Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0927  (Read 1317 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0927
« on: April 30, 2015, 05:50:04 PM »
Robservations #927

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0927

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 06:21:03 PM »
Creep  [snow_smileydevil]

Die Jerk!

Poor Maggie.

It's mentioned how Barnabas & Philip are 'rethinking' their alliance w/Levis. David is as well.

Wouldn't it be cool if Petofi's hand was put on Michael's shoulder!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 07:40:20 PM »
Wow, Patti, wouldn't that have been a plot twist! But instead Maggie knocks out poor Philip, who only came to rescue her.

Maggie escapes and runs straight to Julia, thinking that Philip is dead. They go up to the storage room, unaware that Michael has been listening--and gloating. He gloats all the way to the antique shop, where he gloats to Megan that Philip is dead. She actually puts on her coat and goes to Collinwood, ignoring Michael's screams that she's ignoring him. Michael vents his anger on some innocent antiques.

Megan bursts into Collinwood and is practically hysterical when Julia says she can't see Philip--but doesn't explain why not.

Michael is actually picking up some of the antiques he threw around the store when someone comes into the shop. Without looking up, Michael says the shop is closed. A hand reaches down, grabs his shoulder, and turns him around. Michael gasps when he sees Philip, hale and well except for a bruise on his forehead. With utter contempt and fury, Philip reads Michael the riot act about terrorizing Maggie. Getting to his feet, Michael says, I didn’t mean it, I was only joking. I know you meant for Maggie to kill me, Philip tells him--but your strategy failed because Maggie wasn’t strong enough and the weapon wasn’t sharp enough. And now I am going to take care of you! he finishes. Michael shouts back defiantly, You can’t touch me! You know who I am! He has some idea of gaining the sanctuary of his room, where he is not just a little boy, but Philip grabs him and shouts, You are going to be sorry! Very sorry! Megan arrives and Michael runs to her arms. Even though he just tried to have her husband killed, she coos over him, then sends him off to her room. Megan and Philip wonder how they'll control him now, and Philip sadly remembers what their lives were like Before. But Megan instantly reverts to cult zombiehood.

Michael is gloating yet again while writing his name on the mirror in red lipstick. Megan comes in and tells him that although she doesn't even care what he did to Maggie, he's made himself too conspicuous. Something is about to happen to him that he won't like. Frightened, Michael covers his ears and refuses to listen. But Megan says, You must hear and accept as I must--no matter how lonely it makes me. This doesn’t make Michael feel any better.

Maggie arrives downstairs to check on Philip and is relieved to see that he didn't come to any real harm. Philip spins a tale that ever since Michael's parents died, he strikes out at anybody. I didn’t have any idea of this, Maggie says with compassion. You should talk to Dr. Hoffman. Philip smiles faintly at the idea that this might help.

Upstairs, Michael is throwing a Force 10 temper tantrum, screaming, Noooo! You can’t do this to me! I don’t want to, Megan tells him, but I must. You’re the only one who loves me, Michael says, and you’re the only one I love. Why don’t we run away? Then we won’t have to do what They want. We can’t run away, Megan says sadly, and we can’t be together--not anymore. You don’t love me! Michael rages. I do, Megan replies, and that’s why I’m willing to let you go. I don’t believe you, Michael says. I won’t love you anymore. I know, Megan replies--you will love Carolyn. As this thought occurs to Michael, he gets a lot calmer. He gets the lipstick, draws a giant heart around his name on the mirror, and writes in Carolyn’s name. This seems to confirm Megan’s theory, because she says with great decision, That proved it. There is no choice anymore. It must be done! Michael looks absolutely petrified.

Maggie and Philip are concluding their conversation and Maggie is thinking about going back to Collinwood when Megan runs down stairs and starts dialing the phone to call Julia. Something terrible has happened to Michael! she tells Maggie and Philip. Megan tells Julia, I found Michael unconscious, and I can’t bring him around! Julia promises to come right away. Philip consoles Megan as Maggie, now forgotten, slowly backs out of the shop, saddened by the news despite Michael’s tormenting of her.

Covered with the peripatetic brown afghan, Michael tosses and turns on Megan’s bed. I don’t want to be by myself, he raves. Julia finishes examining him and asks Megan what happened. He looked like something was coming on when he returned from Collinwood, Megan says, so I told him to lie down in my room. Then I found him lying unconscious on the floor. Philip comforts her, but she is nearly inconsolable. Julia says, Michael’s heartbeat is very irregular, and his vital signs are weak. She calls for an ambulance, but Michael, apparently in great pain, tosses and cries out, I don’t want to go, I am afraid! Megan comforts him, but suddenly he becomes quiet and very still. Megan calls Julia over, but Julia can’t get a pulse. He’s dying! Megan instantly screams. Julia says, Maybe I can shock him back to life. Don’t let him die! Megan implores her. Julia prepares to give Michael an injection.........

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 08:41:59 PM »
I understand what's going on but I don't understand what's going on.

I remember this episode like it was yesterday.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 11:01:40 AM »
Grayson VO.  I like DS's double cliffhangers, like this one.  #926 ended with the cliffhanger of Maggie raising the candlestick, and the teaser for #927 gives us a second cliffhanger just a second or two later, when the candlestick connects with Phillip's head... then the opening theme.  Then... Michael nonchalantly pops into the drawing room when Julia's there.  She gets nowhere interrogating him of course, Michael having the total unflappable cool of someone who thinks he knows for a fact that he will never have to answer to anyone.  Maggie rushes in right after he leaves, certain she's killed Phillip Todd.  As Julia examines the "body", someone rushed by in front of the screen.  I found myself imagining the meeting where Dan Curtis tells everyone "And if you can't get to your proper place in time without running in front of a live camera, do it!" 

Phillip goes after Michael, but after her enlightening talk with Barnabas, she knows he doesn't have to punish him, the matter's already in hand.  She quiets Phillip down, and tells Michael lovingly to wait in "my bedroom"... are the Todds in separate rooms now?  Another whole set-- do we see it again? 

Megan and Michael have a good scene there.  I actually really like how strangely and mysteriously the end for Michael is handled.  There's a lot to wonder at, and think about.  Megan is, at the same time, saying that they're about to kill him, and that he'll be better off after... apparently he continues on.  Yet... this death is treated as being as terrible as a real death.  Michael is certainly disturbed by it.   It's not just that he doesn't get to be a kid anymore.  The process itself must be agonizing, a real end in some sense.  [spoiler]We never do find out what's so awful about it for him.[/spoiler]

Michael reveals a bit of inhuman, otherworldly strangeness, not just in his reactions to what's going to happen, but to the subject of Carolyn.  I can't describe it.  Some odd gestures, etc, leading to his making a heart with his and her names on the mirror.  Creepy and not human. 

Megan's attitudes and reactions are interesting, too.  I get the sense she's genuinely upset and terrified for Michael, not just putting on a show for spectators, but she's able to switch it on and off at will.  Julia puts a needle to his arm to stimulate him back to life... end.  By Violet Welles.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 03:31:30 PM »
Those are great points about Michael, MT! It's almost as if the creature itself was born/spawned/whatever fully adult but for some unknown reason had to go through all the human growth stages. That's what (IMO) makes Michael's obsession with Carolyn so creepy. I suppose it must be uncomfortable to switch from one body to the next--maybe he goes through stages like a moth or something. Maybe Michael confided in Megan that it does hurt and that's why she's so anxious.

That would be DC all over--one take for everything, no matter what happens. In the big, dramatic scene where Angelique confronts the newly awakened vampire Barnabas, you can clearly see a tech guy crouched in a corner, surrounded by wires.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 11:20:38 PM »
Just how often has KLS been covering her mouth with her hand in this batch of episodes?!

It certainly seems like she's been doing it quite frequently.  [ghost_rolleyes]  But then maybe she was trying to create an affectation to fill the gap left by RD not being around to touch his hair!!  [ghost_grin]

And speaking of hair touching, maybe it was a good thing that Marie Wallace would be leaving DS before too long if she was starting to pick up bad habits from RD:

[ghost_shocked]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 12:16:44 AM »
 [ghost_cheesy] [ghost_cheesy] [ghost_cheesy]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 03:44:35 AM »
I thought that seeing the Meg capture too.... And I wonder about women covering their mouths with their hand in fear on TV back then... does/did anyone ever really do that?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 04:41:06 AM »
I do it all the time.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 05:41:11 AM »
Though KLS has been using it to express more than fear (for example, in the above capture she's using it to convey embarrassment and shame) - which is why the gesture is seemingly becoming dangerously close to correlating all too well with RD's convey all/any emotion hair touching...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 07:12:42 PM »
What can one say about this screen capture -

- except for maybe "Priceless!!"  [ghost_grin]