Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0935  (Read 1214 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0935
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:06:31 PM »
Robservations #935

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0935

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 07:17:49 PM »
Well, we all have characters and/or arcs that we don't like.

jebEZ Hawkes..........i c k

Why don't Oberon & Hesbola (I know that's incorrect) come and teach jebEZ Hawkes that he is not to toss aside the teachings & tenants of the book?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 03:56:31 PM »
I think you mean Haza.  [snow_smiley]

Welcome, Chris Pennock! Jeb's almost-first line is, It’s pretty cool having a gun pointed at me on my first day in town.

Julia of course checks for the strange birthmark on Jeb's wrist, but he's wearing a watch with one of those wide straps that were stylish way back when.

The sheriff's wife apparently is one of the best customers at the antique shop. How is that possible on a lowly sheriff's salary? Maybe the sheriff has a protection racket going on the side.

Jeb admires himself in a hand mirror just before Barnabas comes to scold him for killing Paul. So Jeb is not only a murderer but also vain. We needed Paul  Stoddard, Barnabas insists. I didn’t need Paul, Jeb retorts. I hated him, so he had to go. I’d much rather talk about Carolyn. Bring her to me now! [If you’ve been sulking in a box for a couple of millennia, I suppose you’re bound to miss some things.] She’s at Collinwood under heavy sedation, Barnabas says, trying to forget her loss--the loss that you caused, he adds pointedly. Airily Jeb assures Barnabas, Carolyn will forget everyone else when she’s seen me. And you’d better bring her fast, he warns, because I’m very unhappy. I don’t care whether you’re happy or not, Barnabas says heatedly, you’d better behave yourself and not leave your room in your natural state. Admiring his human form in the mirror again, Jeb says, There’s no reason to when I look like this--even though I like the way I really look much better. All right, Barnabas says irritably, like it, but keep it hidden! For heaven’s sake, control your hatreds and don't kill anyone! It felt good killing Paul Stoddard, Jeb says. Perhaps, Barnabas says, but you’ve created a problem. It was Paul Stoddard who sold Carolyn to us to be your bride. And according to the book, he had to give her away at the ceremony. For a nanosecond Jeb actually realizes he did make a mistake, then he laughs it off and tells Barnabas, Throw away the book--I do as I please! Mr. Barnabas Collins, if you’re so concerned about Carolyn, why don’t you give her away? Barnabas is startled and starts to refer to the book again, but Jeb shouts, I don’t care what the book says! I am not Joseph or Michael or Alexander anymore!. I am an adult now, and I want Carolyn--fast! Barnabas turns away from him, but we can see the worry in his face.

Julia visits Quentin and commits a classic blooper. Also, even now, she doesn't bring up the subject of Chris. Somehow Quentin has managed to keep his room at the Collins Port Inn, where he is pouring himself a drink when Julia comes to visit. Julia is truly grieved when Quentin tells her what happened to Amanda and how he found himself back in the land of the living. He adds, Even stranger, when I mentioned Olivia Corey to the hotel clerk, he said she had never registered. Julia speculates, Amanda was given a second chance at life (by Mr. Best). But when that chance failed, all traces of her life (Grayson actually says “lice”) disappeared. I’m sure the record will show that she died in 1897 [that is, when she threw herself off the footbridge after Quentin left her]. Everything has disappeared, Quentin agrees bitterly, except my love for her! I almost had her! he screams, waving his fist around. But he adds more quietly, Almost doesn't count, does it? Tell me, Doctor--what does count in the long, unhappy life of Quentin Collins? He answers his own question: Not much--not anymore. Someone you know needs your help desperately, Julia says quietly. I’m afraid for Barnabas. Something happened to him in the past that is forcing him to act this way. Quentin reminds her, I just lost the one woman I ever loved [besides Jenny, Beth, and who knows how many others]; I barely found my portrait; I’ve seen myself as I truly am. Julia urges him to take on this new interest. The important thing is that you’re here, she says, and the only one capable of doing what must be done. Because my strength is the strength of ten men because my heart is pure? Quentin retorts sarcastically. How am I supposed to explain myself? As Quentin Collins? Born in the nineteenth century? Once a ghost and a tormentor of children? Julia says gently, I’m sure there is a way if you will help Barnabas. Quentin says, I’m grateful for all of your help now and in the past. Let me think things over. Don’t worry, he adds, seeing her disappointment. I promise not to go anywhere without letting you know. And with that Julia must be content.

Julia meets up with Barnabas at Collinwood. Carolyn isn’t well, Julia reports, but she would be much worse if she knew how her father really died. Once again, Barnabas begs Julia, Please don’t concern yourself with things that are better left alone. I must be concerned when the people I love are being hurt by what is happening, Julia says--Carolyn for one, and yes, you yourself. She tells Barnabas her suspicions about Paul's death and pleads with Barnabas to let her help him, but he (1) insists there's nothing she can do; and (2) hints that the situation could be even worse than she suspects. We know this is an irresistible combination for Julia--Barnabas should know better, too.

At his office, Sheriff Davenport makes plans to arrest Jeb the next day for Paul's murder. Suddenly the office door flies open. Without looking up, the sheriff calls to whoever has walked in. The only reply is the sound of heavy breathing. The sheriff looks up in amazement and horror, screaming at his attacker to get away from him. He throws various articles of furniture at it (it never seems to occur to him to shoot it), but inevitably the Leviathan closes for the kill. At the end, the sheriff simply covers his face with his hands and screams.

Even as the sheriff screams his last, someone knocks on the door. After both the noise and the sheriff have died, Barnabas opens the door. First he sees the ruinous state of the room, then Sheriff Davenport lying dead on the floor, and finally-- Jeb Hawkes casually leaning against the wall. Barnabas says angrily, There is no need to ask what you have been doing here! It is all too obvious! Unconcerned, Jeb replies, But there is a need to ask you what _you_ are doing here--in the sheriff's office, Barnabas. You had better tell me! ....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 03:41:38 AM »
David Selby VO.  Davenport and Julia (and Phillip) are stunned to see the Todds' new lodger.  Welcome Christopher Pennock!!!  Nice to see a FB friend...  He's a good, generous, friendly guy (in reality), he'll FB-friend anyone!  Not so warm a welcome for cheap, insufferable pig Jebez Hawkes.  Oh no, I didn't realize Davenport died so soon... Well, it was time people started dying.  The Leviathans were starting to seem like all talk and no action, in the evil department.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 03:22:27 PM »
Well, it was time people started dying.  The Leviathans were starting to seem like all talk and no action, in the evil department.

*falls down laughing*

Don't worry, MT, this story line, like all the others, will end with the traditional corpse-littered stage.

Your comment reminds me of [spoiler]the immortal line of 1840PT Gabriel Collins, another CP character: I have too many people to kill![/spoiler]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 02:52:19 AM »
ok...itishim...him....good 'ol Mr. ChIPs himself:

jabEZ Hawkes

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

bbbbbbbbblllllllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

yyyyuuuuuucccccckkkkkkk

Give me Peter Bradford anyday, twice on Sundays.  [ghost_wub]

Patti

Where have Maggie, Roger, Liz and David been (I'm assuming Amy is turning 'violet')?
What a Woman!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 10:18:27 AM »
I think we generally warm to C Pennock as RT Gabriel, then we backpedal and start liking his other characters too.  I'm feeling the glow of his Facebook input, so while I once had a hard time with Jeb, I don't now.  Well, we'll see with this viewing.

DL, laughed at "I have too many people to kill!"  Thanks.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 05:40:25 PM »
Thanks, MT. There's a scene in PT1970 that CP should have won an award for, if they had an award for that character. He's a fine actor and I don't remember him clutching at his hair even once.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 06:25:09 AM »
There's a scene in PT1970 that CP should have won an award for, if they had an award for that character. He's a fine actor and I don't remember him clutching at his hair even once.

Chuckle.  What PT70 scene was it,  DL?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 02:31:41 PM »
I meant the scene where [spoiler]Barn brings Quentin to the cellar where Cyrus's body is lying on the floor after Barn strangled Yaeger. Pennock lies perfectly motionless while Barn and Quentin have a long conversation. If there was an Emmy for Best Portrayal of a Corpse, Pennock should have won it.  [ghost_grin][/spoiler]