Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0925  (Read 900 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0925
« on: April 16, 2015, 07:55:59 PM »
Robservations #925

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0925

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 05:14:19 AM »
I absolutely do NOT believe that one of the adults wouldn't have smacked Michael in the face. This was 1969!

Come on somebody....send me some IChing wands and I'll go do it.

Please send the IChings to:

Patti is nuts
PO Box Looney Tunes
Belview, NY 12345

[snow_cheesy]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 03:22:22 PM »
Well, Philip actually had the kid over his knee in order to give him a spanking, but Megan intervened. Too bad.

Meanwhile, Maggie is stuck in the secret passage after hearing the Leviathan heavy breathing.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 01:29:46 AM »
Louis VO.  He mentions Barnabas in it... I thought, oh yeah, I remember that name from somewhere...  I hope Mr. Frid had a good rest... Poor Maggie, trapped again... if KLS hadn't been such a good screamer, maybe Maggie wouldn't now be a damsel in distress, rather than a slayer of j-e-r-ks...

Welcome back, Megan, in maroon turtleneck!  Michael, at Collinwood, is busy playing a board game that doesn't look like a board game or a game at all, with David... so who's heavy-breathing all over Maggie in the secret passage?  When Alexander was goofing with Paul Stoddard, Alexander was physically transforming to do it, he was physically there where the breathing sounds came from.

The psychology of Philip and Megan trying to reconcile their real mindset and their Leviathan programming is interesting.  This leads to Philip, absurdly, actually trying to play "responsible parent" to a creature bent on destroying the human world, and leads Megan to play totally doting parent.  (To process the contradictions, they're both finding some normal human role to play toward Michael.)  Her total protectiveness pushes her to come to the brink of threatening to kill Philip... then she wakes up a little, and backs down.

And she's one woman I totally buy a death threat from... Megan/Marie is at her most incredibly attractive when she's scariest and absolutely impossible to be around...  Michael gets Meg in the mood for murder... She gets the gun out, end...  By Gordon Russell.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 10:57:13 PM »
This has to be one of the most wacky screen caps of Megan:

Priceless! And I love the way Philip is looking at her...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 02:43:41 AM »
Sublime, MB.  I loved Chris Bernau and wish he had returned in another role.  He really had the DS affect (however one chooses to define that).  I mean, he got out one of the most infamous lines in the series without cracking even a hint of a smile:  "I'm just... plain ... SCARED."

I also feel that Marie's work as Megan was underrated.  This was a committed, believable performance. 

I do not think the faux "incest" angle would make it onto daytime today.

G.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 05:00:20 PM »
One of the saddest aspects of this story is watching Megan and Philip trying to cope with being the foster parents of the Leviathan creature. Both actors are excellent.

According to my notes, Michael storms out of the drawing room after arguing with David over the Wall Street board game. So he has plenty of time to transform and do the heavy-breathing thing on Maggie. Then later, when Roger returns home from work and is talking with David, Michael emerges from the servants' door and eavesdrops for a few moments. So I think the timing works, and we are meant to notice when Michael is there and when he-- isn't.

Philip comes to Collinwood to collect Michael, then frog-marches him back to the shop and tells Megan he thinks Michael has done something to David’s governess. Megan is shocked, shocked at this accusation. You know Michael is capable, Philip argues, but Megan wants to hear Michael’s side. That isn’t necessary, Philip cuts in, you just have to find out what he did to Maggie and where she is now. Michael smiles at Megan and tells her, I didn’t do anything, honest. Philip grabs him and turns him around. Leave Michael alone! Megan tells her husband. He’s hurting me! Michael claims. Philip!!!Megan shouts. I told you to stay out of this! he shouts back at her. He drags Michael to the stairs and actually turns the kid over his knee for the spanking of a lifetime. Don’t you dare lay a hand on him! Megan shouts. If you do, you’ll be sorry! Philip stares at her, then lets him go. Michael instantly rushes to Megan’s arms as if her were a much younger child. She hugs him and strokes his hair. He won’t hurt you, she coos, no one will hurt you. Philip stares at her in utter consternation, then goes upstairs without another word.

This is followed by yet another creepy Michael scene. Michael says, He hates me and will never understand me--and for that reason, we are going to fail. He talks about the cause sometimes, but he doesn’t really believe in it--not like you and I do, he adds as he strokes Megan’s face just as Barnabas did Julia’s, and with the same effect. There is nothing more important than what we believe in, is there? he says. No, Megan replies, mesmerized, there is nothing more important. I don’t think Philip should be one of us any more, Michael says. Megan agrees. You should do something about it, Michael tells her. Wild-eyed now, Megan agrees again. Michael leaves the shop. Megan opens the lid of the shop desk and takes out a revolver. Holding it up, she slowly starts up the stairs........