Author Topic: The Best Episode of the Series  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The Best Episode of the Series
« on: June 03, 2015, 07:39:24 AM »
We all have episodes that we remember simply because of the plots.  Victoria's arrival at Collinwood, Barnabas being placed under the vampire curse, Quentin's ghost driving everyone out of the house...  But what is the best episode of the series?  What episode encapsulates the entire spirit of the show in 22 minutes? 

I would have to say that I would give the honor to Episode 691 (with the groundwork set in Episode 690).  It's one of two episodes written by Ralph Ellis, and it is simply wonderful from start to finish.  More than any other writer, this man is able to capture the essence of the show in a single episode.

The episode begins with Maggie Evans searching for the children who have gone missing while playing The Game.  The atmosphere and tension in the first part of the episode is reminiscent of the early days on the show, when suspense was king.  Except the atmosphere is so much creepier here than it ever was in 1966, and the stakes are much higher.  The show is now in full-bloom and has fully embraced its nature as a Gothic serial.  Kathryn Leigh Scott leads this episode's cast and turns in a phenomenal performance as Collinwood's unfortunate governess.  Her role as the doomed ingenue who uncovers one-too-many secrets is only matched one other time in the show when Victoria Winters is kidnapped by Matthew Morgan.  But, in this episode, the viewers are made to fear for the governess in a way they never had to before.  That's because she faces the greatest threat from the individuals she is sworn to protect -- the children.  David Henesy and Denise Nickerson are extraordinary in this episode.  For the proof of that, just listen to their maniacal giggling.  They embody innocence corrupted by evil.

The rest of the episode has equally great performances from Clarice Blackburn playing the housekeeper on the verge of hysteria, David Selby embracing the demonic nature of Quentin Collins, and Joan Bennett whose elegant family matriarch has to finally accept the truth she has been denying for so long -- that her family's secrets can no longer be contained within the walls of Collinwood.  For so long, the Collins family has simply locked its secrets away.  But now the head of the family is finally admitting to herself that she must face the truth.  She can no longer live with the lie.  We see Elizabeth's character choose to face reality twice before, [spoiler]once with her brother and Burke Devlin and the other with herself and Jason McGuire[/spoiler]. Including this theme, probably one of the key tenants of the series, takes this already amazing episode to new heights. 

The theme of demonic possession is also strong here.  Ellis writes Quentin as more than a ghost.  In these episodes, he is written as a force.  Mrs. Johnson and Maggie both describe him as such, trying to put into words the specific nature of his existence.  He is evil, pure and simple.  Writing the character this way was a bold move for television.  It's a shame the other writers didn't maintain this truly dark portrayal. 

One of the greatest things about this episode is the use of "silence" and "stillness" as a means to achieve terror.  The house going dead silent.  The children lying perfectly still.  It's chilling.  Truly inspired and brilliantly executed.   

The episode ends as powerfully and eerily as it began, not with a dramatic musical cue, but with David Collins sitting up in bed, laughing at Elizabeth's efforts to help them.  The laughter of Quentin and David can be heard over "Shadows of the Night," which plays the episode out.  Elizabeth and Mrs. Johnson stare in disbelief and horror as they realize the darkness of Collinwood has consumed the souls of its most innocent inhabitants.         

Now it's your turn.  Share the episode you believe to be the best in this thread!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: The Best Episode of the Series
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 01:50:51 PM »
Thank you for starting this thread, Cousin Barnabas! Your choice of ep. and your description are superb. I will have to give my choice some time--there are a lot of good ones.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 08:05:18 PM »
I am excited to read your response, DarkLady! 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
As I've said before, it's absolutely impossible for me to pick one best DS ep. However, whenever a question like that comes up, I always single out Eps #690 & #691 as two of my absolute favorites and lament the fact that Ralph Ellis only wrote those two eps. They're so fantastic, so I can totally understand where you're coming from, Cousin_Barnabas.  [nodassent]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 10:32:46 PM »
I agree with you 100%, MB.  I wonder what Dark Shadows would have been had Ralph Ellis written more scripts for the show.   

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 11:18:50 PM »
I love the same two episodes as you do, and would like to add one of my favorite moments from ep. 696. Barnabas stands in the empty foyer at Collinwood and addresses Quentin, who has trapped David and Amy upstairs: I will find them. Do you hear me? You won’t have any of them--not Maggie, not David, not Amy. I will take them from you.

I love all those JF moments--he does them so well.

Dinner is reaching critical mass, so I'll have to think some more and come back later!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 10:14:35 PM »
I doubt I could pick just one episode as "the best," but it's very refreshing to see a fan write something like this about something other than the usual suspects--Barnabas is released from his coffin, Barnabas reminisces about the death of Josette to a terrified Carolyn and a thoughtful Vicki, Angelique curses Barnabas, etc.

Best,  G.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 05:46:26 AM »
I hate to call this a favorite episode.  It’s in Leviathan, which is my least favorite storyline, and there are so many wonderful things in lots of other episodes that I wouldn't know where to begin to choose.  But, this one episode had one incredible confrontation after another that make it really stand out. 

It looks like it will be coming up in the Watching Project soon, so I’ll do it as a spoiler.

[spoiler]Barnabas shows up to see Angelique (Mrs. Sky Rumson), and they always have good confrontations.  This time he tries to tell her that Sky is with the Leviathans and she won’t believe it.  Right after, she meets Sky’s visitor, who is Nicholas Blair!  So, now she knows.  She and Nicholas then have a scene.  After that she has it out with Sky, who is later sent by Nicholas to kill her.  Bam - bam - bam, one after another, these fantastic scenes.[/spoiler]
Josette

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 03:10:23 PM »
The Leviathans aren't my favorite story line either, but that's a great choice, Josette!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 03:18:48 PM »
I almost forgot--there is a wonderful scene with Quentin and Chris coming up soon. Too bad they couldn't have had more like it. I don't remember which number it is or I'd know who wrote it.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 02:46:46 AM »
That's a really good choice, Josette.

The writers really dropped the ball with Quentin and Chris.

One of my favorite moments is in Leviathan when

[spoiler]Liz looks down at Paul, whom she thinks has been knocked out by a drug, and tells him:  "How did you think I would EVAH take you back?"  And then turns contemptuously away.  It's a great moment for those who have seen the 1966/67 storyline, and probably the Liz character's last moment of glory on the series.[/spoiler]

G.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 07:42:54 AM »
I love the same two episodes as you do, and would like to add one of my favorite moments from ep. 696. Barnabas stands in the empty foyer at Collinwood and addresses Quentin, who has trapped David and Amy upstairs: I will find them. Do you hear me? You won’t have any of them--not Maggie, not David, not Amy. I will take them from you.

I just watched this episode tonight.  It was a great moment!  I think the scene where Maggie confronts Quentin is coming up on my viewing schedule.  I remember that as another spectacular scene.

I doubt I could pick just one episode as "the best," but it's very refreshing to see a fan write something like this about something other than the usual suspects--Barnabas is released from his coffin, Barnabas reminisces about the death of Josette to a terrified Carolyn and a thoughtful Vicki, Angelique curses Barnabas, etc.

Thanks, G.  There are a lot of moments in the series that aren't tentpole events that deserve praise.  I tend to think of myself as a fan who views Dark Shadows through a wide lens.  There are so many nuances that are just begging to be appreciated, so many phenomenal scenes that you will never see show up on a "Best of" DVD. 

I hate to call this a favorite episode.  It’s in Leviathan, which is my least favorite storyline, and there are so many wonderful things in lots of other episodes that I wouldn't know where to begin to choose.  But, this one episode had one incredible confrontation after another that make it really stand out. 

Barnabas and Angelique have so many wonderful moments together.  This is one of them.  In fact, I believe the relationship between Barnabas and Angelique is far more enjoyable outside of the framework of 1795. 

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 08:00:08 PM »
My favorite episode(s) is when the dream curse ends, and Julia and Willie [spoiler]bury Barnabas and then prepare to leave town.  Mostly for the interactions between Julia and Proffessor Stokes, the latter of whom plays it totally straight when a doctor who he barely knows enters the room and starts hysterically screaming about how she buried a mutual acquaintance alive.  Stokes has so many great lines, and is not accepting Julia's ridiculous web of evasions, lies and insane behavior.  Personally, I really preferred it when Stokes was adversarial with B/J as opposed to just part of their team.  [/spoiler]
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2015, 09:40:18 PM »
there's so many to choose from but if I had to pick the one that gave me the most goosebumps when I first saw it it's the episode with the séance that sends Vicki back to 1795. it was DS perfection.

and obviously episode one is in a class by itself.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2015, 11:13:23 PM »
Some excellent choices here. I'm going to go with a different seance, from #642. It's the seance where Magda speaks through Carolyn and warns them about Quentin, though the people at the seance typically have no idea who or what she is referring to. The episode is rather unique, as it brings three different plot threads together: Vicki's search for Jeff/Peter. Chris' fear of being discovered as a werewolf. The early phases of the haunting of Collinwood.

It's also unique because it's Professor Stokes in charge. Julia and Barnabas are not around. This and the episode where Elizabeth, Roger and Carolyn go exploring in the west wing shows them functioning as an actual family and being far more proactive than in most other storylines.

Josette, I absolutely love the scene that you selected. It showed great insight into both Angelique and Barnabas, that, after their experiences in 1897, that their relationship has evolved to a different level. It seemed quite natural here. I found their reconciliation towards the end of 1840 somewhat forced and nowhere near as moving.
Fade Away and Radiate