Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0908  (Read 1752 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0908
« on: March 21, 2015, 06:15:30 PM »
Robservations #908

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0908

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 01:50:45 AM »
Alexander spanks Liz verbally.  Stoddard asks Maggie to look out for Alex and half a dozen other vague things, convinces another person he's crazy.  Roger's home!  It's always funny now just seeing him come in and put his hat and coat and briefcase away, maybe because he's like an intruder from the outside world, maybe because I know his 1966 self now.  Business trips, right.   He's brought a transistor radio for David, which David promptly gives to Alexander.

Alex has David plant an image of a young Carolyn Paul never saw in Paul's mind, by showing him a family album, so that the image could be brought to life by Alexander later.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 05:21:42 PM »
Welcome, heavy breathing by an unseen creature/person/Leviathan/whatever!

David sets up his old Hot Wheels race track (I remember those!) for Alexander in what must be the Worst Play Date Ever. I also remember those transistor radios--they were cool.

Paul is wearing a shawl-collared cardigan as befits his new status as a gentleman of (enforced) leisure.

Maggie makes her first trip down the Great Staircase in her micro-mini dress. She talks to Paul, but Elizabeth, in full zombie mode, tells her to disregard what he says.

Roger emerges from the study, and he and Maggie chat pleasantly for a moment. Suddenly all the pleasantness is wiped from Roger’s face as he sees Paul Stoddard coming downstairs. Maggie beats a hasty retreat. My dear Roger, Paul starts. Don’t call me that, Roger snaps. How nice to see you again, Paul says cheerfully. It is not nice to see you, Roger answers, I don’t know why you’re back here. Your sister insisted on it, Paul replies blandly. Elizabeth steps out from the servants’ door and confirms it. _What?_ Roger practically shouts in dismay. Paul tells them, Well, if I remember you two well, I know that you like to quarrel alone. So have a pleasant battle. I will be my room waiting to congratulate the winner. If history repeats itself, I know who that winner will be. He goes upstairs. In the drawing room, Elizabeth tells Roger, Paul has changed--he tore up the check you gave Carolyn. I have forgotten nothing that he did in the past, and I’m not concerned with what people will say. [Apparently Roger shares this concern with his grandfather Edward.] All that concerns me is Carolyn’s happiness. I know I can’t do anything about Paul being back, Roger says, but I’m determined to find out the reason. I think it has nothing to do with what you’ve said. He storms out, leaving Elizabeth with an inscrutable expression on her face.

Paul is up in his room--which despite being called the Blue Room, is actually green, like every other room at Collinwood. He takes off his sweater and hears a child giggling. He finds Alexander hiding behind an armchair. David and I are playing hide and seek, the boy says, so I need to find a new hiding place. Paul grabs him before he can leave and asks, How long will you be staying in town? I don’t know, Alexander replies. Is Philip Todd really your uncle? Paul asks. Alexander pushes away from him and runs out. He slips through a curtained alcove in the hallway. Paul follows but doesn’t see where Alexander went. He calls a couple of times but gets no answer. He is about to return to his room when he hears slow, heavy breathing from behind the curtain. He comes closer as the breathing gets louder. He pauses to collect his wits and courage, then pulls the curtains apart. His eyes widen at what he sees......

After many credits reading "Fashions Courtesy of Ohrbach's," a new following credit appears: "Miss Scott's Clothes from Junior Sophisticates."

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 09:15:48 PM »
Paul tells them, Well, if I remember you two well, I know that you like to quarrel alone. So have a pleasant battle. I will be my room waiting to congratulate the winner. If history repeats itself, I know who that winner will be.

That is without a doubt my favorite part of this ep!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 06:43:20 PM »
Yes, one of the greatest speeches in the whole series!  [snow_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 02:04:21 AM »
It's really too bad that the Paul/Elizabeth storyline was so dreadfully shortchanged at this point in the proceedings.  Today's scene between Paul, Roger and Elizabeth hints at how great it could all have been.  Sounds like the work of Violet Welles, but I haven't checked to see who the credited writer was.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 02:43:54 AM »
I agree, Gothick. A little more depth into the Stoddard/Collins relations would have been most welcome. And it would have offset some of the more outrageous stuff that's around the corner.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 04:01:05 AM »
The ep is credited to Sam Hall.

And sadly, outrageous doesn't even begin to describe certain bits/twists that are upcoming. But don't get me started...

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 04:54:39 PM »
Me neither, MB.

It's too bad the Paul-Elizabeth story couldn't have gone further.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 02:20:36 AM »
There were a few other good moments in this aborted Paul/Elizabeth plotline.  It's a thrill (for me at least) to see the two facing off in Paul's hotel room.  The last good non-supernatural storyline was Jason/Liz and this revived that brilliant writing and acting briefly.  I think these were the last such moments on DS.  I guess the Melanie parentage storyline in 1841 PT could be seen as an attempt to have such a storyline and Nancy and Grayson were brilliant in that but the storyline ultimately fell flat for me due to a couple of specific reasons.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 11:09:44 AM »
I also greatly enjoyed the liz/paul scenes and some good non-supernatural, soap storytelling...

and it did seem abruptly cut short. but do we know it was "aborted"??? wasn't paul brought back for the leviathan storyline??? was this part of the plot originally intended to go in a more "normal" direction???

and the dawn of the "junior sophisticates" era. miss scott's ascension to principal ingénue-in-residence is complete!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 03:02:54 PM »
I suspect the Paul Stoddard story line would have unfolded at a more leisurely pace if [spoiler]Dennis Patrick hadn't been picked to be in the movie Joe. [/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 09:51:51 AM »
I found Joe on a cheap VHS at a Walgreen's... Susan Sarandon plays his daughter, her first part.

I just accidentally rewrote my notes for #908, thinking it was #926, that's how out of it I am, so I'm posting these too:

Alexander spanks Liz, verbally.  That must have been fun for these child actors...  Paul Stoddard asks Maggie about Alexander.  Roger's home!  Hi Daddy!!  It's always funny to me whenever Roger walks in the front door, why is that?  Maybe it's like when a sitcom father gets home from the office, only he doesn't know there's a zombie in the drawing room or something... or maybe Roger is impermeably stuffy and serious, like a politician or general on Monty Python.

Roger has bought a transistor radio for David.  I remember how mine changed my life in Christmas 1972...  More interesting than Alex appropriating it is later when he has David plant a memory of how Carolyn looked as a child in Paul Stoddard's head, via a family photo album, so Paul would recognize young Carolyn when Alex posed as her... since Paul actually never saw her as a child in real life.  Strangely complicated, and classically DS.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 03:13:18 PM »
Yes, poor Roger, never knowing what to expect! But he's consistently stuffy and pompous through it all....

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 03:25:57 PM »
Susan Sarandon was doing soaps in NYC around this time. She was playing Patrice Kahlman in the virtually forgotten A World Apart around this time, so it's conceivable that she might have ended up on Dark Shadows if things had gone a bit differently.  [snow_rolleyes] [snow_silly]
Fade Away and Radiate