Author Topic: New Forum Questions  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
New Forum Questions
« on: June 24, 2004, 01:06:42 PM »
Okay, first...if I 'click' on a cousins name, for days/weeks later, their name will be slightly bolder (capice?).

Second, I'm noticing that in a topic there will be a new tag; but, it will be stuff I've already read.

Case in point, yesterday, from home I read Vlad's response to Gerard's IChing; today at work (different day/different IP), it said new, but it was what I had already read.

(I had noticed this I thought a few days ago, but wasn't positive, so I didn't mention it.)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 06:27:29 PM »
Okay, first...if I 'click' on a cousins name, for days/weeks later, their name will be slightly bolder (capice?).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "for days/weeks later," but whenever you pass your mouse cursor over any of the forum's links, they become brighter and bolder.

Second, I'm noticing that in a topic there will be a new tag; but, it will be stuff I've already read.

Case in point, yesterday, from home I read Vlad's response to Gerard's IChing; today at work (different day/different IP), it said new, but it was what I had already read.

That's happening from time to time (it happened to me for the first time yesterday). But remember, when I announced the conversion to this new system, I said:

Also, keep in mind that this system is still in beta testing form. During our trial runs with it we didn't come across any problems, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't any. ...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 08:51:09 PM »
if I 'click' on a cousins name, for days/weeks later, their name will be slightly bolder (capice?).

It's very subtle, but I've noticed it since the first SMF version, and it's any link on the forums, including those to boards and posts that you see in Who's Online, for example.  But this isn't different than seeing links change colors on websites to indicate that you've visited them recently; cookies on your computer store information about what pages you've viewed.  When these particular cookies expire, the links aren't bold anymore.

Cookies FAQ  (I hear MB makes a mean chocolate chip.  :P)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 09:28:40 PM »
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "for days/weeks later,"

It's very subtle, but I've noticed it since the first SMF version, and it's any link on the forums, including those to boards and posts that you see in Who's Online, for example.

Oh! You were talking about visited links. 

But this isn't different than seeing links change colors on websites to indicate that you've visited them recently

Yes, on other sites the color change may be more dramatic, but unless the Webmaster intentionally codes links to remain the same color even after they've been visited, a change happens on every Web site.  ;)

(I hear MB makes a mean chocolate chip.  :P)

Soft, moist, and dripping with chocolate.  ;D

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 09:36:19 PM »

Ohhhhhh!  You're killin' me! 

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 11:57:07 PM »
(I hear MB makes a mean chocolate chip.  :P)

:o   OMG...LMAO!!   ;D 

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 01:05:35 AM »
DOES EVERYONE ELSE NOTICE THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE ADDITIONAL SMILIES???

(act like they run everything for free in their spare time or something....yeesh!!) ;D

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 04:04:53 AM »

I could have been responsible for that.  I'm not sure but this might have been a post that I modified several hours after I wrote it.  I added to another post I had written and re-wrote one that I made to the I-Ching thread -- didn't realize that re-writing one's post later could potentially create problems from the moderators' perspective.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 04:10:21 AM »
I could have been responsible for that.  I'm not sure but this might have been a post that I modified several hours after I wrote it.  I added to another post I had written and re-wrote one that I made to the I-Ching thread -- didn't realize that re-writing one's post later could potentially create problems from the moderators' perspective.

I don't think Vlad's edit has anything to do with it.  It's been happening to me, too, the last few days and it wasn't just Vlad's posts.  So far it's just been 1 or 2 items a day, so it wasn't worth complaining about it, but I was thinking of asking about it if it continued.
Josette

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 04:13:49 AM »
While we're questioning the new forum - I've been wondering about the number of posts.  When the new forum was being prepared we were notified that some posts had been temporarily removed and so our totals were down.

I don't recall how many I had, but it was over 1000 and I think it might have been over 1100.  After that notice, it was down in the 900s.  It gradually made it's way back up to a little over 1000, but if all the old ones have been restored, presumably it should be higher.
Josette

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 04:19:28 AM »
Second, I'm noticing that in a topic there will be a new tag

Come to think of it, I've never seen any indication as to whether a post is new or if a thread has a new post in it ... I think that's what you're describing.  I haven't seen that on this forum since it was the Vantage Net site.  I'd actually forgotten about that feature, which was kind of nice to have.  Am I supposed to be seeing this? 

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 05:08:30 AM »
Patti, the additional smileys are unavailable at this time as reported earlier.  If you quote any of the posts you're referring to-- recent posts that have smileys you don't see in the smiley listing-- you'll see that the smileys were posted as image links.

Come to think of it, I've never seen any indication as to whether a post is new or if a thread has a new post in it ... I think that's what you're describing.  I haven't seen that on this forum since it was the Vantage Net site.  I'd actually forgotten about that feature, which was kind of nice to have.  Am I supposed to be seeing this?

Oh yes.  :)  For members, when a board has a new post, the diamond on the home page turns blue.  The same goes for the child boards.  And when a topic has a new post, a blue "new" tag" appears next to the title in the board listing.  Clicking on that new tag will take you directly to the first unread message in the topic.  The blue "new" tags in the new post itself, however, went out with YaBB SE.

I've noticed that how you access a post will affect whether or not these indicators disappear.  If you're accessing the topics through a direct link, or the posts through "show unread posts" or "view the 10 most recent posts", the blue new post indicators are less reliable.  I usually access posts through the board listings, and I've only seen a new tag reappear once, and it seems to be identical to the time Patti saw it and I can only assume it was due to a glitch.  But if you're seeing this happen that frequently, Josette, I suspect it's because of the route you're taking to access the posts and recommend that you use the "mark topics as read" feature when your session is finished.

Also, if a post is moved, split, or merged by a moderator after you've already read it, the blue indicators will come back on because the system is reading these as brand new posts.  These actions are probably happening a lot more than visitors realize. ;)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 05:37:14 AM »
I've been wondering about the number of posts.  When the new forum was being prepared we were notified that some posts had been temporarily removed and so our totals were down.

I don't recall how many I had, but it was over 1000 and I think it might have been over 1100.  After that notice, it was down in the 900s.  It gradually made it's way back up to a little over 1000, but if all the old ones have been restored, presumably it should be higher.

All the posts have been restored except for the Members Archive, and no, it shouldn't be higher.  But if we detail all the intricacies of our new system, there won't be anything left for members to discover on their own.  8)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2004, 07:42:19 AM »
  I usually access posts through the board listings, and I've only seen a new tag reappear once, and it seems to be identical to the time Patti saw it and I can only assume it was due to a glitch.  But if you're seeing this happen that frequently, Josette, I suspect it's because of the route you're taking to access the posts and recommend that you use the "mark topics as read" feature when your session is finished.

I do go to the board listings, choose a board (Calendar Events, Current Topics, etc.), go to the "new" tag furthest down and work my way up.  It was just the last 2 or 3 days when the first (least recent) post was one I had seen the day before.  Perhaps those were instances that you referred to when the moderators made a change.  I normally don't bother "marking as read" as I figure I've read them all and it will know!

-----
As to the number of posts, I really don't care, but I'd swear I was at least over 1000 and possibly 1100 before the changes, so I can't imagine why I'm just climbing over 1000 now.
Josette

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2004, 05:22:16 AM »
For members, when a board has a new post, the diamond on the home page turns blue.  The same goes for the child boards.  And when a topic has a new post, a blue "new" tag" appears next to the title in the board listing.  Clicking on that new tag will take you directly to the first unread message in the topic.  The blue "new" tags in the new post itself, however, went out with YaBB SE.

I see those features now, thanks.  Haven't tried clicking on the "new" tag yet but am excited to try.   ;D