says Liz. Mrs. Johnson could be right, says Joe--Vicki and Carolyn are probably together. I suppose so, says Liz, but there's one thing I don't understand--Carolyn asked Mrs. Johnson to press a dress, and she wouldn't ask for that unless she was going someplace special--what's so special about going to Bangor with Vicki. that's true, says Sarah, she did carry on about the dress, she wanted it to be very special--she wanted to look especially pretty tonight. That's why I assumed she had a date with you, says Liz. She isn't with me, says Joe, she might have had a date with someone else. Who? asks Liz. They look at each other, coming to the same conclusion. I'll look for her, if you want me to, says Joe, but only if you want me to. I know what you're thinking, says Liz, and I hope you're wrong. You want me to look for her? asks Joe. Yes, please, she says. I hope she is with Vicki, says Joe--I hope I don't find her. He leaves. Liz and Sarah exchange worried, upset looks, and Liz bites her lip.

Burke and Carolyn have gotten comfortable, and he caresses her face as pretty music plays on the radio. You know something? he asks--half the female population in the world would trade their souls for skin like yours. Thank you very much, she says--all compliments accepted with pleasure. Nice, soft skin, he remarks, soft as a baby's. She closes her eyes, loving his touch. He runs his fingers over her lips. Burke. she says. What? he asks. Never mind, she replies, all dreamy eyed. If you have something to say, he says, go ahead and say it. I just wish I understood you better, she says, taking his hand in hers and brushing them with her lips. What's to understand? he asks. I'm never sure if you mean what you say to me, she tells him. Why shouldn't I mean it? he asks. Because I'm a Collins, she says. My quarrel is with Roger, says Burke--fortunately, you don't resemble him in the least. I'm still a Collins, she says. You're a very lovely girl, he says, that's all that interests me. I'd like to believe that, she says softly. Believe it, he says, and leans in to kiss her, a pretty quick one. Do you believe it now? he asks, and she nods. They sink into a much deeper kiss, interrupted by a knock at the door. They separate immediately, as if caught doing something wrong. Are you expecting someone? she asks. No, says Burke, annoyed--who is it? demands Burke. Joe Haskell, is the reply. Joe! says Carolyn.
Burke stands and asks what he wants. Is Carolyn in there? asks Joe. Burke looks down at her. Tell him yes, says Carolyn defiantly, and Burke grins. Carolyn takes her brandy glass and lies on the sofa. Burke goes to the door and opens it. Joe comes in and spots Carolyn on the sofa. He gazes at her reproachfully. Hello, Joe, she greets him--are you spying for my mother now?--how manly of you. I'm not spying on you, he says evenly, I don't care where you go or what you do--I'm only here because your mother is worried. Did she call you? asks Carolyn. That's right, says Joe--I think you'd better let me take you home. I'm not leaving until I want to leave, she says, drinking her brandy. When will that be, tomorrow morning? asks Joe. (Whoa, get her!) She kneels on the sofa. You have no right to talk to me that way! she says angrily. You'd better use your handkerchief, Mr. Devlin, Joe tells Burke, that shade of lipstick doesn't suit you. OK, says Burke, you made your little speech, you'd better get going now. All right, but Carolyn's coming with me, insists Joe. I'm not going anyplace, Carolyn informs him. You heard the lady, let's go, says Burke, taking Joe's arm. Joe pulls away. I said let's go, commands Burke, and Joe punches him in the face. Burke punches Joe back, first in the face, then in the stomach.
Joe! cries Carolyn, getting between them and ordering them to stop it. She grabs Joe's coat and he pushes her hands away. I don't know why I bother fighting over you, Joe says, you're not worth it. If that's your opinion of me, then why bother with me? asks Carolyn--leave me alone! I intend to, he says. Good, says Carolyn, I don't like snoops and people who spy on other people. I only came here because of Vicki, says Joe. Burke, who has been nursing his sore jaw, reacts at this--Vicki? he asks. Yes, says Joe, she's disappeared. What do you mean? asks Burke. Mrs. Stoddard thought she might be with Carolyn, replies Joe, that's the only explanation we could think of, so that's the only reason I'm here. Wait a minute, says Burke, stopping Joe from leaving--when was Vicki missing? She hasn't disappeared, says Carolyn resentfully, she went to Bangor with Frank Garner. She never got to Bangor, says Joe--she never even got to the bus--we've checked--she just seems to have vanished. That's weird, says Carolyn. Yes, and I don't like it very much, says Burke--we're going up to Collinwood right now! He slips into his jacket. To Collinwood? asks Carolyn. Yes, says Burke, see if we can find Vicki--she might be in danger. I doubt that very much, says Carolyn, peeved, but Burke hands her her coat. I don't think it's a good idea for you to go up to the house, insists Carolyn. I haven't time to argue with you, says Burke--come on, let's get going. Joe holds open the door for Carolyn, Burke turns off the radio and lights, and they leave the Inn.

The phone rings at Collinwood. Liz answers. It's Frank, telling her Vicki never got there. Do you think I should phone the sheriff? Asks Liz--yes, I guess it's still possible Carolyn and Vicki are together...she hears the front door open and says someone's there, can she call him back? She hangs up. Liz comes into the foyer where Carolyn stands looking guilty and defiant. Then you were with him, says Liz, looking at Burke. that's right, I was, says Carolyn. What's this about Vicki? asks Burke. When did she disappear? asks Carolyn. Joe, asks Liz, what happened to your face?--were you in a fight? I lost my temper, admits Joe. Never mind about that, what's this about Vicki? asks Burke. What about her? asks Carolyn. I'll tell you later, Liz tells her daughter, I also have several other things to say to you later--in the meantime, just go to your room. I'm not a little girl, insists Carolyn, and I won't be ordered around like one! Please go to your room! says Liz. All right, agrees Carolyn, who bids only Burke good night and ignores Joe before gong upstairs. I'd like to talk to you, Liz tells Burke, and he agrees he wants to speak to her, too. Joe looks upstairs at his former girlfriend. Burke and Liz go into the drawing room. Joe, about to hang up his jacket, almost trips over Vicki's suitcase, but doesn't notice it. I'll make this short and to the point, Liz tells Burke in the drawing room--your quarrel with Roger has nothing to do with my daughter--please leave her alone. I'm not here to discuss Carolyn, says Burke brusquely, whatever the personal differences are between us, they are beside the point--I'm here to help you find Vicki. I don't need your help, she says. You need anybody's help you can get, says Burke--don't you realize that Matthew--Matthew! You think that Matthew...says Liz. Matthew is missing--Vicki is missing! points out Burke, and if there's any possible connection between the two, we've got to find Vicki before it's too late--let's please forget our personal differences--Haskell! He calls to Joe, come in here, I need you. What do you want? asks Joe. We're gonna search for Vicki, says Burke, I think she might be in danger. I'll do anything I can, says Joe. When was the last time you saw her? asks Burke. About four o'clock, says Liz, I paid her her salary and she said goodbye to me. Did you see her leave the house? asks Burke. No, but I know she left, says Liz. How do you know that? asks Burke. Because her suitcase is gone, replies Liz--it was in the hall when we were talking. What kind of suitcase was it? questions Joe. A weekend case, says Liz. What was the color? Asks Joe. Red plaid, Liz tells him, why? Because I noticed a suitcase like that in the foyer behind the door, says Joe just as I came in--I was hanging up my coat and I saw it.
He hurries into the foyer and picks up the suitcase--is this Vicki's bag? He asks Liz. Yes it is, says Liz. Then she never left Collinwood, says Burke. Liz looks absolutely terrified.

NOTES: What a great episode! Kittenish Carolyn being seduced by calculating Burke--who immediately drops her when he hears Vicki's in danger! We know Burke is only romancing Carolyn for revenge purposes, which is really cruel of him, but then again, Carolyn's treatment of Joe is equally horrible, so perhaps this is a case of tit for tat. I wanted to smack Carolyn when Joe found her with Burke. They never officially broke up, but I'd say Joe is better off. Maggie is waiting to pick up the pieces! That seduction scene was pretty hot for DS, and Ryan and Barrett did a great job together. I felt so sorry for Joe, and really wished he hadn't punched Burke and gotten into a fight with him--because as he said himself, Carolyn's not worth it.

They are really escalating the tension here on Vicki's disappearance. Now that they know she isn't with Carolyn and her suitcase is still on the premises, they know something involving Matthew must have happened--and Burke is determined to find her. If Carolyn doesn't realize where Burke's real feelings lie after this, she's a fool--but then again, we already know that about her, don't we?

I really enjoyed this ep. Watching the evidence piling up from Frank in Bangor to the suitcase left at Collinwood made for a terrific show. Loved the way Mrs. Johnson tried to allay Liz' fears, and how willingly Joe went to find Carolyn even though he suspected he was going to get hurt--in more ways than one. As for Carolyn, three big boos for the nasty little bitch! She was angry at Vicki for disappearing again, spoiling what she anticipated to be some really great sex with an older, experienced man. Never mind that Vicki might be in danger for her life--the spoiled brat didn't get her anticipated nookie!

Also, notice how they deliberately didn't show us Matthew and Vicki today, so we can fret about them even more. Very good plotting on the writers' part.

Episode #118 - It is night at Collinwood, and I'm desperately afraid that it may be the last night of my life. I'm held prisoner in a secret room of a deserted house by a half-crazed, desperate man--a man who once attempted to kill me. At Collinwood, the only three people in the world who could rescue me have just discovered I am nearby.

Matthew forces Vicki back into the secret room.

Joe asks Liz if she's positive this is Vicki's bag. Positive, says Liz, her initials are on it. Then she never left the grounds, says Burke. What do you think could have happened to her? Liz asks nervously. Joe sets the suitcase down on the foyer table and suggests she might have gotten lost on the grounds--the property stretches for miles and some of the terrain is pretty tricky. Why would she wander around the estate when she was due on Bangor? asks Burke. I don't know, says Joe, I'm just searching for some logical reason why she'd disappear. There's a reason that's even more logical, says Burke, one none of us wants to think about. Matthew? asks Liz. He's still missing, says Burke--and Vicki is missing now--he could have come back here, Vicki could have stumbled on him and he might be holding her right now. The sheriff is positive he's miles away from here, says Liz. The sheriff could be wrong, says Burke--you'd better get the sheriff on the phone--and hope we haven't been too late. Liz dials and we see Vicki's initials on her suitcase again.

Liz reaches the sheriff's office and tells him she has reason to believe Vicki is still on the grounds--can you get up here right away?--will you bring additional men with you?--I'm terribly worried about her--thank you, George. She hangs up and tells Burke that he'll be here as soon as he can. Burke suggests that he and Haskell look around here right now. Joe agrees. Do you have any guns on the place? Asks Burke--I think we should be armed, just in case. Are you that sure Matthew is responsible for her disappearance? Asks Liz. No I'm not, says Burke, but if it's a possibility, we should be prepared for it. Joe agrees, saying they ought to be armed, just in case. Liz tells them Roger has some guns in the gun rack in the back, and Joe accompanies her to get them. Burke caresses Vicki's initials on her suitcase.

Secret room - Vicki looks quite disheveled, sitting on the mattress. Thought you could outsmart me, didn't ya? chortles Matthew--thought you could trick me into trustin' ya so you could sneak out of here and sic the sheriff after me--too bad for you, I was onto your game all along. I did what you told me to, she protests--I gave you enough time to get away. Don't try to outsmart old Matthew, he's too shrewd for ya, brags the former handyman. You could have made a run for your car and no one would have stopped you, insists Vicki. Matthew sits down and lights a cigarette. When will you stop your lyin'? he demands. I'm not lying, she says--do you think the police are silent and invisible?--you know they're not outside--you were out there! Not right outside, maybe, says Matthew, but they could be in the woods, up by the ravine, on the cliffs. Pretty soon Mrs. Stoddard is going to find I'm missing, warns Vicki--the the police will start searching for me--and they'll look at this house. Let 'em search, says Matthew--they'll never find me here--nobody knows about this room but me, not even Mrs. Stoddard. How can you be sure Mrs. Stoddard doesn't know about it? asks Vicki. Because I am, he says. She knows everything about Collinwood and it's history, says Vicki--there's a very good chance she knows about this room--and a very good chance the police will trap you in here--unless you make a run for it now--you're going to lose your last chance to escape, and you know what I'm saying is the truth. He puts out his cigarette and reechoes for a length of rope hanging on he wall. What are you doing? asks Vicki, scared. Get up, orders Matthew. She shakes her head. Get up, he says again, and this time, she does. He pushes her into a chair and tells her he's tying her up, and gagging her--then he'll go outside and take a look--you could be tellin' me the truth. I AM, she says. You'd better be, he says, gagging her with her own scarf.
Matthew has finished binding and gagging Vicki. He gives her a warning look before leaving the secret room. He looks out the window, then goes to the front door and listens.

Liz has provided Burke and Joe with nice rifles. She hands Burke the shells, and he loads up, handing Joe bullets, too. He hands the box back to Liz and says thanks. I hope you don't have to use them, says Liz. So do I, says Joe, I still think there's a possibility Vicki's just lost. Burke takes Joe's arm and urges him to the door, telling him to come on. Before they leave, Liz stops them--I just thought of something--maybe she isn't only just lost, she says--just as she was about to leave this afternoon, she discovered she'd lost her wallet somewhere on the way from the Old House--she went there earlier to get David, and somewhere, when she discovered she'd lost it, she knew where to find it. Do you know the way to the Old House Burke asks Joe. Yeah, says Joe. They'd mentioned coming back by a shortcut, says Liz, Vicki said she had to climb over a fence. Do you know the shortcut? Asks Burke. Yes, says Liz, it's past the greenhouse through that clump of trees. Should we head in that direction together, or do you want to split up? asks Joe.
I think we should stick together for the time being, says Burke, and they head off. Liz admonishes them to be careful, and she goes into the drawing room to look out the window and watch them go.

Matthew exits the Old House and looks around.

Joe, flashlight in hand, precedes Burke as they walk through the woods, both carrying the rifles.

Vicki sits in the secret room, trussed up, unable to speak.

Burke and Joe find the fence Vicki must have climbed over, but there's no sign of her. Nevertheless, Burke calls to Vicki. The wind might be carrying your voice in the opposite direction, says Joe. Yeah, I know, says Burke, she could be someplace out there calling to us and we wouldn't hear her. She must be freezing by now, says Joe, the cold and dampness are getting to me already. Burke finds a piece of cloth and suggests it could be from Vicki's dress--how far is it to the Old House? About a quarter of a mile, says Joe. Let's go, says Burke.

Matthew glances up at the moon, which is half-obscured by clouds. He enters the house and returns to the secret room, then closes it after him.

Joe and Burke continue to search the woods along the path to the Old House.

Matthew takes off Vicki's gag. You didn't hear anybody out there, did you? she asks. Nope, he says. I told you there was no one out there, she says, you believe me now? Might be best to make a run for it, he says. Well, what are you waiting for, why don't you go? she asks. I'm takin' you with me, he says. Me? she cries--what good would I do you? In case there are police somewhere out there, he says, they can't take a shot at me without hittin' you. There aren't any police out there, how could there be--they probably don't even know I'm missing yet! she says desperately. Don't try to argue with me! he says, I'm going--and you're going with me! He kneels to untie her, and you can see how close Vicki is to losing it.

Wolves howl as Joe and Burke make their way to the Old House through the cold woods.

What are you going to do when you get to the car? Vicki asks Matthew. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, he replies. Can't you just leave me there and go? she asks. Better to have you there with me, he says--the police will be less likely to shoot at me with you in the car. You can't keep me with you forever, she protests. Better for me to leave you off miles away in the woods, where you can't get to a phone, he says--I don't know, I've got to go one step at a time. She looks miserable. You'll do what I tell ya and you'll be all right, he says. She rubs her wrists and tells him she's trying to cooperate with him. Come on, he says, grabbing her out of the chair and propelling her into the drawing room.

Joe and Burke have arrived at the Old House. That's it, says Joe. Let's go, says Burke.

Matthew propels Vicki to the door, and asks her if she hears something. No, she says. I thought I did, says Matthew. They both hear Joe call, "Vicki!" Matthew immediately snakes his hand around Vicki's mouth. Burke calls her name, too. Matthew drags her back to the secret room, his huge hand clamped over her mouth so she can't reply. He drags her across the floor into the secret room, and closes the shelf behind them.
Joe and Burke enter the house. Vicki? calls Burke. The place is deserted, says Joe, and although he agrees, Burke calls her name a second time, then suggests they split up--you look upstairs, I'll stay down here--and be careful, Joe--Matthew could be anyplace around here, and he might be armed. Joe heads slowly upstairs. Burke stands in the drawing room, shining the flashlight around, focusing on Josette's portrait, then onto the shelf behind which Matthew holds Vicki in a tight grasp, his hand covering her mouth. Burke passes by the shelf. Josette's portrait begins to glow without benefit of flashlight. Eerie music plays. Joe comes back downstairs. Devlin? he calls. Burke comes up behind him and asks if he found anything. No, I searched all the rooms upstairs, says Joe. Nothing down here, either, says Burke--I could have sworn we'd have found her here if we found her at all. I wonder if the sheriff's gotten up to the main house yet? asks Joe. He must have by this time, says Burke--his men are probably our scouring the woods. Inside the secret room, Matthew listens to what they're saying. Might as well go join them, says Joe. All right, says Burke, but before they leave, Burke asks him how much he knows about this old house. Carolyn and I used to come exploring here when we were kids, says Joe, but I don't remember much about it. This is a huge old house, says Burke, and there might be closed off sections in it that we don't know anything about. I wouldn't know where to look besides the places we've already searched, says Joe. Mrs. Stoddard knows this house better than anybody else, says Burke--why don't you go back to the main house and ask her about this place, I'll stay here and look around some more. Mr. Devlin, says Joe, don't you think that's a waste of time, I think we'd be helping Vicki more if we joined the sheriff. I know, says Burke, I might be out of my mind, but I think we should look over the house again--she sheriff and his men can search the outside. OK, agrees Joe, I'll go along with whatever you say. Hurry back as soon as you can, Burke tells him. Joe agrees and leaves. Burke searches the downstairs again. Matthew holds Vicki in a tight grasp, his huge paw covering the whole lower half of her face.

Joe returns to Collinwood, where Liz waits outside. Any trace of her? she asks Joe. No, not a sign, he says--Burke stayed back at the house, he wanted to take another look around--I just wanted to ask you some questions. What questions? she asks. About the house, says Joe--there are some things we'd like to know--we've searched practically everywhere, up and down, but we would like to know if there are any rooms we might have missed, room that are closed up or shut off for some reason--storage places in attic or basement--any places we might have missed--can you think of any that might fit that description? Yes, says Liz, as s matter of fact, I can.

Josette's portrait glows.
Burke continues to search, shining his flashlight on the now-dark portrait. He hears something outside and stands, aiming his rifle at the door. Joe enters, smiles, and tells him not to get trigger-happy. Did you find out anything? asks Burke. Yes, says Joe, there is a place in this house we haven't searched--and he marches over to the bookcase (heartstopper!)--the storage cellar, he says, the entrance is out back. I already looked there, says Burke, I found it. Did you get in?--Mrs. Stoddard said was locked, says Joe. I broke the lock says Burke, nothing but a lot of musty old junk--did she tell you another place Vicki might be? Matthew holds Vicki securely inside the secret room, barely inches from the two men trying to rescue her. Hope, says Joe, she knows this place better than anybody else. That's true, says Burke, what do you think we ought to do?--I suppose we ought to get out of here, we're wasting our time. The sheriff came to the house about 20 minutes ago, Joe reports, with a dozen men.
(Matthew's eyes widen.) Where are they? asks Burke. Out coming the woods, says Joe. We'd better join them, says Burke, we're not doing Vicki any good here. And, to Vicki's horror, Joe and Burke leave the house. Matthew takes his hand away from her mouth and she's able to get in one good healthy scream of, "BURKE!" before he silences her again. He listens at the door, holding her fast in his grip, but the men are gone. He shoves her down onto the mattress. "That was a dumb thing to do, Miss Winters!" he says--"real dumb!" Vicki looks up at him with terror.

NOTES: How awful for poor Vicki, to be mere inches from her potential rescuers and unable to let them know she's there! Every time she defies Matthew, he becomes more nervous and that much closer to killing her--and apparently, Liz has no clue about that secret room! Now that Matthew knows the cops are swarming the estate, Vicki's hope that he'll make a run for it are dashed, too--he'll either kill her or keep her prisoner there, and he seems agitated enough to do the former. Didn't you feel intense suspense when Joe and Burke were searching for her, and faked out when Joe sprinted toward the bookcase? Will Vicki eve be rescued now that they've searched the Old House and haven't found her? What will Matthew decide to do with Vicki? Notice how well Burke and Joe, who had just been taking swings at each other over Carolyn, worked together to find Vicki?

Wasn't it chilling when Matthew told Vicki of his plans to take her with him--and use her as a shield, if necessary?

Love, Robin