Author Topic: Review of DS Reunion DVD  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Review of DS Reunion DVD
« on: July 21, 2004, 10:46:11 PM »
Here's a terrific review from the Summer 2004 issue of Videoscope (#51) that appears here with the permission of its author.

Dark Shadows Reunion (2003)  3 antennas
Dir: uncredited. With Dan Curtis, Kate Jackson, David Selby, Lara Parker, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Nancy Barrett, Roger Davis, Jerry Lacy, others.
105 minutes. DVD (MPI Home Video) 2003

In March, 2001, the Museum of Television and Radio paid tribute to the groundbreaking horror themed soap opera Dark Shadows. Held at the Director's Guild of America Theatre in Los Angeles, the Q&A styled tribute features the only personal appearances made--up to that time--by Dark Shadows creator/producer Dan Curtis, director Lela Swift, and cast members Kate Jackson (Daphne) and Alexandra Moltke (Victoria Winters).

This disc is a video presentation of that event. Shot in a simple, straightforward manner, Dark Shadows Reunion is nothing more than Curtis, plus most of his surviving cast and crew, talking about the show and answering audience questions.

Having said that, let me add that the disc is well done, featuring steady camera work and superb sound. Curtis and company are clearly a group who enjoy being with each other, and are having a great time!

There are serious moments, as Lela Swift discusses having been a female director working in a male dominated industry. There are funny moment, as actor John Karlen (Willie) admits to having six children with various of his Dark Shadows castmates! (An audience member admits to being one of those children!) And there are deeply touching moments, as the cast pays quiet tribute to one of their own. Only five days before this event took place, Dark Shadows actor Louis Edmonds (Roger Collins) had died.

Dan Curtis proves himself to be quite the comedian. He recalls that an unseen character named Dr. Julius Hoffman was mentioned on air one day as being "the best man for the job". When the character appeared a week later, it was Dr Julia Hoffman, a woman (Grayson Hall), who went on to become one of the show's most beloved characters. When it was pointed out to him that the character was announced as a man, Curtis quotes himself with a gut busting laugh: "Who cares? No one will notice! No one will ever see these episodes again!!" The audience roared!

Obviously, this disc will appeal only to die hard fans of the series. But there are a lot of Shadow-holics out there, and for them, Dark Shadows Reunion will be a delight. As a proud Dark Shadows groupie myself, I highly recommend Dark Shadows Reunion.

The extras are gems. Kathryn Leigh Scott (Maggie/Josette) is seen in Dark Shadows promos from 1969. Also featured are uncut interviews with Jonathan Frid (Barnabas) on the Merv Griffin Show(1969) and Joan Bennett (Elizabeth Collins Stoddard) with Mike Douglas (1970). The latter is rather amusing as Bennett's fellow guest, the every ditzy Dody Goodman, cuts in several times, rambling on and on but making little sense!
--David Nahmod
[/b][/size][/font]
Other reviews by David in this issue:
The Man Who Changed His Mind (1936)
Myra Breckenridge (1970)
The Lon Chaney Collection

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Review of DS Reunion DVD
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 10:52:54 PM »
Thanks for that great review, Midnite!  Congrats to David!

As a closet Dody Goodman groupie, I'm pretty excited about the extras on this disc.  I just wish they had included Grayson's Playtex bra commercial.  MPI still doesn't give the Grayson fans much respect, it seems.  *pout*

Steve

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 12:52:20 AM »
Ooh. A Grayson Hall bra commercial. What a hoot!

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 01:15:59 AM »
I just wish they had included Grayson's Playtex bra commercial.  MPI still doesn't give the Grayson fans much respect, it seems.  *pout*

Yeah...yeah, really!  ::SIGH:: I still want a Julia bobble-head doll...mumble... ;)

And of course, I would LOVE to see that commercial one day!  :)

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

David

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 02:56:27 AM »
Thanks, Midnite.
The review posted here is the unedited text I turned in to the mag. The editor made a few cuts, natch!(what can ya do?)

I've been assigned to review the Return to Collinwood
and Dark Shadows Memories CDs,
so stay tuned!(OK, I asked for those assignments, I admit it! Gimme a break, will ya!)

Coming soon to Filmfax Mag: my review of Bob Issell's(Bobubas)
CD: Dark Shadows: The Ron Barry Interviews.

Re: Grayson's bra commercial:
I recall that with sheer delight.
The Dark Shadows Special Edition DVD had commercials with Jerry Lacy, Marie Wallace & Humbert Allen Astredo. I just got a commercial compilation CD that included Robert Rodan's Cheer
commercial(he looked like Mr. Spock)
hopefully Grayson's commercial, along with KL Scott's cigarette
ad(anyone else remember that one?)
will turn up one day!   

Offline CyrusL

• Senior Poster
  • What is the line between good and evil?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 08:34:29 PM »
While we are on the subject of DS commercials, does anyone else remember Lara Parker for "Wink, the sassy one...from Canada Dry!" or Don Briscoe showering with Dial soap, during the "Aren't you glad you use Dial? Don't you wish everone did?" era. I know I didn't dream these. And they still sell Wink here in VA.

Michael,
           Your Cousin from Virginia
Your Cousin from Virginia

"I have the deed to Carfax Abbey..."

"Scare unto others as you would have them scare unto you.".. Super Ghoul

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 09:22:44 PM »
While we are on the subject of DS commercials, does anyone else remember Lara Parker for "Wink, the sassy one...from Canada Dry!" or Don Briscoe showering with Dial soap, during the "Aren't you glad you use Dial? Don't you wish everone did?" era.
well i think if i saw don in a commercial for dial soap it would not be the soap i would ever remember! ;D

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 08:43:33 PM »
Hey Jennifer!

Me in the shower with Don--I drop the bar of soap, yell "oopsie!" in a high squeal, and turn around and bend down very s-l-o-w-l-y to pick it up.

Evil cackles,

Steve the Incorrigible

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004, 12:12:10 AM »
Evil cackles,

Steve the Incorrigible

LOL  Have fun... I can 'hear' that cackle all the way over here in Pittsburgh.  ;D  ;)

Just be glad I've spared the board of some of my lengthy (and ecclectic) musings--the latest one involves a NOTI and SIHH crossover...  ;D

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 01:54:32 AM »
While we are on the subject of DS commercials, does anyone else remember Lara Parker for "Wink, the sassy one...from Canada Dry!" or Don Briscoe showering with Dial soap, during the "Aren't you glad you use Dial? Don't you wish everone did?" era. I know I didn't dream these. And they still sell Wink here in VA.
Still creaking in the recesses of my mind (and I can't vouch for its accuracy) is Roger Davis hawking The Dry Look hairspray.  Does anyone else remember that?

It calls to mind the days when it was square for guys to use the "greasy kids' stuff" and hip to "poof" our hair with blowdryers and hairspray.

Ben
(now trying to decide whether it's time for Grecian Formula)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 01:18:46 PM »
(now trying to decide whether it's time for Grecian Formula)

Be thankful you have something on which to use Grecian Formula!!! ;D

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 10:23:43 PM »
Ooh. A Grayson Hall bra commercial. What a hoot!

The irony. . .
Julia99