Author Topic: #0113/0114: Robservations 08/08/01: Befriending a Murderer  (Read 1270 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0113/0114: Robservations 08/08/01: Befriending a Murderer
« on: August 07, 2001, 07:15:34 PM »
Episode #113 - Collinwood is still living up to it's name as a ghost ridden house, where deaths have gone unsolved, except that in this case, the murderer is known; only his whereabouts are unknown, but much like a wounded animal at bay, he has taken refuge in the one place where he thinks he'll be safe. The Old House has already been searched thoroughly, so Matthew Morgan feels this is one place the police will not look again.

Matthew enters the Old House and looks out the window. He pulls the lever inside the secret bookcase that will eventually hide Barnabas from the world, goes in, and closes the shelf behind him.
He sets down the lantern and sits on a chair, rubbing his mouth, his mouth hanging open slackly, his hair sticking out in all directions. He is clearly exhausted.

In his room at the Inn, Burke looks through some legal paperwork, feet on the coffee table. Sarah Johnson pays him a visit, telling him she has to talk to him. I have some news that couldn't wait, she reports--they found out who's been trying to kill Vicki Winters. Roger Collins? he guesses hopefully. No, she says, and what's more, Mr. Collins did not kill Mr. Malloy. What are you talking about, he's got to be the one, insists Burke. No he isn't, says Sarah, you were wrong and I was wrong--the man who did the actual killing was Matthew Morgan.
I don't believe it, says Burke--what possible reason could he have? He thought that Mr. Malloy was hounding Mrs. Stoddard, and that was reason enough for him, she explains--he had to protect the sacred name of Collins. I suppose that's still what he's doing, says Burke--did he make an actual confession? Not to the sheriff, he didn't says Sarah, but he did to Miss Winters and he as much as did to Mrs. Stoddard. Where is he now? asks Burke. He could be in Canada now, she says--he turned and ran as soon as Mrs. Stoddard confronted him. I can't believe it, says Burke, I was so positive it was Roger, as positive as I am that he was guilty of that manslaughter charge they tried to hang on me. Could you have been wrong about that? she asks. No, I was not driving that car, insists Burke. They said at the time you were drunk, she reminds him. Yeah, sure I was drunk, he says, and everything about that night is hazy, but...well... You didn't run away from something you knew you'd done, she says. Drunk or sober, I would never run away from anything, and you must believe that, says Burke. (I think Mitchell mixed up lines here.) I know, she says, it's Roger Collins, he'd run away from anything, from every one of his responsibilities--he'd hide behind his sister's skirts. I know that you took that job up at Collinwood to find out who killed Malloy, says Burke, but now we know--Matthew--and sooner or later the police will find him--do me a favor--stay up at Collinwood. I have no intention of leaving up there, she assures him. I take it then you're not satisfied with this solution of Mr. Malloy's death, he says. It doesn't change a single thing, she says, I still think Roger Collins is really responsible, because none of this would have happened if he'd owned up to that manslaughter charge 10 years ago. And I wouldn't have served 5 years in prison, either, says Burke--that's what brought me back to Collinsport in the first place--I came back to see that Roger Collins and his whole precious family paid for those 5 years I served--and someday, somehow, Roger is going to let something slip and you'll be there to hear it. Oh, I hope so, she says--I'd better be getting back before they miss me. Thank you for telling me all this, he says--too bad you couldn't tell me what I really wanted to hear. That it was Mr. Collins, she says. Yes, he replies. She shakes her head and leaves. Burke is thoughtful.

Burke pours himself a drink in his kitchen. David knocks at his door. To what do I owe the honor? Asks Burke. Can I come in? asks David. Sure, says Burke, putting a friendly hand on David's head--you're welcome here anytime, Davy. He takes David's coat and offers him a Burke Devlin special. Sure! says David, and follows Burke into the kitchen. David sits on the counter. I suppose you're glad to hear the good news about your father, says Burke. It isn't good news, sulks David. Why, he's free, isn't he? asks Burke. That's just it, says David, I hoped he'd be arrested and put in jail forever! I have to admit that idea did appeal to me, but he is your father, Davy. That doesn't matter, I hate him, says David. Why do you hate him so much? asks Burke. Because of the way he used to treat my mother, says David. Was he mean to her? asks Burke. That's what made her so sick, she had to go to a hospital, says David resentfully. I see, says Burke. Besides that, says David, I still think he killed Mr. Malloy. I thought Matthew admitted he'd done it, says Burke. Matthew would say anything my Aunt Elizabeth told him to, says David. That's an interesting theory, says Burke, putting together David's drink--I don't think it's gonna hold water. I saw it in my crystal ball, and it never lies, says David. Crystal balls are funny things, says Burke, they may not lie, but they show you the truth in riddles, you have to figure out what's actually going on. I did figure it out, says David, and I saw my father bending over Mr. Malloy at Lookout Point--isn't that where he was killed? True, says Burke, handing him the juice--maybe Mr. Malloy was already dead when he got there. David drinks--then why would he be looking at him, bending over? Maybe he was trying to see if he was still alive, suggests Burke. I didn't think you'd try to protect him, says David. Burke smiles. I have a strong aversion to framing an innocent person, he says. What does that mean? asks David. It means I wouldn't want to see you punished for something you didn't do, says Burke. Just the same, I still think it was my father that did it, says David--maybe Josette can tell me, or maybe Mr. Malloy. They're ghosts, says Burke. They're ghosts to other people, says David, but to me they're real--and they never lie to me, either--that's why I'm so worried about Miss Winters--one of my friends--Josette Collins--said she had to stay around Collinwood until another girl is killed at Widows' Hill. Oh yeah, says Burke, I seem to remember that old legend--but didn't that girl have to be a member of the Collins family? How do you know she isn't? asks David--she doesn't even know herself. (From the mouths of babes!) He jumps off the counter. You sure are full of theories today, says Burke, leading him into the living room. I guess theories are just guesses, says David. Sort of, agrees Burke--you might call it a contemplation. OK, then my contemplation is that my father killed Mr. Malloy--and Matthew came along and saw him and got scared and ran away. I wonder, says Burke. I have another contemplation, says David, when I was crossing the street to the hotel, I saw Mrs. Johnson, and my contemplation is that maybe she had been here to see you. Why should she want to see me? asks Burke. I haven't figured that part out yet, says David. Burke laughs, a bit unnerved, and says his theories are getting pretty wild--Mrs. Johnson could have been seeing anybody here--did you actually see her leave the hotel? No, says David, but she was coming from this direction. How many other people were coming from this direction? asks Burke. Lots of them, says David. Burke laughs and says that's not a very good contemplation, then.
I guess not, says David--maybe I think too much. Burke ruffles his hair and David smiles at him.

Mrs. Johnson dusts in the drawing room, glancing surreptitiously through drawers at various ledgers and books. She doesn't find anything, and makes sure no one is watching her. She hears someone come in. It's David, who tosses his coat over the newel post. Is that the way you always hang up your coat? she asks him. I didn't hang it up, he replies, I just put it there. There's a place for you to hang it, she says.
OK, he says, and hangs it on a hook near the door, then heads upstairs. He stops and watches her at work. What are you looking at? she asks. You, he says--I saw you before, about an hour ago. You couldn't have, she says, I was in Collinsport. That's where I saw you, he says. I had errands to do, she says, dusting. At the Collinsport Inn? he asks. What on earth would I be doing there? she asks. I thought maybe you went to see Burke Devlin, says David. Burke Devlin and I have nothing in common, says Sarah. Yes, you do, and so do I, says David--we all three hate my father. That's ridiculous, she says. No it isn't, I can tell, he says. How can you tell--what have you heard? she asks. I haven't heard anything, he replies, I didn't have to--I can tell by the look in your eye when you're watching him. What would I want to be watching Mr. Collins for? asks Sarah. You always are, he says--whenever you're in the same room with him, when you serve him dinner, you look at him like you want to poison him. (LOL!) Oh, you're makin' that up, she says, I'm very grateful for my job here. But my father didn't hire you, says David, it was Aunt Elizabeth. No matter who hired me, I work for everyone here at Collinwood, she says. Even me? he asks. Yes, she says, even you! All right, he says, coming back downstairs. She asks where he's going. To get my coat where I hung it up, he says. Where are you going now, it's almost dinner time, she reminds him. What I have to do won't take long, he assures her. What's so important that you have to go out now? she asks. If I told you, you'd only laugh at me like everyone else, he says. Who's everyone else? she asks. Everyone, except Burke Devlin, says David--he doesn't laugh at me--ever. He's a very perceptive man, remarks Sarah. Is that what he told you this afternoon? asks David. I did not see Burke Devlin this afternoon, she insists, but you have to remember that I'd known him for many years. Do you believe he was driving that ca that ran over somebody? asks David. What I believe or don't believe doesn't matter, she says, because suspicion doesn't count, the police and jury want facts. All right, then I'll tell you where I'm going, he says--I'm going to try to find out some real facts, from my friends at the Old House. There hasn't been anybody living there in years, she says. I didn't say my friends were alive, says David. Oh, you're talking about the ghosts, she says. I said you'd laugh at me, he says. That's not a subject to laugh about, she says, not by me, anyway--but you see these ghosts wouldn't appear in a court of law now, would they? Of course not, says David. Then who's gonna believe you? she asks. Maybe my friends can tell me something that can be proved, he suggests. I see, says Sarah, all right, just see you get back by suppertime. I promise! he says, and leaves the house. Sarah contemplates.

David runs up to the Old House and inside. I guess you know why I'm here, he says to Josette's portrait, you always know what I'm thinking anyway--all I want to know is something--anything--that can prove my father did all those terrible things--where's Matthew?--please, tell me where Matthew is, maybe he can prove that my father did it--can't you tell me?
--can't you give me some sign? And Matthew suddenly grabs David into his grasp, glaring down at him. (Did Josette do that?)

What are you doing here? demands Matthew. Looking for you, says David. How did you know I was here? asks Matthew--who told you? Nobody, I didn't know, says David. Then what was all that nonsense you was talking to the picture? asks Matthew. It wasn't nonsense, says David, I was asking my friends where I could find you--I didn't know you were here--nobody else does, either. I don't know whether to believe ya or not, says Matthew. I wouldn't lie to you, says David. You lie to everybody, says Matthew. If the sheriff and Aunt Elizabeth knew you were here, do you think they'd let me come here? asks David. How do I know the sheriff isn't coming here right now? asks Matthew. Go look out the window and see, invites David. Matthew does so. See anything? asks David. No, says Matthew. I told you I was telling the truth, says David, I want to help you. Why should you want to help me? asks Matthew. Because I know what happened, says David, and I know it was all my father's fault--he killed Mr. Malloy. That's not a nice thing to say about your father, says Matthew. We'll work together, offers David--we'll find evidence!--all you have to do is stay here until I find it. David hoists himself up on a crate. You expect me to stay here, where I'm not safe? asks Matthew. You're safe in this old House, says David, I'm the only one who ever comes here--nobody else does. You serious about wanting to help me? asks Matthew. Sure I am, says David. I don't know how far I can trust you, says Matthew. You can trust me, David assures him. Gimme a chance, says Matthew--don't say anything about seein' me when you go back to the house--give me a chance to get away. But you can't run away! protests David, if you do, we won't have a chance to investigate, we won't find proof against my father--you're safer here than you would be anyplace else--there are police cars all over, and they'll catch you anyway. Matthew shakes his head--I couldn't stay here long even if I wanted to, he says--I need food. I can bring you food! promises David, and I'll bring you everything you need. How can you get it out of the house without being seen? asks Matthew. I'll manage, he says, just say you'll stay--trust me, won't you? I don't know, says Matthew. You have to trust me, says David, you know you don't have any choice. Don't I? asks Matthew. You know you don't, says David--you know you're safe here, nobody else comes, don't worry, I can take care of you--nobody will ever find out you're here--nobody! Matthew goes to peer out the window again. His face through the broken windows looks somehow monstrous.
He returns to David and says, "All right, Davy--I'll trust ya." David is pleased.

NOTES: David wants so desperately to believe his father guilty, he's ignoring the fact that Matthew confessed to the murder. This is scary, because we know how desperate and scared Matthew is, and whether he knows it or not, David has put himself in danger by agreeing to help him. Others might say David doesn't choose the best companions, but the kid is so lonely, he turns to ghosts for friendship. Even Burke is forced to admit that Roger didn't do it, much as it pains him, but he likes the idea Matthew confessed for Liz' sake, and that it's not true.

It's clear that Mrs. Johnson has already begun to care about the family. She is determined to stay at the job, still acting as spy for Burke on another matter, but she very obviously likes the job and wants to stick around. She already seems to care about David, who needs it so badly.

Burke continues to be more of a father figure to David than Roger is, and David clearly adores him. At least Burke, unlike David, is willing to accept that Roger is innocent of killing Malloy. Even Sarah believes that Roger caused Malloy's death, even if inadvertently.

Episode #114 - It is morning at Collinwood, and I've begun to believe that I am out of danger--not knowing that danger still lurks in the shadows of an old, abandoned house. At the moment, my biggest concern is making my peace with a member of the Collins family--a man I once suspected of trying to murder me.

Roger sits on the sofa, glasses on, reading the Collinsport Star and drinking a cup of coffee. Vicki, who has been in the room with him, pours a cup of coffee for herself and offers him more. No, thank you, he says, there's no need to be overly solicitous. Is that what I am? she asks. Your little attempts at being friendly don't change anything, he says. I just want you to forgive me! she says. I'm trying to forget it happened, he says, but being accused of murder isn't an easy thing to forget. He folds up the paper and goes to answer the phone. It's Burke, asking for Vicki. It's for you, says Roger, scowling. Vicki takes the phone. Hello, she says. Burke asks her to come to his hotel room this morning. I'm not sure, she says. It's very important, he tells her, vitally important. In that case, all right, she says. I'll be waiting for you, he says. Goodbye, she says, and hangs up. What did Devlin want? asks Roger--do you think I didn't recognize his voice?--what are you conspiring about now? We're not conspiring about anything, says Vicki. What did he want? asks Roger. I think he just wanted to see me, she says--I imagine he heard what happened with Matthew and me. He can get a full account of that in the local paper, says Roger--he must want something else from you--what? I don't know what he wants, he didn't say, she says. I suppose I can't stop you from seeing him, says Roger, but I'll tell you this much, Vicki--this man is trying to destroy this family--he is our enemy
--and as long as you continue to see him, I must regard you as our enemy also. (Ouch!)

Vicki pulls up in front of the Inn and goes inside. Burke watches from his window. When Vicki comes to the door, Burke eagerly invites her in. I was worried about you, he says, I wanted to see if you were all right. I'm fine, she assures him, still a little shaky, but I'm fine. He urges her to sit down and sits next to her. I imagine you are shaky after what's happened to you, he says--I feel like an idiot. You shouldn't, she says. He actually tried to kill you? asks Burke. He tried to strangle me, says Vicki, and he would have if Mrs. Stoddard hadn't come in and stopped him. And he made a full confession? asks Burke. To me and Mrs. Stoddard, says Vicki--you see, he killed Bill Malloy to protect her. You don't suppose he was lying, do you? asks Burke. Why should he lie? asks Vicki. To protect Roger, to protect the Collins name, says Burke. He wasn't lying, Vicki assures him, I know you want Roger to be guilty, but that's just wishful thinking--Matthew is the guilty one and Roger had nothing to do with it. Burke sighs. I suppose you're right, he says, I suppose I shouldn't be disappointed, but I am. I'm just glad we know the truth, she says. Burke pours coffee and hands her a cup, telling her he's glad she's all right--I think I'll buy Mrs. Stoddard three dozen roses and a mink coat. Vicki grins. I don't think she'd accept them, she says. I'm not joking, says Burke softly--your good help is very important to me. Is it? she asks. More than you'll ever know, he replies--don't be embarrassed. I'm not embarrassed, why should I be? she asks. They sit down again. You remember when Roger confessed to you that he had found Malloy's body? asks Burke. Of course I do, she says. Did he say that Malloy had some kind of information about my manslaughter conviction 10 years ago? asks Burke. No, he didn't, says Vicki. Did he make the slightest reference to it, that Malloy knew? asks Burke--did he?--think hard. I have thought about it, says Vicki--he didn't say a word about anything Malloy knew or anything about that trial 10 years ago. Burke sighs. I see, he says, rubbing his head. I'm glad he didn't, says Vicki--I'm glad I don't have any information to hold against the Collins family. I didn't know you had any great love for Roger, comments Burke. I don't, says Vicki, I'm thinking about Mrs. Stoddard--she's been wonderful to me, given me a home--I don't want to do anything to hurt her family. I can understand your loyalty, says Burke, but Roger was guilty of that manslaughter charge, I wasn't! I don't know anything about that, says Vicki, and I don't want to. And you're willing to let a guilty man go scot-free? asks Burke. How do I know he's guilty? asks Vicki--I don't want to be involved, I don't want to help you get your revenge against the Collins family--I owe them some loyalty! I think you've given them enough of your loyalty, says Burke, gazing out the window. I'm not being very loyal being here right now, she reminds him. Why not? he asks. Because you're out to destroy the Collins family, she says, and I don't want to help you--I think it would be better if we didn't see each other again. Better?--in what way? he asks. Because I can't do anymore to Roger, she says--I can't give you any information you can use against him. Is that why you think I invited you up here--to get information? asks Burke. I don't know, she says. Is that what you think?--is that the picture you have of me? he asks. I didn't say that, she says. What did you say? he asks. Nothing, she says--I'd better go. Vicki, he says, don't go, not like this--he puts his hands on her shoulders
--then leans in and kisses her. She responds at first, with passion, then draws back. I didn't mean for that to happen, he says. I know, she says. I guess we both knew it was going to happen sometime, he says. She looks at him. It doesn't make any difference, I still can't see you, she insists. I'm not playing games, you know that, he tells her. I know, she says. And it still doesn't matter? asks Burke. I can't let it matter, replies Vicki--I can't get involved in something I know is wrong right from the beginning! All right, he says, get your white gloves, little governess, you know where the door is. Stung, she says goodbye and leaves, closing the door behind her. Burke looks unhappy but his expression seems to say, her loss!

Burke answers the phone. It's Blair. Devlin smiles--you have?--well, well, well, that is good news--my only regret is I won't be able to see the expression on Elizabeth Stoddard's face when she finds out.

Liz, elegant in white, accented by a sparkling pin, enters the drawing room and asks Roger if he's going to work this morning--or has he decided to take the mornings off? Roger, reading the paper, says that he's waiting for Vicki to come back from town--he's curious to find out what Devlin wanted--what conspiracy they're cooking up now. Vicki is completely loyal to us, says Liz. You may be that certain, but I'm not, he says. Oh, Roger! she exclaims, exasperated. She spots David coming downstairs and asks where he's going. Out to play, he says. Have you finished the homework Miss Winters left for you? she asks. Yes, he says. How could you, you just started a few minutes ago, she says. I'll finish it, he promises. I don't like it when you lie to me, she says, and it upsets me when you neglect your homework the minute Miss Winters' back is turned. I said I'd finish it, David assures her. You'll finish it now, she orders--take off your coat and go back upstairs. Aunt Elizabeth! he complains. Do as I say, she tells him. OK, he agrees, and goes back up--but as soon as Liz is out of eyeshot in the drawing room, he comes back downstairs again. If Vicki were tending to her job, this kind of thing wouldn't happen, Roger tells Liz. Don't blame Vicki, says Liz, she left him with plenty of homework. As far as you're concerned, that girl can't do any wrong, says Roger, can she? David creeps close to the drawing room and listens. As far as I'm concerned, she hasn't done anything wrong, says Liz. I give up, says Roger, I'm not going to argue with you about Miss Victoria Winters--I'm tired of that particular argument. So am I, says Liz. David slips into the kitchen. The phone rings. Liz answers. It's Burke. What do you want? she demands. I see you haven't changed, he says--you get right to the point as always. I said what do you want? asks Liz. I thought you might like to be the first to congratulate me, he says--I'm the new owner of the Logansport Enterprises--they couldn't wait for you to top my bid, so they sold it to me, lock, stock and barrel--be prepared for a little honest competition.
I'm prepared to fight, says Liz--don't think you've won yet--you haven't. That remains to be seen, says Burke. That's right, it does, says Liz. I like a good fight, you know why? asks Burke--because I'm usually the winner. Don't count on it this time, says Liz, and hangs up on him. What's going on? asks Roger, what did Burke want? He just made his first big move toward putting us out of business, says Liz, he owns Logansport Enterprises. Both of them are frowning.

David goes into the kitchen and takes out a paper bag. He fills it with cans from the cupboard.

I told Burke we'll fight him and we will, Liz tells her brother. Is there any point in fighting if you know you're going to lose? asks Roger. Losing battle, what are you suggesting? asks Liz. You could sell the cannery, he says, get a good price now while Burke is trying to get his operation organized. How typical of you, she says disparagingly, to give up without a fight. Sometimes fighting is pointless when you know you can't win, says Roger. I'm not giving up now and that's final, says Liz. It's up to you, replies Roger, but I just hope you know what you're doing. David quietly leaves the kitchen with his bag of food and walks past the drawing room. I know what I'm doing, says Liz, and I'm going to fight Burke with every means at my disposal. I wish Matthew had managed to strangle Burke at the Blue Whale that day, says Roger. Don't be morbid, says Liz, and don't talk about Matthew--I don't like to remember what happened. David leaves the house. I feel sorry for him, says Roger--he must be crouched in some hovel, a hundred miles from here, knowing he can't go any further, knowing the police are going to find him--and he's in that position because of us.

David, bag in hand, goes to the Old House, which looks especially gloomy, and goes in.

Can't you speak to them again? begs Liz on the drawing room phone, can't you ask for more time?--I might be able to raise the necessary funds--I see--well then I suppose that's it--I know you did the best you could--thank you very much--good bye. She hangs up, dejected. I take it Garner's answer was in the negative, says Roger. He said they couldn't wait any longer, she says, they had to accept Burke's bid. Does that come as a surprise? Asks Roger--you know you didn't have the money to top his bid, we both knew it all along. I know, she says, yet I'd hoped. For what, another miracle? He asks. Perhaps, she says, sitting tiredly on the sofa. Miracles don't happen, he says. Maybe not, she says. You're so proud and arrogant, he says, you think you're a Collins and a Collins can't lose a fight--I have news for you, my dear sister, it can happen. Stop it, she says, I have enough to contend with without arguing with you! There's no point in arguing, he says, you've already made up your mind. That's right, I have, she says. The front door opens; it's Vicki. Roger asks Vicki to come in, then wants to know the purpose of "your little visit with Burke Devlin?" He just wanted to see how I was, she says. I see, says Roger, you mean he set up an appointment in his hotel room merely to inquire about your health? He heard what happened with Matthew, says Vicki, and he wanted to be sure I'd gotten over the shock. How touching, says Roger--tell me, while he was consoling you, did he tell you about his latest attempt to strike at our family?. What do you mean? asks Vicki. Oh, he didn't tell you? says Roger sarcastically--oh, then he didn't gloat over his latest coup de grace. I don't know what you're talking about, says Vicki. Burke now owns Logansport Enterprises, Liz says, tired of Roger's beating around the bush--he's going to try to put us out of business. Yes, and in all likelihood, says Roger, he'll succeed. I didn't know that, says Vicki to Liz, he didn't say anything about it. That's strange, remarks Roger, knowing Burke, I was sure he'd be bragging about his latest triumph to anyone in earshot, especially you, you've become such close friends. We're not friends, says Vicki--I'm never going to see him again. You aren't? asks Liz. I told him that I'd never see him again and I won't, says Vicki. You certainly never objected to his company before, says Roger. He's trying to hurt you and your family, she says, and I don't want that, because I feel like I'm a part of your family. You are, Liz assures her. So I told him that I wouldn't see him, says Vicki. I appreciate your loyalty, says Liz, I'm very grateful.
If you mean what you say, I might be able to overlook a great deal that has happened, says Roger. I mean what I say, says Vicki (not too sincerely)--I won't ever see Burke again--where's David? Up in his room doing his homework, reports Liz. I'd better go see how he is, says Vicki. That's a good idea, says Liz--and bring him down to lunch in an hour. Yes, agrees Vicki, and leaves. There's something else I want you to think about, says Roger--Carolyn and David--if you lose every cent of Collins money in this fight with Devlin, they will suffer as much as we will, maybe more--do you want that to happen? No, she replies. Well? he asks. I want them to have the Collins money, says Liz, but I want much more for them than that--I want them to be strong--I want them to learn a sense of values--I want them to learn to make their own choices and fight for what they want--if I back away from this fight with Burke, I won't be setting them much of an example.
Liz, you really are incorrigible, says Roger, angrily--you can twist argument to twist exactly what you believe--you've never once been able to admit you could be wrong. He starts to leave in a huff, but she stops him in the foyer. All right, I am stubborn, she admits, but you know me well enough to know that when my mind is made up, it stays made up. Vicki appears on the landing, telling them David's not in his room. He must be, says Liz, I sent him upstairs just a few minutes ago. I looked everywhere, I can't find him, says Vicki. A little while ago, he tried to go outside, says Liz, maybe he sneaked off again. What does it matter where he's gone? scoffs Roger--what if it is outside--it couldn't be less important!

David, no bag in hand now, leaves the Old House. (These outdoor shots are wonderful!).

Do you think I should go outside to look for David? Vicki asks Liz, who wants to know if something is wrong. No, why? asks Vicki. You're flushed, and when you came back from town you were flushed, says Liz--did something happen to bother you? Not really, says Vicki. Did Burke do or say anything that disturbed you? asks Liz. No, says Vicki. I don't mean to pry, says Liz, I just don't want you to be upset. It's all right, Vicki assures her, I got sort of mad at Burke, that's all, it wasn't anything important. I see, says Liz. David comes in. Liz says his name in THAT voice. Yes, Aunt Elizabeth, he says. Where have you been? demands Liz. I just went out for a minute, he says. You deliberately disobeyed me, she accuses. I know, he says, but I had a good reason to go out. What was it? she asks. To feed the birds, he answers. I don't like you to lie to me, she reminds him. I'm not lying! he says. Matthew keeps the bird seed locked in the tool shed, she says, you couldn't be feeding any birds. I didn't say I fed them says David--when I went down there to get it, I found the tool shed locked and came back here for the key--you believe me, don't you? I believe you deliberately disobeyed me, says Liz--to Vicki she says, "Take him upstairs." Wait a minute, says David, stopping on the steps so he's at eye level with Roger--have you heard anything about Matthew? No, says Roger, the sheriff called and said there had been no trace of him--he seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. That's funny, says David. What's funny about it? asks Roger. I just think it's funny, the way someone can vanish off the face of the earth, muses David.
And we get a daytime shot of the Old House, where, for all intents and purposes, Matthew has "vanished off the face of the earth."

NOTES: Burke kisses Vicki! And unlike the kisses she will share with Burke #2 and Peter Bradford, she looked like she really enjoyed this one. But how it must tangle her emotions and loyalties! You could tell by the way she left how torn she was. She wants to be loyal to the family, but is attracted to Burke, too. And then there's clean-cut Frank Garner, rich, a lawyer, very smitten with her. Does she go for somewhat shady Burke or Eagle Scout Frank? Should be interesting to find out!

Burke now owns his own cannery--will he put the Collinses out of business? Will Liz win the fight her own brother feels unsure about--and in which he doesn't even seem to support her? Did David bring Matthew canned goods he likes?

It still chills me that David is helping Matthew, a confessed murderer. He is far more ready to believe his father did it, and not only that, wants to find a way to prove it! Matthew knows damn well that he is guilty, so why he's encouraging David to help him prove his father guilty, bring him food, etc., is also pretty creepy. You sense pent-up violence in Matthew even now, and fear for David and anyone else who might come to the Old House--and we KNOW that, one of these days, Vicki is going to search for David there and be caught by Matthew. It's only a matter of time.

Love, Robin