Author Topic: 1795:a query  (Read 4799 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: 1795:a query
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2004, 08:30:51 AM »
Part of the appeal of 1795 for me was the clothing.  Even though the other past time periods have lots of lovely period clothing (I'm not going into whether or not they are accurate), my recollection of the colors and general style of 1795 seems superior to the others.

Then, there is seeing Barnabas as a "young" and good man - as he was alive - before anything happened to him and learning how it all happened.  Plus there was the introduction of Angelique and as evil as all her doings were, they were certainly fun to watch.

Also, the overall storyline was fairly compact.  They had a good story, told it, eventually brought it to an end.  As much as I love most of 1897 and marvel at how they managed to keep so many disparate aspects of the story going and get them to work together, it does seem much more sprawling and meandering.
Josette

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2004, 01:34:45 PM »
Josette..I too love this period.

I love when Barnabas meets the befuddled Victoria...he was nice to her.

Yes the clothes...but, oyevah....THE FAUX FACIAL TATTOOS!!

Patti

(2 spades.....3 clubs!!!)
What a Woman!

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2004, 02:51:56 PM »
but drags on too long.nathan/millicent and vicki/peter are pretty dull.but i think the story redeems itself in it's final few eps.,

I didn't see 1795 after tape episode 40 but I wanted to make a commment on your statement. It's interesting that most of the actors who played the above characters are quite competent..like N. Barrett and J. Crothers and feel A. Moltka had the best romantic chemistry with early Roger Davies (when Peter Bradford was soft spoken and sensitive) but it's true that as compared to Barnabas/Josette/Angelique or even Noami/Joshua they are not as watcheable at all. Could it just be a question of writing? acting? TV presence? chemistry? 1795 Vickie was especially dull. J. Crothers captured the easy cad charm of Nathan Forbes but as the Millicent/Nathan story got heavier and he became more evil he struck me as being a bit of a lightweight. Not enough force.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2004, 04:05:07 PM »
For me, 1897 dragged out way too long during the last two months.  It should have ended once Barnabas completed his mission there.  The whole I Ching tries by Petofi were too long for me.

Roger Davis in a second role was another negative factor for me.

1795 seemed to have a plan ,while 1897 seemed to divert from the original plan and the writers went day by day instead.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2004, 06:19:21 PM »
The one thing that irked me about 1795 is how everyone reacted when they first saw Vicki in her 20th century clothing.  Actually, they really didn't react, at least not all that much.  With that short skirt, you think they would've been scandalized by her walking around in what to them must have been her unmentionables.  At least the '91 version took care of that by having Vicki wearing a long ("maxi") dress when she took a trip through Sherman and Mr. Peabody's Way-Back Machine.

Gerard

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2004, 09:02:31 PM »
I guess they learned their lesson the second or third time around when it was definitely noticed in 1897 or 1840 (can't remember which) when Julia showed up at Collinwood in her "strange clothes" and "hairstyle".

Sometimes they got it right, I guess. ::)

dom

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2004, 09:14:31 PM »
But... what about Abigail's scene (Clarice in the REAL DS) where she rails to Victoria for about 10 minutes about her scandalous, unspeakable clothes???  Did you miss that episode?

I have to admit I loved Julianna McCarthy's version of this in the 1990 remake.  I still laugh when I think of she said those words "cold... pressed"!

G.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2004, 11:03:29 PM »
The only people who saw Vicky's present time clothes were Barnabas, Sarah, Nathan, Naomi, and Abigail.

Barnabas, Nathan, and Abigail all commented on her dress.  We never got a chance to see what Naomi would have said as Vicky fainted right after she met her.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2004, 11:23:24 PM »
suki was a pretty foxy "spinster".i kind of liked her.does anyone else think the actress(jane draper i believe) should have been brought back as another character? ;)

I liked her too.  As a matter of fact, I use her name as my screen name on a different board (unrelated to DS) that I post on.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2004, 01:11:11 AM »
josette, i liked the clothing alot too.the 1795 fashions combined with 1967 make-up and hairdo's was quite memorable.i love that vicki was allowed to maintain that lustrous "do" rather than adapt to the modest "bun" a real servant would have worn during the period.but as i said before it's strange they didn't don "mourning" black after the deaths began.of nathan and millicent,since they were not really critical to the telling of the story,my impression is that the actors were contracted players and the writers needed to create parts for them.as for vicki and peter, so far i don't care for r.davis.i think a.moltke had great chemistry with mitch ryan(see ep.1).
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2004, 02:18:25 AM »
One thing about 1795 was the Nathan Forbes/Suki.

It was very traditional soap opera; sneaking, cheating, etc.

Also, love to hate the way he treats poor Millicent.

GO BARNEY...WITH YOUR FANGED SELF!![/b][/i]

Also enjoyed Joan's character having depth; the 'elbow bending' problem AND the way she's treating like a nothing in her own home.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2004, 02:50:43 AM »
i don't want to get too naughty,but nathan married millicent for her money.he must have married suki for other reasons.i can imagine a rather "steamy" relationship between them.thier scenes had some "sexual tension" :-*
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The Story of Josette
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2004, 03:30:48 AM »
I just finished watching ep 345, where Barnabas tells Julia the story of Josette at the top of Widow's Hill.  It's markedly different than what plays out in the 1795 Flashback.  Barnabas tells Julia that his first meeting with Josette was when she came to live at Collinwood as the young new wife of his middle aged Uncle Jeremiah, and how with the passage of years grew discontented with being married to a much older man.  Obviously, this played out very differently in the Flashback.  How many differing versions of Josette's story are there?

I am curious to know just how far ahead were the writers thinking.  From what I have read on this forum, the writers originally envisaged Barnabas as a temporary ratings boost, but kept on due to his popularity.  Still, I find it strange that the times that Barnabas expounded on his time when he was alive, he never mentioned Angelique.   Were there any mentions of the circumstances of his curse?  When did the writer's start thinking about a lengthly flashback and why.

Sorry, I see I am rambling now.  I'll stop. For now. :)
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2004, 11:31:09 AM »
I'm going thru the pre-Barnabas episodes right now. In one episode, Roger walks in on Carolyn holding a 'Collins Family History?' book and talking to the portrait of Jeremiah over the fire place. She was talking about 'Josette LaFrenier'.  I'm glad they changed her last name to 'DuPre'.  It has a nice ring to it. I was just thinking about all the great scenes between Roger, Sam, Bill and Burke. I wish they had given Andre DuPre more to do in the 1795 flashback.  A character like that of Bill Malloy, employee and friend of the Collinses would have been a nice addition to the flashback IMO.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2004, 01:10:23 AM »
for starters, victoria was not just a passive observer but an active participant in the events of that year, barnabas knew her.so why didn't he recognize her when he arrived in 1967?when phyllis wick first appears at the 67 seance she was on her way to collinwood for the first time(in 95).but when time returns to the present barnabas knows her.how could he if she never arrived at collinwood in 1795?
Essentially, he suggests that when Vicki returned to the present, she was in another band of time than the one she had left; therefore, Barnabas would not have recognized Vicki when he emerged from his coffin because all of that took place in the Phyllis Wick timeline (erm, maybe it would be easier if you just saw the diagrams, lol.)

Actually, what I suggested is that the only thing that makes sense is that Vicki created an alternate timeline by her travel to 1795 (in which she takes Phyllis Wick's place), but then returned to her own timeline, which is why Barnabas does not remember her as being Sarah's governess in 1795, being hanged as a witch, trying to free her, etc. He still remembers the original timeline in which those things happened to Phyllis Wick. The diagrams, which Prof. Stokes has so kindly referenced, do help to illustrate the concept.

I just finished watching ep 345, where Barnabas tells Julia the story of Josette at the top of Widow's Hill.  It's markedly different than what plays out in the 1795 Flashback.  Barnabas tells Julia that his first meeting with Josette was when she came to live at Collinwood as the young new wife of his middle aged Uncle Jeremiah, and how with the passage of years grew discontented with being married to a much older man.  Obviously, this played out very differently in the Flashback.  How many differing versions of Josette's story are there?

Part of the problem w/1795 is the divergence the writers took from established history by necessity. Originally, the timeline for the deaths of Josette, Naomi and Barnabas were to have taken place in the 1820's. We can only speculate why these events were pushed back to 1795 (the availability of period costumes, for instance). Nor was Jeremiah, the central ancestral figure, supposed to have died during these events - he and Josette were supposed to be Elizabeth's and Roger's great grandparents. Collinwood wasn't supposed to have been built until 1830. Jeremiah was supposed to be in the same age group as his brother Joshua, not the same age as Barnabas.

The decision to kill off Jeremiah was probably dictated by Anthony George's desire to leave the show and had perhaps the biggest impact on changing the established history. I would have preferred to see the part recast, thus salvaging an important historical plot point.

While 1795 is my favorite story line I'm not blind to its faults. The pacing is decidely off, again perhaps necessitated by Anthony George's unexpected departure. I feel it should have culminated in Josette's death (and may have been originally intended so); instead she's killed off about half way through and the whole Nathan/Millicent storyline seems like a lot of tack-on at the end rather than being interwoven with the rest of the period.

I think what makes it my favorite, aside from the time travel element, is that it represents a time when the actors were given challenging roles to play and acted the heck out of it, and it was during a time when the writing was still sharp and the dialogue still interesting and creative.