Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0922  (Read 1037 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0922
« on: April 09, 2015, 05:52:03 PM »
Robservations #922

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0922

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 06:14:23 PM »
Werewolf Chris attacks Tate before Quentin can save him. Quentin suddenly is inspired to drive off the werewolf with a silver candlestick.

Julia comments on how Olivia's handwriting is such a close match to her "grandmother"'s but before Olivia has to improvise an answer, Quentin phones. The two set out for Cornith Bend. Julia tells Olivia only that the injured man's name is Harrison Monroe.

Alone with Charles, Julia asks him where Quentin's painting is but admits she can't help him, so Charles refuses to tell her.  Julia steps away, then leads Olivia into the room and tells her to address the old man as Charles. He takes one look at her and gasps, Amanda! You have come back! I knew you would someday! Olivia asks sorrowfully who the man is, and Julia tells her, Charles Delaware Tate. Olivia’s distress betrays her, and she turns away. Julia tells Tate, I brought Amanda Harris. Tell me where Quentin’s portrait is. Tate struggles to rise for one last look at Amanda, but collapses and dies. Julia tells Olivia he is dead and asks Quentin to call the police. I have to go, Olivia says, sobbing. Why are you taking the death of a seeming stranger so hard? Julia asks, knowing the answer full well. I want to be let alone, Olivia sobs. You will, Julia replies--if you will admit you are Amanda Harris. Olivia isn’t ready to do that yet and dashes out of the house.

The werewolf has climbed atop a rock in a clearing. A moment later, Olivia arrives at the clearing and suddenly feels that someone is following her. The werewolf growls and jumps to the ground, blocking her escape. She turns her back on it and calls out in terror. But just before it can spring on her, some unknown agency distracts it, then frightens it off. Though she doesn’t know how or why, Olivia realizes she has been spared.

Back at the inn, Julia gets Olivia to admit that she knows Quentin even thought he doesn't yet recognize her. She tells Julia what happened: Quentin came to my room at the hotel to say goodbye. I begged him for another chance, but he told me there was none. As she continues her story, we see Quentin and Amanda walking across a footbridge in 1897. Amanda pleads with him, promising to wait for him. You would be older, Quentin says sadly, but I would be the same. She starts crying, and he gives her the locket. Love someone else, Quentin tells her. Marry him and have a happy life with him. There is no life without you! she shouts after him, then steps to the edge of the bridge and looks down into the dark water.

No, Amanda--don’t, says a strangely gentle voice behind her. Amanda turns to see a portly little man, very nondescript but very dapper in a dark coat and bowler hat. He introduces himself as Mr. Best (played fastidiously by Emory Bass). Quentin was telling the truth, he tells her. You have a whole lifetime ahead of you. Other men will love you. If I were different, I might love you myself. I can give you a chance. But she turns away and jumps. No! he cries, but she’s already falling toward the water below.

Amanda awakes to find herself in what looks like a hotel lobby. All around her she hears people talking, but she is alone. Then Mr. Best steps out of the shadows and explains, This is the stopping-off place. Everyone gets here sooner or later. You can hear people talking because they have already come and gone, leaving only their memories behind. Where? Amanda asks. I would rather talk about you, Mr. Best replies. I am offering you another chance, because you were meant to live a long natural life. He explains: Say that... I am an incurable romantic. Say that the sight of a lovely young girl ready to die for the man she loves touched my heart. Whatever the reason, I am giving you the rest of your life to find Quentin Collins. Amanda declines his offer. Quentin left me because he will never grow old, Amanda explains. Even if I find him, I will only lose him again. Mr. Best replies,  Amanda, you know a place like this has very strict rules, but I'm going to break them for you. You will stay as young as he does for the rest of your natural life. If you find him before the time that you were really meant to die, and if you can convince him to stay with you this time, the two of you will have each other forever. I promise this. How can you promise such a thing? Amanda asks. And how do you know I will stay young? I just know, is all Mr. Best will say. I will come back for you on the day you are meant to die. Until then, it is up to you and your Quentin.

The next thing after that, Amanda concludes, I found myself back on the bridge as if nothing had happened. As the years passed, my mirror told me I was still young. But though I have had no way of knowing when my time would be up, I sense that it is soon. I’m terrified that I’ve found Quentin, but that he will never know! she wails. There must be a way to restore Quentin’s memory, Julia says, and leaves for Collinwood. I will be back, she promises. Don’t give up.

After a moment, there is knock at the door. Thinking Quentin has returned, Olivia steps quickly to the door, calling his name. To her horror, the visitor is none other than Mr. Best. Hello, Amanda, he says politely, as if they parted only recently. I waited until your guest had left. I hope you are--ready?......

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 01:21:54 AM »
Always hated this arc for Ang.
I know, I know, reap what you sow.

Julia really does get the best sceneS in ALL of this 'hullabalu'....lots and lots going on and she's just the woman to straighten things out!!

If he really were 'Mr. Best', he'd do us all a favor & take out an AK47 & blow the b**ch away now.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 12:42:26 AM »
Aw, Amanda and Tate meet at his deathbed, but it's more awkward than poignant.  Maybe more could not be expected, considering their non-relationship.  It's entirely in character for Tate not to say where the portrait of Q is.  He lied about it before.  Julia presses Amanda/Olivia for information right after Tate's death.  She gets nowhere, until later at Corey's apartment, where we get the flashback to how Mr. Best saved her... all unnecessary of course, since all those Tate portraits should have made her immortal.  Didn't anyone think of this?

Did the bridge image make any sense?  It gets across that there's a bridge there, but would you see that white bridge framework from that angle, standing on the bridge?

On the bridge (what a place to break up with someone), Q seems to be saying (sheathed in noble self-sacrificing language) that he wouldn't like watching his wife age, while he stayed young and was still a viable chick magnet.  He seems to think he'll leave her at some point, why lead her on, so he'll do the "noble" thing and jilt her now.  From his speech though, you'd think he was doing her some wonderful favor, as if this made things easier for her.  Why would Amanda object to his staying young?

Julia now accepts any crazy-ass phenomenon that's thrown at her, including a "Mr. Death" in a bowler...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 11:52:14 PM »
I guess Quentin didn't know about Amanda's portrait(?), and that she too would stay young forever. Two dumb-asses that deserved each other, were made for each other...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 01:36:14 AM »
Worse than that, dom, the writers seemed to forget completely that Amanda's portrait would make her immortal, dom, or they wouldn't have written in the Mr. Best scenario at all, unless jumping off the bridge and dying that way was possible even with the portraits existing (they wouldn't protect against extreme dangers I guess).  Then this death would cancel out the paintings' influence?  Best would then be starting over with her, ressurecting her in whatever way he chose to.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 05:02:28 AM »
I am officially (and happily) DS brain dead.