Author Topic: Somebody Please Help this Traveling Dumb Bunny  (Read 1364 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Somebody Please Help this Traveling Dumb Bunny
« on: June 11, 2004, 08:29:18 PM »

Me that is.  I'm having a hard time trying to decide the best way to get from LaGuardia to Tarrytown.  Plane, train or automobile (cab) ??? Also, is it best to fly into LaGuardia or would the Westchester Airport be better. 

(It was so much easier just to fly into NYC and get a limo or shuttle last time I went.)

Any suggestions are appreciated.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Somebody Please Help this Traveling Dumb Bunny
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 08:43:43 PM »
In order to get to Tarrytown by train you'll have to get into Manhattan from LaGuardia first and take Metro North from Grand Central Station to Tarrytown....about 30-40 minutes....but there will be waiting time since you have to get to Grand Central first, and then wait for the next train that stops in Tarrytown....more often during the evening rush...less often other times.

Taking a cab from LaGuardia to Tarrytown would cost you the Earth.  A limo might be less....but I couldn't say by how much.

I believe flying into Westchester Airport would be faster and cheaper, if that's an option from where you're starting out.

Contact the hotel and ask if they have pick-up service at either/or the Tarrytown train station and the Westchester airport....that might make the decision easier!

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 08:51:33 PM »
Thanks so much Raineypark!

So far I've checked flights to Westchester and LaGuardia and Westchester keeps coming out way more expensive - in one case by $100  ::).  Also, from where I live you have to go to Detroit first to get to the Westchester airport. If I go to LaGuardia I can get a straight flight to and from...but then, there's the switch from there to the train. So, I guess it's six of one half dozen of another.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 09:05:51 PM »
Getting into Manhattan from LaGuardia shouldn't be horrible....I have to admit I've never done it myself....but I know thousands of people do it every day.  Perhaps someone else here who's flown in for NY Fests can explain what all the options are from the airport to midtown.....

And once you get to Grand Central Station, it's not complicated at all.....there's just the wait time between when you get there, and when the next train stopping in Tarrytown leaves.  But even that can't be too terrible...Tarrytown is not that far up and LOTS and LOTS of people commute on the Metro North rail line every day.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 01:41:28 AM »
Getting into Manhattan from LaGuardia shouldn't be horrible....I have to admit I've never done it myself....but I know thousands of people do it every day.  Perhaps someone else here who's flown in for NY Fests can explain what all the options are from the airport to midtown.....

Here's the transportation page from LGA's own web site:

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/lgtsmain.HTM

Since I popped this page out of its frame for the link, the main page link would probably be helpful too:

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/lgaframe.HTM

I've taken a cab from LGA into Midtown. Pretty simple. You just follow the signs to the taxi stand and tell them where you need to go. The estimates they give here regarding price and time seem fairly accurate from what I recall.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 01:22:33 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks again for the info from all. And, MsCriseyde I'm going to bookmark those links for future use when I go back to NYC when time and funds allow (sometime soon I'm hoping).

After lots of checking and re-checking I found a half-way decent priced ticket going straight to the Westchester airport.  So now all I need to to is get transportation from there to the hotel. Woo hoo! That should be fairly simple I think.  :D

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 11:01:09 PM »
all right is there a nice person here who could tell me the bestway to drive
from Boston if i can drag my sister!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 12:40:45 PM »
www.mapquest.com could tell you jennifer. . .
Julia99

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 02:17:40 PM »
cool that'll help J99

thanks ;D
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!