Author Topic: OT<Super Weird Question...  (Read 845 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
OT<Super Weird Question...
« on: April 28, 2015, 05:04:05 AM »
...and if I'm saying that, you know it's gonna be a doozie.

I'm sure this may differ from state-to-state, but, I don't think it would be that dissimilar.

In 1969, my maternal Great Grandmother died. (My mat. g. grandfather died before my mom was born).

There's markers (not tomstones). My GGM has a 'double' (obviously, for her & her husband).
Within a horseshoe shape, from left to right, it's another double (my grandparents), blank lot, my mother's marker, I *believe* another blank lot, then, the double for GGPs.

Does anyone know if there's a statute of limitations on any cemetery keeping records of which plots belong to whom? And when and by whom they were purchased?

(I believe we've probably at least once in our lifetimes have heard on our local news, that so-and-so was to be buried in their paid for plot, but when they went to dig the grave, there was someone already in the aforementioned paid for plot.)

My ggfather remarried and was buried next to his second wife. And, I'm almost positive there's at least one more paid for no one's occupying plot.

Since they couldn't have put up a double-marker (my ggmother's name is on the one side, other side blank) if it wasn't paid for.....who does it belong to now. Could they have 'double' sold it??

I sent an email to NJ Bar Assn., but don't think it's going to be much of a rush job.

I don't want my family ripped off.

Anyone having dealt with this type of issue (doesn't matter what state you're in), could you please PM me?

Again,,,,,this is my family, so, it concerns me.

Thanks for letting me put this here; I hope I wasn't too incoherent....just gruesome.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT<Super Weird Question...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 05:03:41 PM »
I did have something similar happen to me, Patti. The cemetery should have records going back to its inception. But be aware that older records, especially going back before World War II, may be somewhat incomplete. They probably exist in the physical sense but may not be in any database.

I needed to locate my grandmother's plot in Maine. (Lewistown, not Collinsport). I knew that she was buried with Uncle Arthur, whom I had never met. They found Arthur easily enough but grandmother wasn't with him. After some tense moments, I realized that Arthur was his American name. He also had a French name, which turned out to be Adelard. With that bit of information, they were able to locate the plot.

A little nail biting, to be sure, but I don't think that anyone had asked for that information in years.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 04:58:10 AM »
Uncle Roger, thanks so much for answering my 'odd' question.

So, I was correct in thinking legally, they (cemetary) would HAVE to have records of when, who & how many were purchased....?

Do you (or anyone else) know if they would say, "Why do you want to know"...it's hard since I'm living out of state.

THanks again sweetie :)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 12:38:20 PM »
They shouldn't have any problem with you inquiring. I would let them know that you're family and that should take care of things. It's been 30 years now and I don't believe they ever asked me to prove my family connection. (I never called though. I just drove up there.)
Fade Away and Radiate