Author Topic: OT: Alec Newman in Angel 5.21 "Power Play"  (Read 1276 times)

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
OT: Alec Newman in Angel 5.21 "Power Play"
« on: May 13, 2004, 07:32:06 AM »
Hot off the West Coast feed, here are some caps of Alec Newman's appearance in Angel 5.21 "Power Play" where he reprises his role as Drogyn.

and then my gift for Midnite.  (This is Spike.)

I really see why they cast him as Barnabas for the pilot.  He's got some rugged good chiseled looks, eyes that would launch a 1,000 ships, has the English accent down ;), and is a good actor.
[/size][/color][/FONT]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re:OT: Alec Newman in Angel 5.21 "Power Play"
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 04:45:37 PM »
Isn't Alec Newman Scots?  I think that explains why he "has the English accent down."

I did watch and I saw some of his work in the Dune thing.  I think he is very talented but I still cannot imagine him as Barnabas.  It sounds from the current buzz as if I'm not going to have the chance anytime soon, anyway.

Although the MB said one did not need to have watched Angel to "get" Newman's character, I'm afraid I still found his actions in the story an incomprehensible muddle.  He looked fabulous, though, especially when he was cleaned up.

Is Newman showing up again next week?  I'm afraid I have had all I can take of "Angel."

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 05:16:49 PM »
What, no grab of Lindsey?  Just kidding, and thank you for thinking of me.  :)

Re: the 3rd capture.  My daughter HAD to point out the silliness of Barnabas playing Crash Bandicoot.  "Gathering candies... and fruit," snort.

Is Newman showing up again next week?

You didn't watch the whole thing? [spoiler]Angel killed him.  I could've sworn he said in his other appearance that he was immortal, but I could be mistaken.

A poster on the televisionwithoutpity forums wrote that it's no coincidence that Angel murdered the lead actor in DS.  Note to self:  stop reading those boards.[/spoiler]
I'm afraid I have had all I can take of "Angel."

You and me both.  And fans can't understand why it's ending, sigh.

I can also see why MB dislikes David Fury.  Talk talk talk; I thought Angel's speech would never end.  Who does Angel think he is-- Buffy?

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 05:27:56 PM »
Hi Midnite!

Regarding Drogyn,

[spoiler]I did hear dialogue that stated he was immortal.  Plus, it seemed as if he had been in some part of the Otherworld.  So I don't see how he could have been "killed."  But the lack of any sense to this stuff is why I got out of the Buffyverse years ago.[/spoiler]

Oh, that was David Fury?  Hm, must explain why that dialogue was sooo exSCREWxiatingly awful.  I couldn't help giggling throughout that chick in the Cher wig's speeches.  I wondered whether she was medicated because of how relentlessly deadpan her delivery was.  The I decided it was the only way she could get through the dialogue without busting up.

Just a question--are the "Senior Partner" demons supposed to look like ad execs in really bad Halloween costumes?  Or is that part meant to be ironic?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 06:19:59 PM »
Gothick, I've got a pot of tea on.  Won't you pop over?, and we can get caught up.

Just a question--are the "Senior Partner" demons supposed to look like ad execs in really bad Halloween costumes?  Or is that part meant to be ironic?

[lghy]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 06:23:34 PM »
Midnite darling, I am soooo THERE.

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 06:26:55 PM »
 :-*

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 07:33:31 PM »
What, no grab of Lindsey?  Just kidding, and thank you for thinking of me.  :)

Well he'll have to hold you for now.  I'll try to get you another one later on.   

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 05:04:59 AM »
Although the MB said one did not need to have watched Angel to "get" Newman's character, I'm afraid I still found his actions in the story an incomprehensible muddle.

I'm sorry if what I'd said gave you that impression. What I'd meant was that one didn't need to know anything about Newman's character in order to understand the description of the episode to which Midnite had provided the link.

The truth is that, though I have them all on tape, I haven't seen any of this season's Angel episodes. I fell behind near the end of last season and have yet to catch up. (I haven't even watched the first seven of the last eight episodes of Buffy either - I've only seen the actual finale. So, for me, Buffy hasn't actually ended  ;)  - and neither will Angel when the finale airs next week...)