Author Topic: Discuss - Infamous Ep #0938  (Read 4064 times)

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Infamous Ep #0938
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2015, 06:44:42 PM »
Right, Uncle Roger! Definitely something to look forward to! [ghost_cheesy]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2015, 06:07:10 AM »
It's sort of amazing that it was relatively racy for DS to have indicated that Bran And Catherine did just have sex while the camera was elsewhere.  Society itself wasn't so puritanical, not even the oldsters.  Maybe paranoia about the "sexual revolution" caused a reverse reaction, to keep a lid on it.  Oh yeah, kids had been racing home to watch it.  Well, they weren't anymore at this point, I'm sure.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2015, 07:16:14 AM »
I think DS already had a lot going against it.  It didn't need another group to rally against steamy scenes.  It already made its enemies with those who found it to be "in league with the Devil," as our dear Reverend Trask would say. 

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2015, 07:20:55 AM »
I remember that at least in the North, it would have sounded like something out of the Dark Ages, the idea of people taking supernatural stuff so seriously that you could have a religious objection to seeing it on TV.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2015, 02:30:06 PM »
Even given the context of the time, DS is remarkably chaste. I don't recall if there was a lot of on screen bedhopping but the pregnancy rate on daytime tv has always seemed higher than that of most third world countries. On a more traditional soap, Angelique would have attempted to make a permanent bond with Barnabas by getting pregnant. Yet, the only character who becomes pregnant during an on camera story  is Catherine. Perhaps DS wasn't considered to be that kind of show (whatever that may mean) but, now that I think about it, it's the only on screen pregnancy in all of DS.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »
Magnus, Cousin Barnabas, and Uncle Roger, I like all of your comments! But I would also add that the Bramwell-Catherine encounter resonated all the more powerfully precisely because the writers left it entirely to our imaginations.

I remember that when I first started hearing that people in--ahem!--other parts of the country took all the supernatural stuff seriously, I was absolutely incredulous. What did I know. *sigh*

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2015, 09:53:17 PM »
People talk about news only coming from a tiny number of corporate-controlled sources now, but back then, there was a unified point of view (what conservatives like to call trhe "liberal media"), a NYC perspective, that worked for effective news reporting, but which didn't show us all points of view around the country, on a lot of different issues.  That's why, understandably, conservatives seized their share of the media, when more media became available with cable, etc..  Well, at least things like paranoia over witchcraft in real life is out in the open now.  I wonder if it really is worse now, or if it's just covered more.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2015, 03:43:07 PM »
That could be true, Magnus.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2015, 08:43:49 PM »
  [laughing4] [stfl] [lol2]

Merle Oberon lolololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Recently, I posted one of their names as Hesbola.)

Word....before anyone wrote it, I wondered about Petofi....I genuinely think he would have fled. (Not King Johnny though.)

It was 'weird' having Barnabas be 'mean', but, it was good acting.

Sorry, I'll always hate the Todds.

Patti

[color] [color] [color]
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2015, 02:14:29 AM »
Cher,,,,Sheriff same/diff.

He is an oaf! I hate him! WHERE'S KING JOHNNY WHEN YOU NEED HIM???

I would've called him, thanked him for the roses, then when he asks if they're still on for 8pm, I'd laugh.

GET BENT BUDDY.

I'm in rare form tonight,

Patti

[color] [color] [color]

Actually, I'd like to sic the Haitian (Heroes) on him...
What a Woman!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2015, 03:42:01 AM »
GET BENT BUDDY.

Chuckle.  And I always imagine that hooded actor calling out in a resonant, dignified voice, "I am Merle Oberon!!"