Author Topic: Grayson Question  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Grayson Question
« on: July 07, 2004, 05:10:01 AM »
Well, I could've posted this on that other list I belong to but... what the hey.  :D
Okay, I'm slowly sifting through the collection of DS tapes I've accumulated over the years. I'm rewatching the series from the beginning, but once in a while I start going into Grayson/Frid withdrawl so I pop in a later tape...LOL.  Anyway, I've been watching some of the more emotional scenes...my question is, did Grayson really cry during some of those moments (when she was playing Julia, I mean -- or any of the other characters she played for that matter)? I read once that she summoned a few tears when she played Magda, but I swear I saw tears in her eyes the other day (I think it was during the famous episode when Grayson was basically the only character; alone in the house during a thunderstorm). Excuse my enthusiasm but...I just LOVED that!  :-*  ;D

-Heather (who's been known to cry at the drop of a freakin' hat...chuckle)   ::)  ;)

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Grayson Question
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 04:25:55 PM »
Hi Heather,

there's a famous story Terrayne Crawford has told about Grayson and herself off on their own rehearsing a scene they had together (this happened quite a lot on the DS set while the actors were waiting for a special effect to be set up).  Grayson suggested that they try some of the "method acting" type technique in their scene, which was an emotional one (I'm guessing one of the Beth/Magda scenes).  At the end of the taping, Grayson turned to Terrayne beaming and announced, "look, I cried real tears!"  She used to say that if she needed to cry, all she had to do was think of a certain tie her Dad used to wear... so excruciating was it that the tears flowed on cue...

Grayson had several teachers and kept honing her craft for years.  The most influential of her teachers, I think, was Constance Collier.  Collier compared Grayson's personality as an actress to the celebrated Italian tragedienne Eleanor Duse, and gave Grayson a charcoal drawing of Duse as a tribute and a source of personal inspiration.  I believe that Collier did not emphasize the Stanislavsky bit to the degree that other teachers (such as Strauss) did... There was more of an emphasis upon technique and problem-solving, I think.

Best wishes,

Steve

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 08:15:52 PM »
Hi guys....

[spoiler]I believe the Magda scene was when she finds out that Jenny had children (and so they are cursed as well) -- "I deeeeed not know..."  It looked like she came up with some tears.[/spoiler]

Who else on the show was actually able to cry???  I can't think of too many.  Nancy Barrett summoned the tears very well.  David Henesy too.  The scene where Jamison tells Quentin he hates him - oh, that was EXCELLENT.  He was so good.  Then of course there's Mr. David "Cry me a river" Selby (well, maybe not a river).  The scene after Beth has fallen from the cliff - he's standing there re-living it, his eyes filled with tears.   :'(
Plus in 1970 Parallel when Angelique has put that spell on him and he's going off the deep end.  I can think of three instances when he summoned real tears.  One in particular is in Cyrus' lab when he's trying to explain this deep pain that rocks him and he doesn't know where it's coming from.

Can anyone else think of other actors and scenes where someone is REALLY crying?  My mind's a blank.

:'(   :'(  :'(

;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 05:00:49 PM »
Many Thanks Steve and Connie...  :-*  And thanks for answering my question! :)
Call me silly, but that's something I really admire. I remember one time when Catherine (PT 1841) was supposed to be crying...I was sitting there thinking, "phhht--you call those tears??"  LOL   It was obvious they werent--very shiny and a bit too perfect.  ;)

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 05:05:16 PM »
i recall maggie evans eyes watering up several times during the early pre barn eps, when she would have moments of dispair with POP.......[spoiler]trying to get him to tell her the secret of his complicity with roger in the manslaughter charge that sent my buddy burke up the river for 5 years.[/spoiler]  Sam would be in a drunken and verbally abusive state several scenes during that time......and poor maggie (KLS), those big brown eyes just welled up with tears.......i always thought she played the sympathetic daughter so well........little did she know what tortures of the damned were in store for her character in later episodes.......... :-X
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 03:27:52 AM »
johnathan frid/aka barnabas collins often gets all the cred for the shows success.but the deeper i get into the grayson hall eps. the more i love her and appreciate the complexity she brought to dr. hoffman.i think she's one of the show's most underestimated players.when she screams and becomes hysterical however things get campy real fast.[spoiler]i just saw the ep. where julia discovers the incomplete body in dr. lang's lab.her reaction considering she has been experimenting on a vampire for a year is totally over-the-top! ::)[/spoiler]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 01:41:05 PM »
Possible FDSMS (for newbies, that's Faulty Dark Shadows Memory Syndrome...we all have it!):

IIRC, Ben Stokes circa 1795 cries about Barn.

Also, doesn't 1966 Laura shed some tears (crocodile) about David?

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 01:06:32 PM »
johnathan frid/aka barnabas collins often gets all the cred for the shows success.but the deeper i get into the grayson hall eps. the more i love her and appreciate the complexity she brought to dr. hoffman.i think she's one of the show's most underestimated players.when she screams and becomes hysterical however things get campy real fast.

Of course i would say im unbiased but i'm not .. still I agree that Grayson was quite talented (and that in fact is why i soo admire her), sometimes a bit over but then (as I understand it), she had a director telling her "make it bigger/bigger!"  and she was theatrically trained. . .big motions required but most telling is that Richard Burton once said of her. .that she could sit absolutely still and still monopolize the camera. . ..And if you watch her 2nd scene in NIght of  Iguana that is what she does. . sits next to him, says a few choice words and then stares straight ahead . ..And she dominates rather than Le Burton. . .Also. . .we all think of Dr Hoffman in very specific ways.  .her personality, what she'd do and not do.. . and i think Dr Julia Hoffman was 180 degrees from Grayson Hall. . .which is a testament as well. . .I believe Grayson called Julia "a straight ass" now would Julia say that about anyone? No, she seems a bit too proper. . .shall i drone on more. .okay .. i'll stop
Julia99

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 08:55:57 PM »
Dr Julia Hoffman was 180 degrees from Grayson Hall. . .which is a testament as well. . .I believe Grayson called Julia "a straight ass" now would Julia say that about anyone? No, she seems a bit too proper. . .shall i drone on more. .okay .. i'll stop

PT[/i] Julia might say that...  at least in my mind.  ;D

Hey--I'd like to hear you drone on more...

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 11:36:50 AM »
I love Dr. Julia too.  My fave next to my beloved Barnabas.  What a team they made! She certainly should get the credit she deserves for helping make the show the success that it was.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2004, 03:21:56 PM »
I love Dr. Julia too.  My fave next to my beloved Barnabas.  What a team they made! She certainly should get the credit she deserves for helping make the show the success that it was.

Well after she died.. .Frid said she saved his butt every day .. . at least he knew it. (Plus she fed him dinner every night apparently .. )
Julia99

Offline Angelina

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2004, 06:23:42 PM »
Well after she died.. .Frid said she saved his butt every day .. . at least he knew it. (Plus she fed him dinner every night apparently .. )

They had such great chemistry; I love their scenes together.  Together they could go through seemingly dozens of different emotions and tones all in one scene without crossing over into overdone hamminess (though they were just hammy enough to keep it captivating).

Nice to hear they were fond of one another in real life too.  Jonathan Frid deserves all the credit he gets but others deserve that credit also...he's right to point it out.

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2004, 01:15:42 AM »
i wish i had a lobster roll for every time Barn had threatened to kill J U L I A during the series run. :-[
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2004, 01:32:07 AM »
(Plus she fed him dinner every night apparently .. )

J99...that's neat to hear...I don't suppose you have any more details or specifics? (Hmm...we need their son!!)

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2004, 01:59:33 AM »
i wish i had a lobster roll for every time Barn had threatened to kill J U L I A during the series run. :-[

True (those early B&J scenes are intense to say the least) but I think their relationship evolved to something much deeper (and genuine) as time went by...especially near the end of the series.  :)