Author Topic: Art Wallace's "The House"  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Art Wallace's "The House"
« on: May 30, 2004, 04:07:59 AM »
This is an off-shoot of a conversation started in a Shadowgram Update thread in the Announcements area of the board.

MB wrote:

Wallace based much of the original idea for DS on his teleplay for The House, which is about a reclusive woman named Caroline, whose husband had been mising for years, and her daughter Elizabeth. (Wallace simply switched the characters' names of the characters for DS - and changed Caroline to Carolyn.  ;)) I've only read bits and pieces about it, though, so I'm not sure if Caroline also believed she'd murdered her husband. But I suppose we'll find out at the Fest...

I've wanted to read the script for "The House" since finding out about it in Art Wallaces' story bible, "Shadows on the Wall."  I would also like to see the original broadcast on Goodyear Playhouse in 1958.  Does anyone know who was in it?

Perhaps someone involved in the festival could see if the script is available, perhpas for purchase (in which case, I'd pay for someone to buy me one and mail it!).  Is there someone I might contact from the festival?

I'd be interested in comparing "The House" with "Shadows on the Wall."  Just one area of interest I have would be to see if the "House of the Seven Gables" influence was in the "The House."

Also, was there a Victoria Winters/governess of unknown origins character in "The House"?
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Art Wallace's "The House"
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 04:36:59 AM »
I would also like to see the original broadcast on Goodyear Playhouse in 1958.  Does anyone know who was in it?

I did a quick Google search and came up with:

Caroline - Hope Emerson
Elizabeth - Frances Sternhagen
Jeb - Jay C. Flippen
Larry - Peter Mark Richman
Walt -Ford Rainey
Martha - Paula Trueman

(I wonder if the Walt character is comparable to the Shadows on the Wall bible's Walt Cummings, who would later become Jason McGuire? If so, then I suppose Caroline did indeed believe she'd killed her husband.)

Perhaps someone involved in the festival could see if the script is available

Considering some of the DS actors will be performing it at the Fest, the script must be available somewhere for them to have gotten a copy of it. (Well, unless someone transcribed it from the kinescope of the original broadcast. The kinescope was supposed to be shown at a few different Fests, but it always got bumped.  :()

Also, was there a Victoria Winters/governess of unknown origins character in "The House"?

I don't think so. I seem to recall something about the only people Caroline sees are her piano students. And in light of that, it's Interesting how we see Liz playing the piano in episode #2.

Vicki would seem to be the part DC's dream brought to the mix...

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2004, 08:15:58 AM »
And there was a character named Jeb!  I wonder who or what he was?!
Josette

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 04:56:54 AM »
OK, last post for the night, I promise (seems once I start I can't stop ...), I've looked all over the darkshadowsfestival website in vain for pansyfaye's e-mail address to ask her about this, but can't find her e-mail address there ... If her email address is available publicly, could someone kindly direct me to it?

thanks ...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 07:25:27 AM »
I've looked all over the darkshadowsfestival website in vain for pansyfaye's e-mail address to ask her about this, but can't find her e-mail address there ... If her email address is available publicly, could someone kindly direct me to it?

How odd that it's not there anymore.  I wonder if she even realizes it.  Anyway, you can address it to pansyfaye via the festival domain (darkshadowsfestival.com).

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 02:41:38 PM »
I would love to find out more about this story, MB.  Where did you find your info?  I looked up several of the actors in IMDB and could not find any references to The House or Goodyear Playhouse in any of the credits.

Thanks!
Nelson
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Art Wallace's "The House"
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 03:18:25 PM »
There's a summary of the storyline for "The House" in one of those PomPress books--I think the revised version of the DS Almanac?  From what I can recall, Caroline is a reclusive widow who makes ends meet by teaching piano to village pupils.  Her unruly daughter is Elizabeth.  I think the story revolved around plans for a party in the titular "House."  (OTOH, my memory could be fabricating that last bit.)  From the scraps I can recall, the story bore no resemblance to anything by Hawthorne--certainly not House of the 7 Gables.

G.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 03:26:49 PM »
I've been informed that the script for "The House" will not be made available for sale (nor otherwise available).

It doesn't really sound much like "our" DS from Gothick's description, and if it doesn't have any Hawthorne 7 Gables themes either, then I guess I won't feel so bad about not seeing it or being able to read it.  (Trying to console myself ...  :'(  )

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 07:30:24 PM »
I went to www.tvtome.com (which has episode guides and lists for almost every television show) and found "Goodyear Television Playhouse".  the show ended in 1957 and there was no episode titled "The House" in the episode guide.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2004, 03:20:54 PM »
I went to www.tvtome.com (which has episode guides and lists for almost every television show) and found "Goodyear Television Playhouse".  the show ended in 1957 and there was no episode titled "The House" in the episode guide.

According to the MPI website, The House aired on Goodyear TV Playhouse on September 8, 1957.  Here is the link:

http://www.mpimedia.com/darkshadows/history/hist8.html
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 12:34:11 AM »

Sometimes books are still better than the Internet.  :D

The reference book "Television Drama Series Programming: a Comprehensive Chronicle, 1947-1959" does list The House by Art Wallace showing on Sept. 8, 1957 as a part of The Goodyear Theatre, which at that time was alternating with The Alcoa Hour.

Reference Librarian Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2004, 02:32:36 PM »
Quote from MB:
Walt -Ford Rainey

Mark...any relation???

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2004, 02:42:29 PM »
Threw me off, cause off of TVtome, I typed in Goodyear Playhouse...but I believe it ended in '57 (not '58).

But I hope here's a link:
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-4100/epid-218402/

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2004, 04:07:37 PM »
Mark...any relation???

Not that I know of. Interestingly, Ford very closely resembles the males on my mother's side of the family. But they aren't Raineys.

--M
http://home.triad.rr.com/smrainey

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2004, 08:54:09 AM »
Throughout the past 15 years or so, the Festival has unsuccessfully attempted to locate a kinescope of "The House". However, this did not stop them from prematurely announcing that it would be featured as part of the special programming.

As taken from the DS Festival 10th Anniversary program book (August 1993):

"RARE VIDEO PROGRAMMING- You'll also see 'The House', the 1957 TV drama by DARK SHADOWS writer Art Wallace (DS was based on this rare program)."

I don't know what happened but apparently the deal to obtain this rare program fell through at the last moment, as it was not shown at the Festival that year, or any other year since. I guess this dramatization is the next best thing. Hopefully someday a kinescope will turn up!

SDP