Author Topic: Text Size In The Input Window & On Certain Buttons  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Text Size In The Input Window & On Certain Buttons
« on: June 08, 2004, 02:52:53 AM »
BTW I love this big print feature.

Big print? Others were saying it's too small. And for me it doesn't look all that different than it did before the conversion.

Strange things are going on!  :D

That is funny. It has to be at least 2 and a half times bigger print (when typing a post) unless my eyesight has dramatically improved. lol

I decided to move all this over here.

Anyway, I've checked in several different browsers, using both Windows and Linux, and it probably won't come as a surprise to anyone that the text in the input window and on certain buttons is indeed much, Much, MUCH larger than it has been. Strangely, though, it looks completely unchanged in my Linux version of Netscape 7.1 (though it's also big in all my other Linux browsers). So, apparently I'm going to have to try to track down what's going on...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Text Size In The Input Window & On Certain Buttons
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 03:34:33 AM »
So, apparently I'm going to have to try to track down what's going on...

Today I installed the Linux version of Opera 7.51 and somehow that installation changed my default fonts in Netscape. How? Who knows? But once I changed them back to what they should be, everything in Netscape dispalyed the exact same as it does in all of my other browsers. So, I've readjusted the text size to what we were using in YaBB SE. How did it change all of a sudden? I don't know. But I think I'll go with the haunted forum theory.  :D

And BTW, the text may look slightly different than you remember it did in SE because this system's primary font is different. In SE the system used verdana, arial, helvetica, and serif - but this new system uses Tahoma, arial, helvetica, and serif.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 01:18:28 PM »
Haunted/schmaunted...at least it's easier to read!!!

Weird...above in the subject line, where it was traditionally black w/white/gray lettering, it's not (the box & text) with w/black lettering).

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 10:36:28 PM »
I do think it's slightly hysterical that the "NEWS" in the 4th band along the top of the frame is written with letters that are a slightly darker version of the background color (something I'd call sick salmon--I'm color blind so who knows what it *really* is), which makes the text all but illegible--sounds like an administrator's clever commentary upon the new software.

G.

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 12:53:11 AM »
I do think it's slightly hysterical that the "NEWS" in the 4th band along the top of the frame is written with letters that are a slightly darker version of the background color (something I'd call sick salmon--I'm color blind so who knows what it *really* is), which makes the text all but illegible--sounds like an administrator's clever commentary upon the new software.

On my computer it's a kind of lime green text on a gray background, but, as you say, it's almost unreadable.  :(

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 01:32:26 PM »
Bette...I'm glad you said that, cause mine also is an almost illegible lime green....Steve...you okay honey??

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 03:45:17 PM »
Lime green, eh? Well, that makes sense, since it is THE Dark Shadows color!

Still looks like a color of pink I would normally describe with a word that starts with baby, followed by a "sh" and ending in "t" but would be impolite to write here.

A blind friend of mine explained my color blindness to me.  I do actually see colors, but I am missing these things called "cones" in my eyes that allow me to distinguish certain colors.  Shades of grey and green are among the problem colors for me.

Lucky thing I never went into art criticism, isn't it?

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 09:05:55 PM »
Lime green, eh? Well, that makes sense, since it is THE Dark Shadows color!

;)  But I mentioned this last week in the conversion topic:

... there seems to be a problem with the way the news is displaying in IE. ...

The lime green as well as the fact that the news is displaying so small is due to some sort of flaw in the way IE interprets Cascading Style Sheet code.

As for the people who aren't using IE, the news color isn't the color I chose for it (which is much darker). In SE we could chose any color for the news, but for some reason trying to change its color doesn't seem to work with this new system - well, at least not at the moment...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 09:08:49 PM »
In SE the system used verdana, arial, helvetica, and serif - but this new system uses Tahoma, arial, helvetica, and serif.

Actually, we discussed the fonts last night and decided to change the main one back to verdana because it seems to be easier to read.  :)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 12:20:25 AM »
 :-X :-X well...hate to say it...but I went on this a.m., size was better, but now...it seems slightly too large :-X :-X

Patti...who's hiding now
What a Woman!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 04:43:43 AM »
BTW I love this big print feature.
Big print? Others were saying it's too small. And for me it doesn't look all that different than it did before the conversion.

Strange things are going on!  :D

That is funny. It has to be at least 2 and a half times bigger print (when typing a post) unless my eyesight has dramatically improved. lol
I've checked in several different browsers, using both Windows and Linux, and it probably won't come as a surprise to anyone that the text in the input window and on certain buttons is indeed much, Much, MUCH larger than it has been. Strangely, though, it looks completely unchanged in my Linux version of Netscape 7.1 (though it's also big in all my other Linux browsers). So, apparently I'm going to have to try to track down what's going on...

I was puzzled by Jimbo's comment since the font seemed to be slightly smaller for me.  I normally access the forum with Internet Explorer, though I also have Mozilla (some sites just seem to work better and look better with IE).

Now, after having been away from the board for a while (distracted by other things ...) I'm surprised to find I'm experiencing the same very LARGE font as I type my comments.

As Patti says ... it really is quite BIG.

But at least that's easier on these eyes that are telling me I may one day need to consider reading glasses ... maybe when I reach middle age (whenever that is ...)   ;D
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995