Author Topic: Barrett's Coming Attractions  (Read 1156 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
Barrett's Coming Attractions
« on: March 20, 2002, 03:42:58 PM »
We got a taste of the clever characterization of Nancy Barrett as Millicent Collins (unfortunately a subordinate part in 1795 storyline). However, I feel her best and most challenging role is yet to come - Charity Trask/Pansy Faye. You have to love the verbal exchanges ::)between Barrett and Jerry Lacy in 1897. Does anyone agree?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline scott

• View Profile
Re: Barrett's Coming Attractions
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2002, 03:46:59 PM »
Totally agree. I've only seen this storyline once (the original run!) so seeing Nancy act is a treat. I love her swooning characterization, as she (consciously) overacts the part of the proper 18th century single woman. "My reputation is ruined!"

But Pansy rocks the most.

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2002, 04:37:44 PM »
Dear VAM,
I totally agree, Nancy was one of the most versatile actresses on the show. Her skills as a character actor brilliantly show through the various characters she played on DS, (the best example is Charity Trask/Pansy Faye).

As I mentioned in an eariler post, Linda and I are currently watching the 1897 storyline, courtesy of MPI, (we are up to 3/20/69) so we are looking forward to seeing the Charity/Pansy Faye eps. Another character actor award would have to go to Grayson Hall for her excellent portrayal of Magda the gypsy.

It seems many of the cast were able to utilize thier talents to the fullest during the 1897 storyline.

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2002, 04:57:32 PM »

It seems many of the cast were able to utilize thier talents to the fullest during the 1897 storyline.

B

I thought Lara Parker became  even more comfortable with her part.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2002, 05:40:23 PM »
Good point. The strict direction of Henry (Transish) Kaplan apparently paid off, (remember from  the DS Companion where she describes his strict grading of each actor's daily performance.

Lara seemed much more confident with her role by this time.
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2002, 06:30:44 PM »
Good point. The strict direction of Henry (Transish) Kaplan apparently paid off, (remember from  the DS Companion where she describes his strict grading of each actor's daily performance.

Lara seemed much more confident with her role by this time.

It is very discernable to me if its a Kaplan or Swift episode.  No disrespect for Lilia, we WANT women (and Lila earned being) there behind the cameras but Henry really did seem to pull the best out of the actors.  Lara, Nancy and Grayson in particular.  He said something to Grayson that made her less mannered and 'smaller' in her actions. . .maybe something like --"you're not on the stage baby! Play it for the living room."

Also, what diction school did Lara go to, I need some lessons. . boy could she bite a line in half or what?!
Julia99

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2002, 08:02:13 PM »
1795's a bit of a transition, acting and direction-wise, and I'm not sure it was initially successful -- you can almost sense something tentative about the whole style, with the actors unsure if they should be playing it as television or theatre.  

I think once they'd established the period style for the show, it was fine, and 1897 bore the fruits of the groundwork these episodes laid down, in that respect.
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2002, 11:43:20 PM »

However, I feel her best and most challenging role is yet to come - Charity Trask/Pansy Faye. You have to love the verbal exchanges ::)between Barrett and Jerry Lacy in 1897. Does anyone agree?

I totally agree, VAM!  Charity/Pansy was the character that really made me appreciate just how incredibly talented Ms. Barrett is.  Her later characters (Carolyn Loomis, Carolyn Fredericks) were also strikingly impressive.

The dynamics between Lacy and Barrett in 1897 were also well worth watching. One of things that I really admire about DS is how the actors are constantly relating to one another in different ways.  For instance, in one story line, Jerry Lacy plays Nancy Barrett's beau; in another he plays her father.  Yet, they always manage to make it believable.

ProfStokes

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2002, 03:31:51 AM »
Stuart. . i luv your icon, I considered that shot myself. . its very lovely. . .who does your hair? [jester]

[flmthrw] (MB/MD don't flame me I just couldn't help myself!)
Julia99