Author Topic: OT>Traces  (Read 926 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
OT>Traces
« on: June 21, 2004, 11:49:33 PM »
You know how 'they' say everything you do on a 'puter is really on 'there'; even if you delete it?

Well, what about postings on here?

Where, if I were a computer forensic person, would I find postings on DS boards (obviously, not on DS board); on my ???? harddrive????

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: OT>Traces
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 06:56:40 AM »
I'm gonna take a stab at this but I may be totally wrong.
I don't think something you post on a message board would appear anywhere on your hard drive.  I think what "they" are talking about is when you already have some file on your drive and you delete it, it still isn't really deleted.  Some in-the-know computer person can dig it out of the drive somehow because it isn't actually erased -- the space is just allocated as free space or something.

BUT.....here's something I discovered...
Once I was searching for a file and a list of files came up and one of them was in this folder called content.IE5.  When I went to look for the folder which I had never heard of, it wasn't there - or more accurately, it didn't show up.  It's a hidden folder that IE uses.

When I clicked on the file that was within the folder and got access to the folder there were all these internet-type files in different folders and there were quite a few files from DS Forums -- mostly graphics from the board like smileys, people's avatars, etc.  Seems like IE uses these folders to store things from websites and stuff, I assume so that they will load faster or something.  Don't really know.

But anyway, I've seen programs advertised that are supposed to wipe all traces of whatever off your drive so that they can never be recovered by anyone, but never used one and don't know much about them.

Signed,
Free info from an unreliable source   ;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 01:23:45 PM »
Connie...I see IE5 all the time; and I've posted on here (not necessarily on IE5) that I'll come across random things; such as someone's own avatar, smilies, etc).

But, it's because I 'click' on things....and I magically stick them on my 'puter and then cannot get them out!!

Oh well, have a good day (hasn't it been nice Connie)!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 06:06:53 AM »
Not to make a political statement, but are the computer manufacturers in league with the FBI, CIA, attorney general, and the Patriot Act?

Why the inability of the computer owner to control what is, or is not, on his or her own personal possession?

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995