Author Topic: ** No Resurrection For Shadows **  (Read 3421 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
** No Resurrection For Shadows **
« on: July 15, 2004, 07:31:37 PM »
The Sci-Fi Wire has posted an item about the WB pilot in which WB chairman, Garth Ancier, places the failure of the pilot at the feet of director P J Hogan. He also claims that if John Wells had tried to persuade the WB to move forward with the series despite their disappointment with the finished pilot, the WB would have - but Wells never approached them. Hmmm...

You can read the entire piece here.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: ** No Resurrection For Shadows **
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 08:00:07 PM »
Huh. sounds like backpedalling to me, plus ye passing of ye olde bucke...

G.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 09:29:47 PM »
I think the entire article makes everyone involved sound like an idiot.

Garth Ancier says "It was wonderfully produced by John Wells,...very well written".  But then he says it just didn't "gel the way we hoped it would".

What does that mean, exactly?  Were the actors hopeless?...the sets hideous?.....the costumes appalling?  What?!!

Then he goes on to praise Rob Goldman, the director who was supposed to do it......but they lost him along the way and ended up with another director who, despite being "accomplished" in movie making, apparently didn't know how to make a TV pilot.  So who takes the blame for hiring someone who didn't know how to make TV pilots?

And just to be sure no one understands this mess at all, he concludes by referring to the pilot as "unsalvageable"  ....but then seems to lay all the responsibility on John Wells for not wanting to go forward...implying that if he had, it would have happened.

With an "unsalvageable" pilot?

These people all make extraordinary amounts of money for what they do.  Is it too much to ask for them to own up to mistakes made, choices botched, and failures produced?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 10:35:41 PM »
I am too equally confused about all this.

First why did John Wells abandoned the finished Pilot? Was Wells so professionally embarrassed by the finished product that he knew that this pilot could never be fixed and/or sell it to another network as filmed?

Maybe the WB should blame itself because I thought that the WB forced Hogan on the DS producers after not wanting Curtis to direct the pilot.

Next question. Is it too late for Wells to ask the WB to have the pilot re-filmed with a new director?

I noticed that nothing was mentioned about the WB's efforts(if any) to shop the pilot to another network. Interesting.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 08:26:53 PM »
Rob Goldman? ???  Shouldn't that be Bowman?

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 10:12:23 PM »
Rob Goldman? ???  Shouldn't that be Bowman?

Hi Midnite. Yes Ancier should have said Bowman if he did say the incorrect name. Not sure what to make of Ancier. Is he telling the public the truth when he said, in effect, that Wells simply walked away after seeing the completed filmed pilot and never had any discussions with the WB to try to fix some of the problems and if he did we would have a new Dark Shadows series?. I would have to assume that there must have been something that was salvageable in the pilot. Ancier does seem to be telling us the truth somewhat when he said that the pilot's direction was not so great ( Jim Pierson recently stated on a radio broadcast that there were some things that Hogan did that worked and some things that did not work).

I also find it difficult to believe that Wells would have also simply walked away and abandoned Dan Curtis.

I just want to believe that Dan Curtis is not giving up on this project.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 10:28:23 PM »
It's Goldman in the article.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 11:15:08 PM »
I would have to assume that there must have been something that was salvageable in the pilot. Ancier does seem to be telling us the truth somewhat when he said that the pilot's direction was not so great ( Jim Pierson recently stated on a radio broadcast that there were some things that Hogan did that worked and some things that did not work).

Hi, jimbo.  Thanks for letting us know what Pierson said.  Hopefully the broadcast will be archived on the website in the next few days, but I was really just interested in the part about the new DS.  ;)

The Hartford Courant article that Stuart summarized on his news page gives us the same party line in regard to putting the blame on Hogan and there being "no salvageable scenes."  I'm not trying to step on Stuart's toes, but I was anxious to see the comments in context and if anyone else is interested in reading the full article go to: WB Isn't Aiming Just For Young Crowd Anymore.

Anyway, the comments in the 2 articles do seem to be in direct opposition to the review on the Creature Corner site by the viewer who called it terrific and had mostly positive things to say about it.

I also find it difficult to believe that Wells would have also simply walked away and abandoned Dan Curtis.

I just want to believe that Dan Curtis is not giving up on this project.

So, was it shopped around or not, and if so, who did the shopping-- Wells or DCP?

Questions, questions.  ::)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 02:32:52 AM »
Hi, jimbo.  Thanks for letting us know what Pierson said.  Hopefully the broadcast will be archived on the website in the next few days, but I was really just interested in the part about the new DS.  ;)

The Hartford Courant article that Stuart summarized on his (URL) page gives us the same party line in regard to putting the blame on Hogan and there being "no salvageable scenes."  I'm not trying to step on Stuart's toes, but I was anxious to see the comments in context and if anyone else is interested in reading the full article go to: (URL).

Anyway, the comments in the 2 articles do seem to be in direct opposition to the review on the Creature Corner site by the viewer who called it terrific and had mostly positive things to say about it.

You are welcome midnite. Wish there was more to report but the interviewer asked the question about the new DS Pilot with only a minute left in the Q&A and he actually cut off Pierson as the time expired. Jim also added that there were some creative differences within the pilot's production.

Thanks for the link.I do find it very hard to believe Ancier when he said "that there were no salvageable scenes". There obviously must have been some real good scenes as the writer reflected at the Creature Corner. That is why, in addition to my previous statements, it seems to me that Ancierhas some credibility issues. I do not believe he is telling us the complete truth and/or has left out some pertinent details. He is making Hogan and Wells look like some unprofessional clueless fools.

So, was it shopped around or not, and if so, who did the shopping-- Wells or DCP?

Questions, questions.  ::)

That is a good question. If the WB believed that there were no salvageable scenes, I doubt very much that they attempted to shop this pilot to the networks.

The truth is out there. lol

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 10:00:59 AM »
Some back pettling has also been done regarding the cancellation of Angel here.  Now Garth Ancier blames 20th Century for demanding an early answer to Angel's renewal.  Makes me believe there is no end to the spin here.  Angel fans are heating up their coffee.... ;)

It makes me pause and wonder if this guy is telling the truth or not.  These comments were said at the fall press "preview" or spin show as the case may be.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2004, 03:27:58 PM »
Some back pettling has also been done regarding the cancellation of Angel (URL).  Now Garth Ancier blames 20th Century for demanding an early answer to Angel's renewal.  Makes me believe there is no end to the spin here.  Angel fans are heating up their coffee.... ;)

It makes me pause and wonder if this guy is telling the truth or not.  These comments were said at the fall press "preview" or spin show as the case may be.

Well, the WB always claimed that they want at least one vampire show on its schedule. I am not sure if Angel's top actors would want to to a TV movie as opposed to a theatrical version.

Perhaps DCP and JWP and the WB can all chip in a million dollars each to reshoot the "unsalvageable scenes" in the pilot with Dan Curtis directing.

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2004, 05:17:59 PM »
I'm not trying to step on Stuart's toes, but I was anxious to see the comments in context...

Quite right too - wherever possible, I always link direct to any reports quoted to make the reporting as transparent as I can.

As for the pilot, there's certainly some spin at work here, but that's pretty inevitable.  Between a change of regime, a shift in network policy, and a large amount of money spent on the production, I can understand why it's not being taken further.

Even were the incentive to reshoot there, investing another $3-5m on a project they clearly already have reservations about is somewhat unlikely.  It's easy for us as fans to speculate on costly reshoots, but we don't have our careers and the responsibility of multi-million budgets hanging over us. Added to that, as time ticks on, I think the window for a salvage operation is rapidly diminishing, as those involved are swiftly moving on to other things.

I think sometimes, through no real fault of anyone, a project just doesn't come together.  Irrespective of the quality of what was shot, or the work of those involved, I suspect that was the case here.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2004, 06:21:01 PM »
As for the pilot, there's certainly some spin at work here, but that's pretty inevitable.  Between a change of regime, a shift in network policy, and a large amount of money spent on the production, I can understand why it's not being taken further.

Even were the incentive to reshoot there, investing another $3-5m on a project they clearly already have reservations about is somewhat unlikely.  It's easy for us as fans to speculate on costly reshoots, but we don't have our careers and the responsibility of multi-million budgets hanging over us. Added to that, as time ticks on, I think the window for a salvage operation is rapidly diminishing, as those involved are swiftly moving on to other things.

I think sometimes, through no real fault of anyone, a project just doesn't come together.  Irrespective of the quality of what was shot, or the work of those involved, I suspect that was the case here.

I agree Stuart that sometimes a project for whatever reason does not gel. All we are left with is what if type of questions-what if Dan Curtis or Bowman had directed the pilot, etc....

I am also concerned about the black eye/negative press Dark Shadows has received in the media. I do not know the extent of this damage will have on pending or future Dark Shadows projects. Studios and networks may not want to hear about another DS revival for many years to come and that is very unfortunate. I do not know how but the DS producers need to do some type of damage control immediately. Besides the cancellations of both shows, this is a sad time for DS fandom and we can use something real positive here. Thank goodness the Fest is only a short time away.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 01:09:01 AM »
Can I ask a naive question?
Do the actors get paid even if it's never seen?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2004, 04:56:25 PM »
Hopefully the broadcast will be archived on the website in the next few days

To download the Sci-Fi Overdrive broadcast --

http://www.interstellartransmissions.com
Select SFOD
Look for July 12
Click Hour Three:  Jim Pierson - Dark Shadows

I was really just interested in the part about the new DS.  ;)

It's at the end of the interview.  Regarding the finished product, Jim sez:

"The pilot was shot as a 1 hour program for the WB and they were very high on it.  And unfortunately, creatively, the end result did not come out the way we had all hoped for.  And, the director of the pilot ended up being a feature guy named P.J. Hogan and he went for some different looks, and some of it worked and some of it didn't."  <Time ran out and he never did answer the question he was asked, which was if the show is being shipped to another network.>