Author Topic: Barnabas' green dressing gown  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Angelina

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Barnabas' green dressing gown
« on: July 12, 2004, 01:32:55 AM »
Hello all!  I'm new here & this is my first post.  I've recently began watching the Dark Shadows DVD sets and have become quite addicted.  I'm on set 4 now and it just keeps getting better!  I've got up to collection 7 so I'm set for a while too  :)

I also managed to get some of the old Marilyn Ross pbs from places like the Salvation Army, etc. and have been reading them.  They're a bit quaint but fun nonetheless -- just finished Barnabas, Quentin & the Hidden Tomb.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about Barn's green dressing gown/smoking jacket?  IE, is it a special design or anything, any specific era, pattern, etc?  (looks a bit frock coatish - but I don't know much about retro fashions.) I think it's gorgeous; he looks ever so fetching in it  ;)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Barnabas' green dressing gown
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 03:24:23 AM »
I am actually quite in love with that dressing gown.  I'd love to find somthing similar or at least the material to make my own.

IIRC, wasn't that same gown worn by Tony Blair (NICHOLAS!  I meant Nicholas!  ;D ) or Evan Hanley?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 03:42:18 AM »
IIRC, wasn't that same gown worn by Tony Blair (NICHOLAS!  I meant Nicholas!  ;D ) or Evan Hanley?

Good question, Nelson. Was it a different color, though? Grey/black print instead of green? Hmmm...

I liked Barnabas' dressing gown too...that would really come in handy during a cold northeast winter day.  :D  And that smoking jacket...oh yeah baby.  ;D

-Heather (who can't stand the humidity right now. *Think cool thoughts, think cool thoughts...* LOL)

p.s. Welcome, Angelina!  :)

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Angelina

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 09:21:19 PM »
Thank you!  I know what you mean about the humidity; I live in middle GA and its  so muggy.  Oh to be in Maine with the Collinses  :)

Actually, I love all those fancy smoking jackets the men in DS seem to wear.  Roger Collins and Jason MacGuire had some spiffing ones.  I enjoy admiring/critiquing the fashions almost as much as I do the plot lines.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 09:50:58 PM »
I enjoy admiring/critiquing the fashions almost as much as I do the plot lines.

If that's the case, Angelina, you MUST check out "Luciaphil's Idle Thoughts" ....which can be found listed on the Home Page.  She takes particular delight in discussing the Fashions of Dark Shadows.... ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 11:02:56 PM »
I too wonder about the green smoking one.  The red one seems from the Edwardian era to me.  I rather like how the green one defines his nice broad shoulders and slim waist. Roger also has a black one from the pre-Barnabas era that looks very nice on him. 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 08:07:34 AM »
I love the burgandy one he wears.  Yummy....  I have to wipe the drool off my chin whenever I see him in it.  The green one is nice as well.  Not many can wear green.  Joan Bennett and he can.

Nicholas kinda wears a gold looking pattern one and some other colors.  He looks hot in his as well.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 04:03:03 PM »
I think the dressing gown I am thinking of is the floor length one.  Black cuffs and lapels and heavly embroidered? brocaded? in silver and grey.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Angelina

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 09:41:20 PM »
I think the dressing gown I am thinking of is the floor length one.  Black cuffs and lapels and heavly embroidered? brocaded? in silver and grey.

That sounds like the one.  The green is v. shimmery and really suits Barn.  I think it might be brocaded but I'm not sure.  It's got kind of frock coat shape to it -- sort of flares out below the waist.

I wish I had a video capture card then I could get a snap.  It would make great computer wallpaper.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 11:12:43 AM »
I'm getting all fangirly thinking about Barnabas in that green dressing gown.  :P I can picture him standing by the fireplace, deep in thought. He turns slowly towards the person who is offering him a glass of Amontillado(sp).  :o
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Shadowsfan

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2004, 09:08:14 PM »
I wonder why Barnabas never dressed more casual ? ..seemed he usually wore a suit and tie ..he should have mixed it up like Roger and wear a turtleneck sometimes ..The burgundy jacket was becoming:)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2004, 11:58:12 PM »
b. had one smoking jacket-the black and grey brocade i believe-that he wore during the 1795 eps. as well as present day.the show had a rather low wardrobe budget. ::)
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 12:51:20 PM »
I wonder why Barnabas never dressed more casual ? ..seemed he usually wore a suit and tie ..he should have mixed it up like Roger and wear a turtleneck sometimes ..The burgundy jacket was becoming:)

I don't think he was able to get past his 18th century upbringing....he secretly may have thought Roger etc looked like 'stable hands'.

Didn't we see Chris Pennock in a smoking jacket?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2004, 11:24:35 AM »
I don't recall the smoking jacket for Chris Pennock. Did he wear it during his Gabriel Collins role?

I was thinking that a lot of the men wore a smoking jacket at one time or other with few exceptions. It seems that the higher  in life your character was (or you aspired to be ala Jason MacGuire) a smoking jacket was a part of your wardrobe.

I thought that Nicholas Blair looked mighty fine in his.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 06:45:09 PM »
I don't recall the smoking jacket for Chris Pennock. Did he wear it during his Gabriel Collins role?

Believe so....
What a Woman!