Author Topic: The Divine One Strikes Again  (Read 6283 times)

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
The Divine One Strikes Again
« on: August 01, 2004, 06:04:52 AM »
Hi folks!  I just got my Satan In High Heels DVD in the mail the other day.  Turning the lights low, I enjoyed a juicy bit of campy film noir...  :D   What can I say? Fantƒ¡stico, mis amigos!  ;)  I just adore Grayson's hair, clothes, and dialogue in this film.

I happen to have a screen capture thingy (yeah, nice technical term - LOL) on my computer, so I made a couple pictures [crossing my fingers this posts okay]. These are just a few of the gorgeous Grayson moments  (say that 5 times fast!  LOL).

I love this sequence...and that HAT!   ;D

Can you imagine Barnabas' reaction if he caught Julia in the library doing this?  LOL   ;D

I just like look on her face in this picture...chuckle.

"Sing for me AGAIN, Judith darling. We have MUCH to work on...tonight."   ;)

Sorry J99, couldn't resist!   :-*

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: The Divine One Strikes Again
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 07:57:42 AM »
Wonderful pictures, Heather - thank you!!

"A screen capture thingy," - so that's how it's done!!  I've often meant to ask how people manage to get the screen captures - I didn't realize there was a special device to do it!!
 :)
Josette

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 10:03:44 AM »
Your very welcome Josette...just thought I'd share.   :)  :-*

Regarding the screen captures--it's not actually a device hooked into my computer (I use a Mac that has a CD/DVD drive built right into the computer; no tower or anything). One day I found a program I could download that's compatible with my system...with a few mouse clicks you can play the DVD, fast forward or rewind, step through each frame...and take captures. It took a while for me to get the hang of it, but overall I like it because it has more features than the regular DVD controls had (chuckle).

Then again, I'm no expert by any means. I assume that PC's (and other computer systems) have different programs/devices for all I know.  LOL   :D

-Heather (who's been around Apple/Macs since Kindergarten...AppleII's are where I got my computer-literate wings, baby.  LOL)  ;)

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 04:03:56 PM »
Hey Heather those are great shots. . .i too have thought wouldn't it be wild if Barnabas came home and saw Julia perched atop a desk with a cigarette a la Pepe. . .wonder if she did that privately for Sam?  :-*

Hey girl . .send me those captures --you know where. . .

Am I the only one who **doesn't** like the hat?
Julia99

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 05:08:44 PM »
love the hat! :-*i also love the stand-alone ashtray at the shoe store.what year was this made in?i'm going to guess 1974.i'll look for this at the video store although it looks pretty obscure.thanks heather!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 07:14:14 PM »
Glad to know there's yet another convert to the SIHH/Grayson-as-Pepe cult, which is, of course, a subsidiary of Grayson's Legion!  ;)

Heather, if you wouldn't mind, could you send me a personal message regarding the program you used to do screen captures?  I've tried using the "Grab" feature on my iMac, but it won't allow me to use it with the DVD player.  Also, will it allow you to print the caps?

Thanks!

John (who often dreams that a long-lost Douglas Sirk melodrama starring Grayson, Lauren Bacall, Lovelady Powell, and Carol Channing is discovered in a vault somewhere...)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 07:34:50 PM »
Oh good job, Heather!  These captures are suitable for framing.

Could you send the same info to me that answers ClaudeNorth's questions, pretty please?  I've been trying to capture a scene from the DVD to print on photo paper because I have an opportunity to get it autographed by the actor (now all growed up-- it's an OLD movie), and I've tried everything I can think of but the grab always ends up being from something else, sigh.  Taking it from my video copy just won't be as clear.

And actually, since you seem to be onto something that's of interest, please feel free to post it here if you'd like.  :D

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 11:07:27 PM »
A great big hug to Heather for posting those fabulous shots of Pepe/Grayson. I'd also love to have copies.

And to answer other questions, SIHH was made around 1962 IIRC, or at least released then. I got the movie from Amazon and it is frequently available on eBay, both VHS and DVD.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 12:42:41 AM »
1962?! boy was i off...the floppy hat was totally giving me 1974 :P.wasn't ms.hall only in her early 40's when she began on d.s.?that would make her mid 30's when this movie as made...did this woman ever look young?

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 01:02:11 AM »
did this woman ever look young?

Certainly.  The minute she got all that make-up off her face and left the set for the day, I've no doubt she looked at least 10 years younger.  Make-up at that time wasn't about looking like a teenager....it was dramatic and obvious, and frequently not flattering at all.

I've never seen the movie, but I'll bet the character was never meant to be merely "pretty".  "Exotic" or "sophisticated"  perhaps....but never so boring as "pretty".
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 01:18:09 AM »
don't get me wrong raineypark, ms. hall is one of the most striking,sophisticated looking women i've ever seen.she's sensational looking, but not really "young" :-*.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 01:26:10 AM »
I didn't think you were criticizing  ;)......it's just that I'm old enough to actually remember that style of make-up and just how "aging" it could actually be.  Especially that thick black eye-liner......What were we thinking?   ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 05:08:41 AM »
"My ears are burning..."   ;)

I've never seen the movie, but I'll bet the character was never meant to be merely "pretty".  "Exotic" or "sophisticated"  perhaps....but never so boring as "pretty".

Chic and sophisticated....with an ounce of zing.   ;)  Hard to tell in B&W, but I actually like her makeup in this movie--it accentuated the character, IMO (plus, if you look real close, you can see some of her freckles... I don't know, I think that's cute. LOL)

Whatever gripes were had with the director, he sure made use of those close-ups...   :D

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2004, 05:17:42 AM »
Glad to know there's yet another convert to the SIHH/Grayson-as-Pepe cult, which is, of course, a subsidiary of Grayson's Legion!  ;)

LOL, John!  A cult you say? Are vodka shots part of the initiation ceremony?  ;D  Good lord, I've been on a Pepe kick lately...wanting to pair her up with other interesting characters [I could really use a devil smiley here - LOL]

Heather, if you wouldn't mind, could you send me a personal message regarding the program you used to do screen captures?  I've tried using the "Grab" feature on my iMac, but it won't allow me to use it with the DVD player.  Also, will it allow you to print the caps?

I'll try to help, if I can. And since Midnite's also wondering, I'll post it here too. :) First of all, what system are you running on your iMac? Is it OS 9 or OS X (and higher)? I'm just asking because I have an eMac, which, oddly enough, has both systems installed (but you can't run both at the same time - chuckle). The DVD capture software I downloaded is for the Mac OSX operating system. It's called DVD Capture[/i] and you can get it at:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16324

or

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/software.php3

The great thing is that it's completely free. No money or info required to download it. The catch is that you have to have the right system, and a Mac DVD player (version 3.0 and higher). I know exactly what you mean about the grab feature...you think you could capture anything on the screen, but it doesn't do ANYTHING when a DVD is playing. I was almost pulling my hair out one day, wondering what I was doing wrong - LOL.

I know that there's other software one can download--for PC's, Linux, Unix, Windows, etc...some of them costing some moola to acquire ;) but I'm just going over what I have.
*IF* what i mentioned is compatible with your computer system [crossing fingers], you intall it fairly easily, and then a gold DVD icon appears in a window, along with additional info to read. Once you get it going, it's used as a companion to your DVD player. Now, when i insert a DVD, the standard DVD player comes on, but you can use the 'DVD Capture' controls to operate everything instead.

You're presented with a metallic-looking window that has the controls (fairly self-explainatory) and a few options. First of all, I'd set it up so there is NO capture delay--easier. ;) I can send you more info privately, but basically--after you find a nice shot to capture, you click on pause then click the capture button (the fast-forward and rewind buttons come in handy to find just the right shot, as well as the step feature--steps through a scene frame by frame). You'll know it's working when you see the the desktop fade to black, with the "normal size" DVD frame in the center of the screen. You'll hear a little snapshot (as long as the volume is turned up - lol), then the screen goes back to normal. You have a choice of saving it to the clipboard or a PDF file--I find it less confusing to just save it to the PDF file.

Okay--open up the PDF file you've just created and click "select image" in the toolbar. Position your mouse next to the picture and then drag the little cross-hatch marker until it creates a little marquee around the part of the photo you like best. Realease the mouse--the area you circumvented should turn into a negative image. Now, position your mouse into the center of the negative photo and click. Holding down your mouse, drag the pointer beyond the PDF window frame. When you reach the desktop, let go. Now, close the PDF file. Click on an open space in the desktop--the photo you've just highlighted should appear as a .pict file on the desktop. Double click on that to view the image, full size. If everything looks okay, click on *file* in the toolbar and select *export*. Now you can save the image in a file/folder of your choosing, and most importanly, change the format (click on format in the little window--they list different file extensions. Just choose .jpeg -- it's easier, and greatly reduces the KB's  LOL)

Now you have a .jpg image.  [a grinning, clapping smiley would be appropriate here]  ;)

Oh yes--once you make the capture--you can indeed print it out. The PDF file will print what's in the file, but you can also print the image once you convert it to a .pict or other file. :)

Some of this came to me through trial and error, but eventually you get the hang of it.

Whew--enough detail for ya?  LOL  Is your brain hurting yet?  :D

John (who often dreams that a long-lost Douglas Sirk melodrama starring Grayson, Lauren Bacall, Lovelady Powell, and Carol Channing is discovered in a vault somewhere...)

LOL... you guys are too much!  :-*

Take care,

Heather

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 05:51:43 AM »
Hey Heather those are great shots. . .i too have thought wouldn't it be wild if Barnabas came home and saw Julia perched atop a desk with a cigarette a la Pepe. . .wonder if she did that privately for Sam?  :-*

Perhaps--ya never know.  ;)  And I dare ya to put that little detail into a story--Julia tells Barnabas (while on the desk) that they need to talk... or something. ;D

Hey girl . .send me those captures --you know where. . .

Thanks - Coming right up...you too, Bette.  :-*

Am I the only one who **doesn't** like the hat?

Chortle--I think it's one of those things that's so bad it's good...well, not really bad, just over the top (very curvey).  You certainly knew who was in charge in that sequence.  :D