Author Topic: Hmmm - What does the synopsis for this movie sound awfully like:  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Just read this on my DVR for a movie that's on Bounce TV tonight:

Spirit Lost (1997)
In this spooky horror movie, a painter and his wife buy a beautiful home without realizing that it is haunted by the lovely and terribly lonely ghost of a sea captain's lover. Anxious for a new lover to join her, this sexy she-ghost does all she can to simultaneously seduce the husband and frighten away his wife.

Hmmm - now just where have I heard of a movie with a seemingly very similar storyline?  [scratch2]  I know it'll come to me eventually...

[b003]  But I do think that just for the fun of it I'm going to record it just to see how really similar it is!  [nodassent]

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Hmmm - What does the synopsis for this movie sound awfully like:
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 06:03:56 AM »
LOL!
Josette

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 08:47:59 PM »
The plot outline wasn't original to NoDS.  I saw an episode of ONE STEP BEYOND from the early 1960s that was a very similar story to NoDS, complete with the husband being taken over by the angry male spirit of a previous house owner (not, in this case, an ancestor I believe) and getting stroppy with his wife.  New England setting, too--in Maine, if I recall aright.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 09:15:20 PM »
Last night I only stayed up long enough to catch the first half - but in that first half alone there were enough similarities between Spirit Lost and NoDS for them to be in no way coincidental. Beyond the plot outline, the she-ghost's locket looks to figure into things, the painter/husband has dreams/nightmares about events in the lusty she-ghost's life, he's drawn to an attic room in the house where he meets her in the flesh, so to speak, and not only do they have much more graphic sex there than there ever was in NoDS, he begins to spend more and more time obsessively painting there, neglecting his wife, and becoming more and more surly to boot whenever she questions why he spends so much time in the attic room. Can the wife checking out the attic room for herself be far behind? Who knows how many more similarities may await once I get around to watching the second half?

The opening credits say the movie is based on a book by Nancy Thayer. Well, if it really is closely based on that book, the heirs of Sam Hall and DC should sue Thayer, the producers of the movie, and its screenwriter!  [nodassent]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 10:28:46 PM »
I just noticed that this movie is on Bounce TV again Monday morning at 1am ET.

I still haven't watched the second half...